Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are DS games REALLY better than PSP games?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Are DS games REALLY better than PSP games?

Originally posted by MickeyMania View Post
    Let's make a home console comparison with the same two companies:

GameCube gets almost no new games, and most of the games they get come from Nintendo, who is known to deliver high quality at an almost glacial pace. There's very little third party support.

PS2 has new games coming out for it every single week. While there's a few companies who usually release good games (Rockstar, Capcom, sometimes Namco depending on the year), EVERYONE brings out their game on PS2 and that means every crummy movie/anime license game and every poorly thought out piece of shovelware pieced by comittee is released for PS2. Although there's certainly killer apps in the mix, they are outweighed by mountains of okay games and a hill-full of utter turds bringing the average review score down.

So would you pick a Cube over PS2? Because that's what you're comparing here.
    Yes I would. Were talking about the PSP and DS here though.
    The PS2 has enough good games and true it is starting to die but thats because were getting the PS3.
    There are a couple games I wanted to play on GB but decided not to get one even for 40-60 bucks since I don't have a job.
    Nintendo would probably make more if they did have more 3rd party support. The PSP needs a lot of the Playstations killer apps to come on over already or it will be doomed or deemed a failure and if Sony tries another PSP that might fail from low support. Something I really do not want to happen!

Comment

Originally posted by Zorro825 View Post
      The DS has games for all those genres you mentioned. Racing (Mario Kart DS, Need for Speed series), sports (Basically the entire EA sports lineup), hack and slash (What do you classify as hack and slash? ;-) ) shooters (Metroid Prime Hunters) platforms (New Super Mario Bros., Rayman, etc) puzzle (Tetris DS, the Brain age games etc) RPGS (Dragon Quest, Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time, Harvest Moon, etc).
      The games are there.
      How many of those are decently rated? Need for Speed: Most Wanted recieved a 4.0 out of 10. The second title recieved a 7.0. I consider Mario Kart a racing game, a sub-genre. But even if I did consider it to be a racing title, it's the only one of 13 titles to recieve a score higher than a 7.0. Burnout Legends recieved a 3.0! Every sports title from EA gets low marks. Each Madden hovered between the 6.0 - 7.0 range. Metroid Prime were great games, but in 2 years only 6 shooter titles were released. The other 4 recieved low marks. They have a higher ratio of quality games in reference to Platformers, although Rayman got a 6.0. Of 11 platformer games, 4 got an 8.0 or higher. For RPG's, the only two worth mentioning are Mario and Luigi, and Dragon Quest. Other than that, nothing scored above a 6.5.

The games are definitely out there, but are we just going to count everything and not games WORTH playing? There are a lot of crappy PSP titles too, but I don't consider them worth mentioning. When it comes to the multi-platform releases on both the DS and PSP, the PSP almost always outscores the DS version. Usually with 3 marks higher.

I hear what you're saying. I mean I like playing people that are on the same skill evel as I am in games. Especially FPS games and fighting games. But at the same time, I like the fact that I can play against someone that might not play games as much (ie my girlfriend and her friend) and not be bored because the game is so simple.
      I think in the end, Nintendo is going to find a balance. For every "Brain Age" you're going to have a "The Legend of Zelda: The Phantom Hour Glass".
      I hear what you're saying. I hated playing games with girlfriends :lol:. However, Nintendo has been quoted saying that they are going to make the Zelda series more accessible to non-gamers. I.E. easy.

Besides, I can't recall any Zelda game that was "difficult". They just take a while to complete.

And thats the problem they've had since day one. I seriously hope someone got fired for that marketing campaign. Look, I might come off as pro-Nintendo or whatever but honestly I think the PSP is a great handheld and is really being overlooked. If Sony wouldve just had a clear message on what its portable could do, it would be doing a heck of a lot better in sales. I still think Nintendo is going to be on top of the handheld market but Sony can seriously give it a run for its money if it trashes the dustballs and says "This is what happens on the PSP" or something.
      That's the thing, Sony needs to market the system to gamers who don't want to play Nintendo-esque games. There are so many people who don't have an interest in Mario or Pokemon, that could easily be enticed to playing games on the go. They fail miserably at getting the word out. However, they've recently went on record saying that rather than have a PSP price drop this Christmas, they're going to advertise it better and show what a value the system is.

I'm not pro-Sony, or anti-Nintendo/Microsoft, I just hate it when people regurgitate stuff over and over. All I hear from fanboys is how Nintendo is more innovative/makes better games/better quality... when the numbers show something different.

That was my point. Third party developers don't know what they are doing when it comes to the DS. Only recently have we started seeing more and more innovative games from 3rd party developers (Trauma Center, Phoenix Wright).
      In that case, third party developers didn't know what they were doing with the N64 or GC.

I completely disagree. Certain games on the DS have simplistic gameplay. It is a mistake to assume all games on the DS have simplistic gameplay. I dare you to play Trauma Center and tell me that is simplistic. Certain Nintendo 1st party titles (Mario) have always about simple gameplay. Attack Nintendo on this point, not the system.
      I played Trauma Center at E3 last year. It was fun, but it really is a glorified digitial OPERATION board game. It takes a certain amount of skill, but I'd hardly call it difficult. The system and Nintendo are the same. If all that's released is simple games because primarily 1st party titles come out, then what can you say? Of course the system is "capable" of difficult games, but they are sure aren't releasing them...

Also, the genres you listed as being on the PSP already appeal to one specific audience: gamers. Each genre of game has it's fans, but they all fall under the same audience. I also can't think of any genre that does not work as well on the DS as on the PSP. I can only come up with genres that work better on the DS than on the PSP.
      Racing games suck on the DS with the exception of the Mario Kart, Fighting games aren't good, Third person shooters don't usually work well, the DS couldn't take on something like Grand Theft Auto. Sports games are horrible. Just look at the scores for each genre! I agree that there are some genres that work better on the DS than the PSP, but there aren't that many.

Again, Nintendo has never been about difficult gameplay. They have had difficult games, but it has never been their focus.
      Which is why they've held last place postitions in the past 2 console life cycles. Gamers have grown up.

Oddly enough, I've never seen a single PSP in public. I got to a college which is a huge gaming school (WoW, CS, etc.), to whom the PSP is marketed, yet I see over a dozen DSs a day. In fact I had a 4 person chat through pictochat during a lecture, all with people I didn't know.
      Nothing I can say about that. To each his own I guess. I see a few DS's (mainly DS lites) around school, but mostly PSP's.

Originally posted by Magus View Post
      The DS and PSP are two totally different markets.
      Don't you think it's funny that Nintendo fanboys ALWAYS say that when their system of choice is being criticized. As long as they're outselling other consoles, they rub figures in your face, but as soon as something contrary comes up, we hear the "different markets" excuse...

Heard it for the N64, the GC, and I bet we'll hear it for the Wii.

Comment

Let's make a home console comparison with the same two companies:

GameCube gets almost no new games, and most of the games they get come from Nintendo, who is known to deliver high quality at an almost glacial pace. There's very little third party support.

PS2 has new games coming out for it every single week. While there's a few companies who usually release good games (Rockstar, Capcom, sometimes Namco depending on the year), EVERYONE brings out their game on PS2 and that means every crummy movie/anime license game and every poorly thought out piece of shovelware pieced by comittee is released for PS2. Although there's certainly killer apps in the mix, they are outweighed by mountains of okay games and a hill-full of utter turds bringing the average review score down.

So would you pick a Cube over PS2? Because that's what you're comparing here.
        Of course I would! The PS2 has more higher rated games than any other system. It has at least one top rated game in every genre. Some genre's are simply unmatched to this day.

The DS has GRIPS of games, but relatively few top rated titles. Almost none of the titles are third party games. 1st party games take a long time to complete, because Nintendo's first concern is quality. They won't release anything until it's done. That's great, but how long have people been waiting for the next Zelda? The one that got pushed back to the Wii?

And besides, it seems like the majority of people went with the PS2. As of 2003, there were 29.09 million PS2's sold in North America. There were only 7.46 million Gamecubes. Worldwide, there were over 69.46 million PS2's sold, as opposed to 13.94 million Gamecubes.

Comment

Originally posted by Soulquarian View Post
          I played Trauma Center at E3 last year. It was fun, but it really is a glorified digitial OPERATION board game. It takes a certain amount of skill, but I'd hardly call it difficult.
          Totally agree, it's a really fun game, and I finally beat it the other day. However, it's just a classic do X in in Y amount of time puzzle game. The idea and setting is unique, but it's nothing difficult.
          -Monorail Man

Comment

By IGN's ranking system, the PSP has more high rated games period. 38 titles were rated 8.0, and 8 titles were rated 9.0. The total amount of high rated PSP games is 46.

The DS had 33 titles rated 8.0, and 10 titles rated 9.0. The total amount of high rated DS games is 46.

According to Gamerankings.com, The PSP actually had a higher percentage of high rated scores when an average was made of over 20 websites/magazines or more.

psp: 25 titles with an 8.0 or better
            ds: 23 titles with an 8.0 or better

So, officially, the DS does not have more/better games. Of course, your own opinion may vary, and that's okay too.

Comment

By IGN's ranking system, the PSP has more high rated games period. 38 titles were rated 8.0, and 8 titles were rated 9.0. The total amount of high rated PSP games is 46.

The DS had 33 titles rated 8.0, and 10 titles rated 9.0. The total amount of high rated DS games is 46.

According to Gamerankings.com, The PSP actually had a higher percentage of high rated scores when an average was made of over 20 websites/magazines or more.

So, officially, the DS does not have more/better games. Of course, your own opinion may vary, and that's okay too.
              Normally I pay attention to Gamespot and they are pretty accurate but lately they have been behind on reviews since they wait for all games in Multiplatform games to come out first.

Comment

The DS has GRIPS of games, but relatively few top rated titles.
                Few portable games are highly rated in the first place. Second, some of my favorite games get less-than-favorable reviews. I don't see how software reviews make a system. Especially if they all fall into one genre (usually twitch-based action/shooter titles) and you don't like those.

That's great, but how long have people been waiting for the next Zelda? The one that got pushed back to the Wii?
                2.5 years (it was introduced originally at E3 04.) Meanwhile, people will be waiting 3 years between GTA San Andreas (released October 26 2004) and GTA4 (set to release October 16, 2007.)

Quality software takes time. The reason EA pumps a Madden out every single year is because they only have to change rosters and add a feature or two. Also because it's certainly questionable whether EA actually seeks out quality or not (see also: Battlefield series.)

And besides, it seems like the majority of people went with the PS2. As of 2003, there were 29.09 million PS2's sold in North America. There were only 7.46 million Gamecubes. Worldwide, there were over 69.46 million PS2's sold, as opposed to 13.94 million Gamecubes.
                You proved my point, but I guess you didn't realize it.

Comment

Few portable games are highly rated in the first place. Second, some of my favorite games get less-than-favorable reviews. I don't see how software reviews make a system. Especially if they all fall into one genre (usually twitch-based action/shooter titles) and you don't like those.
                  On the contrary, portable games do get highly rated. One thing that the PSP has done is force Nintendo to put out more quality titles than truck loads of generic games with licenses tagged on.

Software reviews are critical to a system's success. Early on, many gamer mags and websites kept reporting that the DS had more and better games than the PSP. As a result, many people still think that, despite never having played a PSP game. Personally, I rarely buy games without checking reviews first. Those reviews are critical in me determining whether a game is a rental or a buy.

Many people go by reviews... otherwise, game companies wouldn't continually send them copies to preview and review...

And besides, we have to have a middle ground to compare consoles. It's stupid for people to say "PSP games suck? And the DS games are better", when those people don't even play PSP games...

2.5 years (it was introduced originally at E3 04.) Meanwhile, people will be waiting 3 years between GTA San Andreas (released October 26 2004) and GTA4 (set to release October 16, 2007.)
                  And Grand Theft Auto title comes out every year or year and a half. I've played through GTA:LCS and I'll be buying GTA: VCS. No doubt, a GTA:SA will come out soon after...

Quality software takes time. The reason EA pumps a Madden out every single year is because they only have to change rosters and add a feature or two. Also because it's certainly questionable whether EA actually seeks out quality or not (see also: Battlefield series.)
                  All the more reason to have more than one developer making your quality games right?

You proved my point, but I guess you didn't realize it.
                  What point? Nintendo has a strong first party lineup that releases a game maybe twice a console's life per franchise. I'm not talking about games starring franchise characters, I'm talking about actual continuations or games in the same vein.

Sony has a strong first party lineup and a strong third party lineup. At any given time, there's a high rated game being released or being made.

Comment

I don't have much to add to this argument besides the fact I have both a PSP and a DS and I barely touch my PSP. I don't know why, but I just do!

Comment

Originally posted by SpookyBear View Post
                      I don't have much to add to this argument besides the fact I have both a PSP and a DS and I barely touch my PSP. I don't know why, but I just do!
                      It happens. I have a GBA SP, and all I bought was Mario Kart. On the flipside, the GBA is one the best selling consoles of all time...

Comment

BTW, Zelda didnt get pushed back to the Wii..its launching for both the GameCube and the Wii.
                        Out of the NIGHT....
                        When the full moon is BRIGHT!!
                        Comes a horseman known as ZORRO!!!
                        ---------------------------------------

Comment

Your my GOD!!! I dare you to try talking some since into the people here though: http://forums.qj.net/

Comment

Software reviews are critical to a system's success. Early on, many gamer mags and websites kept reporting that the DS had more and better games than the PSP. As a result, many people still think that, despite never having played a PSP game. Personally, I rarely buy games without checking reviews first. Those reviews are critical in me determining whether a game is a rental or a buy.
                            So despite being the Sony Apologist of this forum, you won't make purchasing decisions without consulting the game "media" that's telling you that the DS is so much better than PSP?

Something isn't adding up there, but, uh, okay... :blink:

And Grand Theft Auto title comes out every year or year and a half. I've played through GTA:LCS and I'll be buying GTA: VCS. No doubt, a GTA:SA will come out soon after...
                            I'm not talking about those silly portable rehashes where they make a few new character skins and record some voices and license some tracks on an older game with the same city and the same cars and the same weapons. Those don't even register.

All the more reason to have more than one developer making your quality games right?
                            Sure, but what's your point? The portable situation is a polar opposite of the home consoles, Nintendo has all the third party support. Part of the reason for that is that Sony launched the PSP with not only poor marketing, but this weird vision that portable handheld games should be just as fancy and flashy and nearly as pretty as home console games. And to most developers, handheld games are designed intentionally with graphics and gameplay that were common in home consoles ten years ago. Keeps development costs down, you see.

As such, most developers don't follow Sony's line of thinking, because they seem to see think that portable games should have just as high production values (effects, voicework, etc,) and few companies agree because portable games are seen as games made cheap and sold at a fairly tidy profit. Nobody WANTS to make a handheld game that looks like Halo 2.

What point? Nintendo has a strong first party lineup that releases a game maybe twice a console's life per franchise. I'm not talking about games starring franchise characters, I'm talking about actual continuations or games in the same vein.
                            So, isn't that good? Aren't you getting tired of Final Fantasy MCMXVIII and Metal Gear: Snake Through Time? (although to be fair, Square's Enix buyout combined with their foray into MMO gaming has left few traditional Final Fantasy games on the PS2, with more forays into direct sequels, spinoffs, and new directions.)

Comment

BTW, Zelda didnt get pushed back to the Wii..its launching for both the GameCube and the Wii.
                              Touché'!

So despite being the Sony Apologist of this forum, you won't make purchasing decisions without consulting the game "media" that's telling you that the DS is so much better than PSP?

Something isn't adding up there, but, uh, okay... :blink:
                              How am I a Sony apologist? Sony is number one for a reason, they don't need me to "cover" for them.

All over the internet, people are repeating that the DS has better games than the PSP. That was true for a while, but now it's not the case. I'm merely stating that before people jump to conclusions that the PSP is "doomed" and so is Sony, they should like at the real numbers.

I'm not talking about those silly portable rehashes where they make a few new character skins and record some voices and license some tracks on an older game with the same city and the same cars and the same weapons. Those don't even register.
                              Couldn't we say the same for most Nintendo games? The Grand Theft Auto series is a lot deeper than you trying to portray. I could break down any game and make it sound incredibly dull and formulaic like you just did. Mario Kart is essentially unchanged, despite being a favorite of everyone. Kingdom Hearts II was almost exactly the same graphic wise as KH I.

You cannot ignore the production values of the GTA series. There's so much to do and the freedom is unparalleled. Other games try and copy, even the 360's Saint Row rips the series off. The satire is so incredibly insightful too. They comment on everything from the hypocrisy of some religious groups, to the ridiculousness of American stereotypes, to the lack of parental responsibility. There are so many elements to the GTA series. If you're only looking at graphics, well that kind of throws all your arguments about Nintendo out the window...

Sure, but what's your point? The portable situation is a polar opposite of the home consoles, Nintendo has all the third party support. Part of the reason for that is that Sony launched the PSP with not only poor marketing, but this weird vision that portable handheld games should be just as fancy and flashy and nearly as pretty as home console games. And to most developers, handheld games are designed intentionally with graphics and gameplay that were common in home consoles ten years ago. Keeps development costs down, you see.
                              Why should we have to settle for crappy looking games? Why can't I have a gaming experience similar to my console? Who says cheaper is always better?

Sony's finally getting the hang of making great portable games that are more than just clones of their console counterparts. That's evident in the critical success of the new Medal of Honor game.

As such, most developers don't follow Sony's line of thinking, because they seem to see think that portable games should have just as high production values (effects, voicework, etc,) and few companies agree because portable games are seen as games made cheap and sold at a fairly tidy profit. Nobody WANTS to make a handheld game that looks like Halo 2.
                              Obviously you haven't seen GTA:LCS, Ridge Racer, Tekken 5, or SOCOM. Nintendo doesn't want to make those games, but it's obvious that people want them and someone wants to develop them...

So, isn't that good? Aren't you getting tired of Final Fantasy MCMXVIII and Metal Gear: Snake Through Time? (although to be fair, Square's Enix buyout combined with their foray into MMO gaming has left few traditional Final Fantasy games on the PS2, with more forays into direct sequels, spinoffs, and new directions.)
                              As long as the game is good, I could care less if it's a sequel. It's really irrelevant. How many Mario/Zelda/Donkey Kong/Kirby/etc games are there? Why doesn't anyone ever point those out? Because all that matters is gameplay.

I love Metal Gear Solid, and Final Fantasy has an immersion level view games even get close to.

Personally, the reason I buy consoles is to play games. If all I get is one game a year or so, what's the point? That's like buying a car only to go to the end of the driveway and get your mail.

Comment

All in all, if Sony is making great games and it forces Nintendo to devote more to their games, then we all end up winning. Competition is always good and Nintendo has dominated the handheld market for so long that it had become complacent. Dont forget though that Nintendo has stated in the past that the DS is considered its own seprate system, not a successor to the "Game Boy". So who knows what Nintendo is working on next.
                                Out of the NIGHT....

Comment

All in all, if Sony is making great games and it forces Nintendo to devote more to their games, then we all end up winning. Competition is always good and Nintendo has dominated the handheld market for so long that it had become complacent. Dont forget though that Nintendo has stated in the past that the DS is considered its own seprate system, not a successor to the "Game Boy". So who knows what Nintendo is working on next.
                                  The DS micro... coming this Spring :lol:

I agree with you. Competition is fantastic for the consumer.

Comment

The DS micro... coming this Spring :lol:
                                    :lol: HAHA
                                    Oh geez..the Game Boy Micro...That was pretty bad. Its one thing to make your systems sleek and all..but that there comes a point where you go too far.
                                    Out of the NIGHT....

Comment

:lol: HAHA
                                      Oh geez..the Game Boy Micro...That was pretty bad. Its one thing to make your systems sleek and all..but that there comes a point where you go too far.
                                      There was a collective "WTF" from everyone at E3 when they showed it.

It was smaller than my cell phone!

Comment

All over the internet, people are repeating that the DS has better games than the PSP. That was true for a while, but now it's not the case.
                                        It's more like the reverse. PSP was better than DS, because PSP had stuff like Lumines while DS for the first year was a poor mish-mash of ports (Mario64 DS, anyone?) and proof-of-concept games like Feel The Magic that didn't really mean anything. Everyone thought Nintendo had lost their minds. One of the highlights early on was Rayman because it was one of the few games that was GOOD.

PSP has stalled. The best games for the system are definitely for the 16+ crowd. The audience is more interested in running emulators of older systems and watching movies on the thing than playing anything from a UMD.

Meanwhile, Castlevania and Nintendogs signalled what was essentially a DS relaunch. Following that was Advance Wars and Mario Kart and Animal Crossing, and then Tetris. Pokemon is coming. Sure, you're over it, but they can't get enough of it in Japan. And these games have all or more features that their home versions do. Games aren't just some skimmed down version of a much larger home console game, the way the old Game Boy versions of Mario Bros (now with uglier graphics than SMB1) or Mortal Kombat (less than half the fighters of the SNES game) used to be. These games are capable of standing in their own light.

I'm merely stating that before people jump to conclusions that the PSP is "doomed" and so is Sony, they should like at the real numbers.
                                        PSP is not "doomed." It has sold fairly neck and neck with the DS in this territory, which is the one that means the most sales. This is fairly impressive since the Nintendo system has a large pre-pubescant audience that the PSP lacks. However, the PSP's audience are generally technotypes and gadget freaks, and they're not as interested in the PSP software as much as they are a portable SNES/Genesis/N64/PC-FX/media center.

PSP's most looked forward to titles? Ports of PSone games that can be purchased standalone or downloaded to the system through PS3 (but cannot be played on PS3 until some later unknown date assuming that Sony actually lives up to it's promise.)

Couldn't we say the same for most Nintendo games? The Grand Theft Auto series is a lot deeper than you trying to portray.
                                        Sure, the usual installments are. But the GTA ______ Stories spinoffs are built on the same thinking as DCA's ToT. A proven idea recreated at budget-slashed prices for a hungry audience. Wake me up when they make a PSP GTA game that isn't importing 85% of it's resources from a three year old PS2 game.

Why should we have to settle for crappy looking games? Why can't I have a gaming experience similar to my console? Who says cheaper is always better?
                                        Mainly developers, but at the same there's something to be said for old school design. Sprite art is a dying form, which is saddening to those of us who cut our teeth on the Genesis, NES or even older systems. PSP is perfectly capable of creating old-school style games, but all of it's software is striving to be motion-captured 3D special effects hooey that you find on any system.

The result? No PSP title repeatedly sells out as quickly as Phoenix Wright did, which was just simple 2d art portraits matched with lots of Interactive Fiction scrolling text.

As long as the game is good, I could care less if it's a sequel.
                                        Well then, PS2 is really the system for you. Sequelitis has been stagnating the industry. How much does it say when something completely new appears like Katamari and everyone quickly clings to it like a breath of fresh air?

Final Fantasy has an immersion level view games even get close to.
                                        FF has been treading water for about 10 years or so now (Materia? GFs? Sphere Grid? Dress Spheres? All the same thing), although I hear that XII is supposed to be the radical departure it's been wanting for ages.

Comment

It's more like the reverse. PSP was better than DS, because PSP had stuff like Lumines while DS for the first year was a poor mish-mash of ports (Mario64 DS, anyone?) and proof-of-concept games like Feel The Magic that didn't really mean anything. Everyone thought Nintendo had lost their minds. One of the highlights early on was Rayman because it was one of the few games that was GOOD.
                                          When both the PSP and DS were out, criticism of the PSP's lineup of ports were there. Soon after, everyone decided the DS was better.

PSP has stalled. The best games for the system are definitely for the 16+ crowd. The audience is more interested in running emulators of older systems and watching movies on the thing than playing anything from a UMD.
                                          PSP sales are up, and so are game sales. While the Homebrew scene is very active, it just goes to show you how much variety the PSP is capable. Also, your average person knows nothing about Homebrew. Homebrew enthusiats make up a very small percentage of PSP users.

Meanwhile, Castlevania and Nintendogs signalled what was essentially a DS relaunch. Following that was Advance Wars and Mario Kart and Animal Crossing, and then Tetris. Pokemon is coming. Sure, you're over it, but they can't get enough of it in Japan. And these games have all or more features that their home versions do. Games aren't just some skimmed down version of a much larger home console game, the way the old Game Boy versions of Mario Bros (now with uglier graphics than SMB1) or Mortal Kombat (less than half the fighters of the SNES game) used to be. These games are capable of standing in their own light.
                                          Most awaited PSP titles for 2006:

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories
                                          SOCOM U.S. Navy Seals: Fireteam Bravo II
                                          Lumines II
                                          Ratchet & Clank
                                          Killzone Liberation
                                          Thrillville
                                          Tony Hawk Project 8

Nearly each one is a standalone game.

PSP is not "doomed." It has sold fairly neck and neck with the DS in this territory, which is the one that means the most sales. This is fairly impressive since the Nintendo system has a large pre-pubescant audience that the PSP lacks. However, the PSP's audience are generally technotypes and gadget freaks, and they're not as interested in the PSP software as much as they are a portable SNES/Genesis/N64/PC-FX/media center.
                                          I believe this is a result of bad avertising. Personally, I like playing N64 on the go.

PSP's most looked forward to titles? Ports of PSone games that can be purchased standalone or downloaded to the system through PS3 (but cannot be played on PS3 until some later unknown date assuming that Sony actually lives up to it's promise.)
                                          Most awaited PSP titles for 2006:

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories
                                          SOCOM U.S. Navy Seals: Fireteam Bravo II
                                          Lumines II
                                          Ratchet & Clank
                                          Killzone Liberation
                                          Thrillville
                                          Tony Hawk Project 8

Nearly each one is a standalone game.

Sure, the usual installments are. But the GTA ______ Stories spinoffs are built on the same thinking as DCA's ToT. A proven idea recreated at budget-slashed prices for a hungry audience. Wake me up when they make a PSP GTA game that isn't importing 85% of it's resources from a three year old PS2 game.
                                          The GTA stories line has more features than its console counterparts! They are the first to have real Multi-player, as well as having their own seperate story lines. How you can say Pokemon, Animal Crossing, and Tetris can be games in their own right, and GTA stories games can't is a mystery. These aren't ports. They're just shortened GTA games. That's why they get released for home consoles later on.

Mainly developers, but at the same there's something to be said for old school design. Sprite art is a dying form, which is saddening to those of us who cut our teeth on the Genesis, NES or even older systems. PSP is perfectly capable of creating old-school style games, but all of it's software is striving to be motion-captured 3D special effects hooey that you find on any system.
                                          Personally, I like progress. It seems like your beef is with developers, and not with the PSP on this issue.

Well then, PS2 is really the system for you. Sequelitis has been stagnating the industry. How much does it say when something completely new appears like Katamari and everyone quickly clings to it like a breath of fresh air?
                                          How a sequel stagnates the industry, I don't know. Fun games are fun games, regardless of whether or not it has Roman numerals next to the title. And no one's worse than Nintendo at sequelitis...

FF has been treading water for about 10 years or so now (Materia? GFs? Sphere Grid? Dress Spheres? All the same thing), although I hear that XII is supposed to be the radical departure it's been wanting for ages.
                                          There are enough different RPG's out there for everyone's taste. I like the FF series, but there are plenty more options if that gets old.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X