This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book Chat

I was just wondering what novels all of you enjoy and would like to recommend to others. I really love reading, so discussing books with others will be a blast!

Here is my list of top books:

Great Expectations By: Charles Dickens (tied for first) Memoirs of a Geisha By: Arthur Golden

Cold Sassy Tree By: Olive Ann Burns

A Child Called "It" By: Dave Pelzer

Angela's Ashes By: Frank McCourt

Night By: Elie Wiesel

The Hours By: Michael Cunningham

Several historical-fiction books about various female historical figures (I would be more specific, but there are tons that I have read)
    By: Jean Plaidy

The entire Harry Potter Series By: J.K Rowling

Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, an American Slave By: Frederick Douglass

Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl By: Harriet Jacobs

House on Mango Street By: Sandra Cisneros

The entire Clique series By: Lisi Harrison

Mythology By: Edith Hamilton

Wuthering Heights By: Emily Bronte

Girls of Many Lands: Leyla, The Black Tulip By: Alev Lytle Croutier

Farenheit 451 By: Ray Bradbury

There are so... many more, but I didn't want to list too many.
    Last edited by Lady_Ivory_Rocks; 11-04-2006, 07:00 AM.

Re: Book Chat

I should start reading those books! Haven't read any of THOSE yet.HAve you tried "Spin Control" ? It's a good and romantic book in my case.Realistic fiction but very kewl.Also <3 Each Little Bird That Sings..Made my teacher cry so much she could barely breathe.I cried too but not nearly as much.

Comment

I haven't read those (not very into romance novels). Also, I want to read To Kill a Mockingbird by: Harper Lee, but we are going to read it next year and I do not want to spoil the fun! LOL

Comment

Yes! A book thread!! I love books!! So here are a few I reccomend:

1. The Molly Moon Series. This is about a girl in a british orphanage who discovers she has the amazing ability to hyptnotize people. Throughout the series she gains other ability's such as, stopping time, and traveling throguh time. It may get a little weird toward the end, but they are a fun read

2. Harry Potter. I love these. Period.

3. Series of Unfortunate Events. Another awesome series. There's another thread on this you could read, but still awesome books.

4. Meg Cabot. Ok, so this is an author, but her books rock! I've read almost every single one of these, and I simply love them. However they are more for the teenage girl.

5. POTO!!! Yes it is a book. Read it. It rocks.

6. Roald Dahl. Yes another another, and although his books are more for children, they still are awesome and fun to read.

7. Louis Sachar. Another author. He wrote Holes, which I think is one of the coolest books ever written, but he also wrote some other books like, The WaySide School series and, um, a continuation of holes, "Small Steps", and some others, but none of which I've read. My suggestion? If your looking for something not to challenging, but very fun to read, read the Wayside Series. You can read it over and over, and still laugh :lol:

So there is some off the top of my head. I like some others, but can't really think of them right now. Anyways, hope you find something you like.

Comment

I have read all of #2, all of #3, a few of #6, a few of #7, and I may have read a Meg Cabot book once.

Comment

I want to read
            To Kill A Mockingbird
            Molly Moon Series(Thanks for recommending Jaybeth!)
            and the author books Meg Cabot

I also recommend "Millificent Min,Girl Genius" (I believe that's the titel and I've only gotten about to page 50.I was borrowing from a friend then she had to go home sadly)

Comment

I have never heard of the Molly Moon series, or the books you recommend, princess. I will have to research those.
              Here is another book that I am going to read soon and that I recommend:

Great Expectations By: Charles Dickens

I have always been quite fond of Mark Twain books as well.

Comment

I Insist That You Read The Book At The Top Of My List!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lol

Comment

Memoirs of a Geisha is exellent!

And so is "To Kill A Mocking Bird"

Personally, the book is way better than the movie.
                  *Pokes*

Comment

Books are ALWAYS... better than the movies. Any thoughts about the ending of Memoirs of a Geisha, by: Arthur Golden?

Comment

Sometimes, they kill a book by coming out with a movie.
                      I loved it. (Memoirs of a Geisha) There is about nobody that I have met that hates that book.
                      *Pokes*

Comment

The ending made me so happy (you will always need your happy endings now and again)! I was glad she got a happy ending because she deserved it; the book makes you feel and live the main character's life, so you want the character to be happy.

Comment

All this book talk makes meh curl up in my bed reading a Lemony Snicket series...ah how I wish I was home!

Maybe i'll try those Harry Potter books....
                          *Pokes*

Comment

Oh, please do!

Comment

I'll start from the first book...unless there isn't any need to go in order.
                              *Pokes*

Comment

Debate (or not) of The Day: Should books ever be banned?

I am strongly opposed to the banning of books. If parents don't want their children to read certain books, then they should just stop their children, not others. Also, I can't stand it when people burn books. When you burn a book you, are burning a person's thoughts and feelings, which is just as bad as burning the person. Burning a book is like burning a soul.

Comment

Originally posted by HarvestMoonRocks View Post
                                  I'll start from the first book...unless there isn't any need to go in order.
                                  Always go in order with series, especially the Harry Potter series.

Comment

I <3 these books =]]
                                    (yes I like some of the same as Jaybeth)

Holes By Louis Sachar
                                    Small Steps By Louis Sachar
                                    Series of Unfortunate Events By Lemony Snicket
                                    Harry Potter Books By J.K Rowling
                                    The Molly Moon Series By Georgia Byng
                                    Lily Crossing By Patricia Reilly
                                    The Charlie Bone Series By Jenny Nimmo
                                    Inkheart and Inkspell By Cornelia Funke
                                    Dragon Rider By Cornelia Funke
                                    The Theif Lord By Cornelia Funke
                                    Eragon and Eldest By Christopher Paolini
                                    The Whitch of Blackbird Pond By Elizabeth George Speare
                                    Homeless Bird By Gloria Whelan
                                    Number the Stars By Louis Lowry

Comment

Originally posted by Lady_Ivory_Rocks View Post
                                      Always go in order with series, especially the Harry Potter series.
                                      Alright, thanks.

I miss reading so much lol. I really have to go to the library sometime.
                                      *Pokes*

Comment

Out of those, I have read the Harry Potter series, Series of Unfortunate Events, Witch of Blackbird Pond, and Number the Stars.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X