This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sony Getting Ambitious!

They need to do something to excuse that crazy high price point on the PS3! Sony seems to be all about connecting the PSP and the PS3, and here's some new info on that...

Originally posted by PSPUpdates.com
    GameWatch says that Sony says that the PS3 will "throw" (yep, "throw") its video signal to the PSP using Wi-Fi. This means that the PSP can be used to control and see the related PS3 game, making the handheld sort of a Location-free PS3 - minus the six-axis motion-sense, right analog stick, and two shoulder buttons, though.
    For those that don't know, a Location Free player is a device that allows you to see whatever is on your tv, on your PSP or PC via wifi. If you connect it to your TiVo, you can literally watch your programs from any wifi source. Pretty cool, but Location Free players cost a whopping $350!!! Too much money considering how hard it is to find wifi access currently. However, it's a cool feature to have on the PS3. The article also mentions how the PSP will be used with PS3 games. For example, a demo of an F-1 game used the PSP as a rear view mirror. In Metal Gear Solid 4, the PSP can control a small robot that can assist Snake in Real time.

And now for strictly PSP news...

Some of you know that the PSP will be getting a camera and a GPS peripheral. Here's some info on new features reported for the GPS add-on.

Originally posted by PSPUpdates.com
    Sony stops at nothing when it comes to marketing gimmicks. We are already aware of the GPS and camera capability that will come soon on PSP -- something we think that Sony does only to make the PSP more appealing even to non-gamers. Consider, for example, the golf players. They won't normally buy a PSP just so they can play Hot Shots Golf, but the PSP's ability to actually provide all the golf data that they need in a real Japanese golf course may be indispensable to them. The PSP then turns into a personal golf assistant.

In Homestar: 21st Century Navigator, the GPS lets you get night sky data. Again, this function may appeal to stargazers and astronomy hobbyists and not just to players. But about the most gaming use we can find from the GPS system can be found in Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops. The GPS function allows you to take advantage of Wi-Fi hotspots to earn powered-up bonus characters that you can use in the Comrade system. Then again, Konami has mentioned that the GPS can be useful in other fields as well, such as education and services.
    PS3-PSP
    PSP GPS

Re: Sony Getting Ambitious!

Me and a bunch of my friends had this epiphany months ago, and it's really harsh and just plain mean, but honestly... we would sort of like to see Sony fail this generation. It's ideas like this (GPS, really?) that put the PSP a little further from being any real gaming competition. And if Sony keeps this up, trying to add every bit of productivity technology into their "game" systems, gamers won't follow.

Sony is ambitious, yes. But ambitious isn't always a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by pizzamousechips View Post
      Me and a bunch of my friends had this epiphany months ago, and it's really harsh and just plain mean, but honestly... we would sort of like to see Sony fail this generation. It's ideas like this (GPS, really?) that put the PSP a little further from being any real gaming competition. And if Sony keeps this up, trying to add every bit of productivity technology into their "game" systems, gamers won't follow.

I disagree. If you look at society, everyone is all about connectivity and technology. We want a lot of features in a small sleek package. Cell phones can literally do a little bit of everything from playing music, to navigation, to video. Why shouldn't our gaming devices do the same?

Personally, I think the GPS has the potential to be a cool device. Imagine broadcasting a signal from your PSP that allows you to see other PSP users in your area. You guys could get together and get some multi-player action! Or how about racing in real cities on real streets? There a lot of possibilities.

It's proven that gamers are the most forward thinking in terms of technology and new electronics. We're usually the first to jump on anything new. If anything, Sony will continue to keep its pulse on the gaming community and also intice non-gamers through extra features. A lot of businessmen bought PSP's early on as a way to watch movies without carrying portable DVD players with 2 hour batteries.

Sony is making one HUGE mistake... Games. No matter how powerful, sexy, innovative a system is, it means diddly if you don't have entertaining games. I really enjoy my PSP, but there's no denying that it's a bit sluggish on the must haves. The DS is lesser in everything spec wise, but it's embraced because of the number of titles available. The same goes for the PS2.

Hopefully Sony can balance these things. I'm not really the type to be anti :insert name of hated corporation here:, as long as they mae products I enjoy, I support them. When they fail, I move on.

Comment

I see your point. I'm looking at your point. I'll leave your point alone.

I think we'll be fine as long as we have a respectable game company like Nintendo, who actually keeps the focus on games, even with any other amount of companies that branch the gaming industry into Bluray/HD-DVD watching, GPS tracking, bluetooth linking, honk-if-you-love-technology users.

Within time, technology will consume us all. Your TV will be connected to a network that also electronically recognizes your living room sofa, your bedroom bookcase, and even your toaster. I just don't want that to happen too soon in our gaming.

However, I still think it's fine as long as there are still purists like Nintendo, keeping the focus on fun and games. Sony's ambition is not what I see as a good thing, but if they want to put games as a lower priority, that's their decision.

Comment

Why would you want any of the 3 to fail at all?! Are you threatened or something? IF so thats just weird and a little sad not to dis u or anything.
          As for the other comment yes the PSP lacks MUST HAVE games it has around at least 12 good ones I would say but lok at the XBOX it had 1 Halo and somehow it survived. Still consoles and handhelds are different way different but the PSP is a revolution in handheld gaming never has a portable game been a GB or larger!

Comment

Originally posted by Magus View Post
            Why would you want any of the 3 to fail at all?! Are you threatened or something? IF so thats just sad!
            We were looking at it from a consumer stand point. If $600 consoles and $70 games sell well, our future can't be good. If Nintendo and Microsoft succeed with lower prices, and the higher prices fail, gamers will be happy campers come next-next-gen.

To sum up, if they get away with big price tags, small price tags will disappear.

Plus, if they fail this gen, they'll come back next-gen with their focus realigned. Gamers will benefit.

Comment

I think we'll be fine as long as we have a respectable game company like Nintendo, who actually keeps the focus on games, even with any other amount of companies that branch the gaming industry into Bluray/HD-DVD watching, GPS tracking, bluetooth linking, honk-if-you-love-technology users.
              Here's the thing, Nintendo does the same thing...

They release gobs of peripherals that do something with tehnology, and then abandon it. I know I have a lot of Nintendo plastic stuffed in closet somewhere...

Nintendo has to pull in the consumers that it's abandoned. There's a huge portion of the market that simply up and left because Nintendo failed to deliver on all platforms. It's important for them to capitalize on that. I don't think they will.

There's nothing wrong with playing Mario/Zelda/Metroid games, but it'd be nice to play a few M rated games too.

Within time, technology will consume us all. Your TV will be connected to a network that also electronically recognizes your living room sofa, your bedroom bookcase, and even your toaster. I just don't want that to happen too soon in our gaming.

However, I still think it's fine as long as there are still purists like Nintendo, keeping the focus on fun and games. Sony's ambition is not what I see as a good thing, but if they want to put games as a lower priority, that's their decision.[/quote]

Comment

As for the other comment yes the PSP lacks MUST HAVE games it has around at least 12 good ones I would say but lok at the XBOX it had 1 Halo and somehow it survived. Still consoles and handhelds are different way different but the PSP is a revolution in handheld gaming never has a portable game been a GB or larger!
                Yes, the PSP (and most of what Sony is doing) is technologically revolutionary. That's their strong point. Even you both agree, games are their weak point. Isn't that what this is about, though? Video games?

Comment

Originally posted by Soulquarian View Post
                  Here's the thing, Nintendo does the same thing...

They release gobs of peripherals that do something with tehnology, and then abandon it. I know I have a lot of Nintendo plastic stuffed in closet somewhere...

Nintendo has to pull in the consumers that it's abandoned. There's a huge portion of the market that simply up and left because Nintendo failed to deliver on all platforms. It's important for them to capitalize on that. I don't think they will.

There's nothing wrong with playing Mario/Zelda/Metroid games, but it'd be nice to play a few M rated games too.
                  I don't quite see that as the same thing, can you give me some examples? I know of the bongos, a camera for the GB, an e-Card reader, the Virtual Boy (not a peripheral but I guess it counts), link cables for portables... I know I'm missing a bunch but I can't think of any that are specifically for non-gaming use.

I'm not hating on the GPS. GPS is amazing, great, useful, etc. But it's use on a gaming machine will be more for productivity than gaming.

I'm trying to say that the reason Sony is adding these things is simply because they can. It seems they'd put in any easy-to-integrate high-tech enhancement if they can. Nintendo thinks a little bit differently, I'd say.

Comment

Still consoles and handhelds are different way different but the PSP is a revolution in handheld gaming never has a portable game been a GB or larger!
                    This is where Nintendo has an adavantage. Their name is synonomous with handheld gaming. They have over 10 years of experience. One problem that Sony faced was how to make games that were fun in small doses. They're getting better with it. They also have yet to get really strong third party support.

We were looking at it from a consumer stand point. If $600 consoles and $70 games sell well, our future can't be good. If Nintendo and Microsoft succeed with lower prices, and the higher prices fail, gamers will be happy campers come next-next-gen.

To sum up, if they get away with big price tags, small price tags will disappear.

Plus, if they fail this gen, they'll come back next-gen with their focus realigned. Gamers will benefit.
                    One thing I've learned in school is that consumers on average are pretty dumb. There's a compromise. Quality or price. We skipped out on BetaMax depsite the fact that it had higher quality than VHS, because of the price. Many people will probably do the same about Blu-Ray despite it being better than HD DVD.

Consider the fact that with your PS3, you get a Blu-Ray player. You've already gotten nearly $1000 in savings. Blu-Ray players cost about $1500 right now. You get a Blu-Ray player AND PS3 for under a grand? That's a steal!

Most consumers won't get see that. They won't even know what Blu-Ray is, and will complain about another format instead. Or some will boycott because Sony hits kids/kills kittens/insert ridiculous reason for hating a corporation here/.

I want games, but I also want value. I see an exceptional one with the PS3.

I don't quite see that as the same thing, can you give me some examples? I know of the bongos, a camera for the GB, an e-Card reader, the Virtual Boy (not a peripheral but I guess it counts), link cables for portables... I know I'm missing a bunch but I can't think of any that are specifically for non-gaming use.

I'm not hating on the GPS. GPS is amazing, great, useful, etc. But it's use on a gaming machine will be more for productivity than gaming.

I'm trying to say that the reason Sony is adding these things is simply because they can. It seems they'd put in any easy-to-integrate high-tech enhancement if they can. Nintendo thinks a little bit differently, I'd say.
                    I'm specifically talking about gaming use. How silly is that to have an expensive controller that you only use once? Yet Nintendo does it again and again. They re-sell Gameboys with minor upgrades, and their fans eat it up. I think everyone can name a friend with at least 2 Gameboys of the same generation.

Comment

Consider the fact that with your PS3, you get a Blu-Ray player. You've already gotten nearly $1000 in savings. Blu-Ray players cost about $1500 right now. You get a Blu-Ray player AND PS3 for under a grand? That's a steal!

Most consumers won't get see that. They won't even know what Blu-Ray is, and will complain about another format instead. Or some will boycott because Sony hits kids/kills kittens/insert ridiculous reason for hating a corporation here/.

I want games, but I also want value. I see an exceptional one with the PS3.
                      Ah, I didn't know you were a DVD fan. So am I. I agree with the value of the PS3 in terms of what it has to offer (although BR players are $1000 right about now). But without the option of a cheaper PS3 model, this forces us to adopt the BR format.

Microsoft was nice enough to let us choose, keeping the HD DVD drive as a separate option (which is coming soon). If Microsoft made it built-in with no option of not having it, the 360 price would've been a lot higher.

What if Nintendo then did the same, adding a video viewing format on its console? The Wii system would also be $600 dollars. We'd be stuck with next-gen consoles that are all expensive investments for gaming.

I'm saying that since Nintendo is focusing on games and not on multimedia, we're winning by being able to pay for only what we want: games.

Originally posted by Soulquarian
                      I'm specifically talking about gaming use. How silly is that to have an expensive controller that you only use once? Yet Nintendo does it again and again. They re-sell Gameboys with minor upgrades, and their fans eat it up. I think everyone can name a friend with at least 2 Gameboys of the same generation.
                      Not sure where you're going, but you are right. GameBoys did incredibly well, even with a handful of iterations. I think the beginning of the topic was that I said there are companies that turn the gaming industry "into Bluray/HD-DVD watching, GPS tracking, bluetooth linking, honk-if-you-love-technology users." Then you said Nintendo does the same thing. I'm not sure where we trailed, but ultimately my gesture is that Nintendo doesn't branch the industry into something other than it is. It keeps it gaming.

Comment

Not sure where you're going, but you are right. GameBoys did incredibly well, even with a handful of iterations. I think the beginning of the topic was that I said there are companies that turn the gaming industry "into Bluray/HD-DVD watching, GPS tracking, bluetooth linking, honk-if-you-love-technology users." Then you said Nintendo does the same thing. I'm not sure where we trailed, but ultimately my gesture is that Nintendo doesn't branch the industry into something other than it is. It keeps it gaming.
                        Ah, I see what you're saying. I think it's a good thing that every console doesn't automatically come with a next gen movie player. If you bought more than one system, you'd probably feel shafted!

Nintendo dabbles a "little bit" in multi-media features. I think the DS has pictochat, and I know a web browser is being developed. They keep their focus, and it forces the other guys to step up their innovation.

Personally, I think I'm going to get a Wii first, and then a PS3. They thought of playing all those classic Nintendo games I grew up with for free is a good gimmick for getting gamers like me who abandoned Nintendo to come back, and then wow us with the new games for the Wii. Good plan Nintendo.

I want a PS3, but I have a list of things to buy with $600 that come ahead of one. I'm also reluctant to get Sony or Microsoft systems when they're first released.

Comment

Personally, I think I'm going to get a Wii first, and then a PS3. They thought of playing all those classic Nintendo games I grew up with for free is a good gimmick for getting gamers like me who abandoned Nintendo to come back, and then wow us with the new games for the Wii. Good plan Nintendo.
                          Seriously good idea, Nintendo. I haven't purchased ANY gaming systems since the N64 and I am planning on coming back in November (been a PC gamer since then).

Plus as far as the $600 being a "steal" in reference to blu-ray... sorry but you still need a LARGE HDTV to see any difference between DVD and Blu-ray. So it isn't consumers being "stupid" in that aspect.

It is all still VERY EXPENSIVE. I mean, a new Mercedes 600SL is a steal at 80,000. But ... it's still too expensive
                          I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)
                          sigpic

Founding Member of the BA!

Comment

Originally posted by Chernabog View Post
                            Seriously good idea, Nintendo. I haven't purchased ANY gaming systems since the N64 and I am planning on coming back in November (been a PC gamer since then).

Plus as far as the $600 being a "steal" in reference to blu-ray... sorry but you still need a LARGE HDTV to see any difference between DVD and Blu-ray. So it isn't consumers being "stupid" in that aspect.

It is all still VERY EXPENSIVE. I mean, a new Mercedes 600SL is a steal at 80,000. But ... it's still too expensive
                            You don't need a large HDTV, just an HDTV. In five years time, HDTV's will be incredibly cheap. They've already dropped hundreds of dollars since their initial release.

You can get HDTV's for under $400. I remember going to fry's and seeing them for $15,000! Most likely, many of us will have invested in an HDTV within the next 5 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Chernabog View Post

Oh Cherny.... there's a big difference.... but you do need an HDTV with HDMI to really see it. Heck, I even have the (now discontinued) component cables hooked up to my Gamecube to run all Nintendo-brand Gamecube games in 480P (progressive scan) mode.... and HOLY HELL they look sooooooo much better then s-video or composite! We're talking 1080P resolution for Bluray discs, which is three times that of DVDs. It's going to be seriously awesome.... and the PS3 *IS* a huge bargain to enter the next-gen DVD player market early. But yes, you MUST have an HDTV (and hook your PS3 through to your TV with HDMI) to be able to see the difference. Or else, no, it won't look much different then your standard DVDs.

Comment

For what it's worth, my brother had the lucky chance to play the PS3 at a Sony electronics show last week. He could not stop raving about how great the technology is. He sais that the background on Grand Turismo looked like it was taken directly from video. Very realistic, crisp, graphics.

The word around Sony was that the regular population won't be able to purchase PS3s until April due to a back log on machinery to produce the PS3 machines. Not sure how reliable he information is. Based on Sony's history with having a shortage of products versus demand, I would not be surprised if the shoratge occurs.

He said there was another awesome item. It is a DVR recorder that can send recorded programs directly to the PSP. I soooo want one of those!

This information brought to you by a not so technical PSP owner who uses it solely for basic games.
                                Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.
                                I cannot confirm nor deny the inclusion of any attraction in the Rally.

May the Gumballs Be with You...Always.

NO GOATS!

Comment

Does PS3 = Betamax?

:mob:
                                  Plague Of Vampires | A Novel by Eric and Elizabeth Gerds:

Buy Now at Amazon

Comment

My roommates in college are your very typical gamers; they all own multiple consoles, they play World of Warcraft (an obsession I'll never get), and in the past they've been very middle of the road, mainstream gamers (PS2), whereas, I've been more on the fringe (GameCube).

However, after hearing about he Wii online, all of them have decided to get a Wii, based partly on it's price, but mainly on how well Nintendo has been selling it recently.

Plus, only graphics whores really care all that much about graphics. Sure, they're pretty to look at, but after about five minutes, as long as the graphics don't hinder the gameplay, I completely forget about them. Recently, I was playing Majora's Mask, and decided to pop in Wind Waker for a second. While it was a plesant surprise how nice Wind Waker looked in comparison, I soon forgot about the difference between each game's graphics.

To the poster who was complaining about Nintendo reselling the same Gameboy over and over again: you mean like the regular and slim PS2? PlayStation and PSone? PSzero? True, there have been several iterations of the Gameboy over the years, but each one has served to deliver a major improvement over the previous.

Gameboy Pocket: Less rediculously bulky, better battery life
                                    Gameboy Color: Um, I think this is obvious.
                                    Gamboy Advance: Another obvious one.
                                    Gameboy Advance SP: improved on the horrible GBA screen, and introduced rechargable battery.
                                    Gameboy Micro: Completely pointless outside of Japan. Why would Nintendo release this to America. I'd much prefer Earthbound 2 (Mother 3) instead.

Comment

Originally posted by mamabot View Post
                                      For what it's worth, my brother had the lucky chance to play the PS3 at a Sony electronics show last week. He could not stop raving about how great the technology is. He sais that the background on Grand Turismo looked like it was taken directly from video. Very realistic, crisp, graphics.
                                      That wasn't even a new Gran Turismo, it was just GT4 in HD! So you can imagine what the next real PS3 GT will be like...

He said there was another awesome item. It is a DVR recorder that can send recorded programs directly to the PSP. I soooo want one of those!
                                      That's been around for a while, but there are a multitude of programs that can do the same thing for hundreds of dollars cheaper. Supposedly the PS3 will be capable of this also.

Originally posted by ni_teach View Post
                                      Does PS3 = Betamax?

:mob:
                                      Could be, but like I said before, the average consumer is financially motivated, and not really quality motivated. I prefer Blu-ray over HD DVD because it's all around better. More space, more durability (people have taken steel wool the things and they STILL played fine)...

Originally posted by Mr Ness View Post
                                      My roommates in college are your very typical gamers; they all own multiple consoles, they play World of Warcraft (an obsession I'll never get), and in the past they've been very middle of the road, mainstream gamers (PS2), whereas, I've been more on the fringe (GameCube).

However, after hearing about he Wii online, all of them have decided to get a Wii, based partly on it's price, but mainly on how well Nintendo has been selling it recently.
                                      If anyone has the ability to push online gaming, it'll be PS3. With all the space on the HD, you'll be able to buy games online and store them on the console itself. It will mimick Xbox Live in many ways, and hopefully improve on a few things. More space on the discs, HDs, and servers will mean more players, and better specs mean less slowdown processing the information. Sony also has a larger variety of game genres than Nintendo does. Metroid is about as close to a good FPS that we're going to get from that camp.

Plus, only graphics whores really care all that much about graphics. Sure, they're pretty to look at, but after about five minutes, as long as the graphics don't hinder the gameplay, I completely forget about them. Recently, I was playing Majora's Mask, and decided to pop in Wind Waker for a second. While it was a plesant surprise how nice Wind Waker looked in comparison, I soon forgot about the difference between each game's graphics.
                                      I have to disagree with that. Anyone who's walked into a Big Screen TV store and seen Blu-ray movies on an HD screen raves about it. I went and played a few of my old N64 games, and I could barely stand how crappy the picture was. The gameplay was excellent, but man, it was fugly. The same will happen to Wii games when you get an HDTV. There's no support, so what you'll get is a picture similar to Teri Hatcher... i.e. pretty freakin' ugly in High Def.

To the poster who was complaining about Nintendo reselling the same Gameboy over and over again: you mean like the regular and slim PS2? PlayStation and PSone? PSzero? True, there have been several iterations of the Gameboy over the years, but each one has served to deliver a major improvement over the previous.
                                      Different versions of Playstations come around at the end of the systems life cycle. Not in the middle of it like Nintendo. There were 3 versions of the first gameboy (including the gameboy pocket), anyone who bought a game boy color felt like an idiot when the Advance line came out about a year or so later...

Game Boy Pocket: Less rediculously bulky, better battery life
                                      Gameboy Color: Um, I think this is obvious.
                                      Gamboy Advance: Another obvious one.
                                      Gameboy Advance SP: improved on the horrible GBA screen, and introduced rechargable battery.
                                      Gameboy Micro: Completely pointless outside of Japan. Why would Nintendo release this to America. I'd much prefer Earthbound 2 (Mother 3) instead.
                                      Were those really "major" improvements? Gameboy-Gameboy Color-Gameboy Advance were the big jumps. Everything else in between should have been there originally. And most of those came out within a couple years of one another!

Comment

I have to disagree with that. Anyone who's walked into a Big Screen TV store and seen Blu-ray movies on an HD screen raves about it. I went and played a few of my old N64 games, and I could barely stand how crappy the picture was. The gameplay was excellent, but man, it was fugly. The same will happen to Wii games when you get an HDTV. There's no support, so what you'll get is a picture similar to Teri Hatcher... i.e. pretty freakin' ugly in High Def.
                                        Aaah yes, and everyone who saw a Laserdisc / Betamax thought it looked better too, and we all saw how those things turned out.

Sorry kayoss, but the average consumer is NOT going to see a big difference on a smaller HDTV between blu-ray and DVD. Hell, people didn't see a gigantic difference between VHS and DVD. The thing that sold people on the DVD movies were the features (the special behind the scenes, the skipping/no rewind ability, and the low disc price).

I just don't see people wating to replace their entire DVD collections with Blu-Ray. There would have to be a significant feature jump (and price reduction, and for it to become a computer package standard) for it to catch on with the public. In the meantime, like Laserdisc, I think it will be relegated to the technophiles as a movie format.

I haven't even gotten into the HD-DVD issue

As a game format, yes, it will be nice since of course the disc can hold more information. But it's still too expensive.
                                        I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)
                                        sigpic

Founding Member of the BA!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X