This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Sony dropping the ball?

First and foremost, I've been a huge fan of the Playstation brand for many years. I believe that in the last two iterations of their hardware they did everything just about right. Great games. Great Graphics. Great Brand Recognition. The Playstation and the PS2 have been home to many great games -- back when titles were completely exclusive to certain hardware.

With the impending Playstation 3 launch drawing closer and closer I've begun to wonder just what is Sony thinking? First off the price. I do understand that this has probably been discussed over and over, but $599.99 for a media machine just sounds outrageous. Second, do you really think that Blu-ray is going to take off like Sony is wanting it to?

When it comes to Blu-ray I think the mainstream audience still doesn't know what it is. Sure there are technophiles that understand resolution difference and capacity issues, but when a mass consumer is faced with the choice of buying a Blu-ray movie or an HD-DVD movie what do you think they will go with? I firmly believe that a movie user would buy the HD-DVD copy of the film simply because DVD is in the name. It's a name they recognize and one they trust. Unless Sony starts educating the public about Blu-ray (Big posters in Wal-Mart's across the country would be a good start) I don't think they will buy into it.

Third comes the launch of the actual system. Historically video game consoles have never met the huge demand straight out of the gate. But think about all the folks who have been waiting for a Playstation 3. All these people with $600 in their pockets and nothing to buy because of shortages. But hey, there this new Nintendo Wii, and of course the 360. If Nintendo and Microsoft were smart they'd pump up the marketing big time and push their systems out in places where people will be disappointed because of Sony's shortages.

To summarize I'd say Sony is making several huge mistakes -- getting too ambitious in future technology and out pricing the market are just a couple. Also Sony can't rely on exclusive games anymore, I believe those days are merely a mirage of the past. Sure they have Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid, and Gran Turismo to name a few. But how long will that last? As I mentioned at the beginning I've been a fan of Sony's little Playstation's for quite sometime. I just think I'm on the fence and would like anothers opinion on the matter to see if I'm thinking in line with most people or just radically.

As much as I would like to see Sony win three generations in a row I just don't think it will happen this time around. I believe Sony has gotten way in over it's head and I think Microsoft may take it and run. If anything the competition between the two giants will be something that will be talked about for quite awhile and could possibly rival that of the Genesis and SNES era.

Respond with any thoughts you have about the issue?

[Note: This post was written with the regard that I don't have anybody to talk to about video games anymore and I wanted to get other people's opinion on the matter. FANBOYS, please don't turn this into a huge argument over which console is WAY better than the other. If I wanted to join that type of message board I would go an post over at Gamespot.com]
    Class of 2005...

Re: Is Sony dropping the ball?

I have seen so many posts like this. The intresting thing is most of the people that say SCREW SONY DOWN WITH THEM. Are still getting one for their favorite games I find it sad but let them talk freedom of speech on the internet.
    Out of the 3 consoles the PS3 is the most with intrest and it has the most exclusives and finnaly the cost is not that different especially for free online!
    Edit: As for your canot rely on exclusives thing anymore. Well you must be CRAZY! Off course they can all 3 systems do dude other wise everyone would just use PCs. PS3 has plenty of exclusives and that in the end is what defines a console not what goes inside it or the Wii would be finished right now lol.

Comment

Ha ha Sony's a bunch of idiots for having the least amount of systems being released plus most of there good games are coming to a end like MGS. Plus GTA will be on both the 360 and PS3 so there's another loss.
      The WII is cheap with free internet browsing until June and free online Play.
      Next Blue Ray sucks
      1) The qualitly is not as good as HD
      2) Blue Ray disks cost more
      3) Less Movie section and no Seasons of any shows on it

The only plus for the Blue ray is how much Data can be on the disk but I say why not just have 2 HD disks for 10 bucks less???
      Plus Kindom Hearts 2 may be on the 360 or WII now so if they lose that game its over for them.
      Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

Honestly...I think the Playstation 3 is not going to be as big as the Playstation brand has been in the past. I think the system will be great, but as far as being the top Dog, I think Nintendo will retake control. Nintendo has a great product with a great price and people want something new!
        In all honesty, the big (missing) factor is a new contender this year. So with no new companys entering the game market such as there always been in past generations, the lines are set in the ground and people will take their sides. Its all going to come down to the game manufacters and what they produce for the systems.

As far as Sonys pricing and marketing go. I think they know exactly what they are doing. If we look at history, we remember that the #1 reason the PS2 sold so big in Japan/USA was because at the time DVD players were new and expensive. And when you can grab a 2 for 1 deal such as a DVD/Game or upcoming BlueRay/Game machiene, how can you not pass up the price. Catch my drift?
        Beautify Yourself

Comment

Originally posted by ssmccullough View Post
          With the impending Playstation 3 launch drawing closer and closer I've begun to wonder just what is Sony thinking? First off the price. I do understand that this has probably been discussed over and over, but $599.99 for a media machine just sounds outrageous. Second, do you really think that Blu-ray is going to take off like Sony is wanting it to?
          What many people fail to understand is that the HD market is exploding. Recent studies have shown that in the next 5 years, 60% of tvs will be HDTV's in American Households. With all those HDTV's, people are going to want High Def media. Blu-Ray has an installed user base by being included with the PS3. That gives it a significant advantage over HD-DVD. I really don't see why Blu-Ray won't take off.

When it comes to Blu-ray I think the mainstream audience still doesn't know what it is. Sure there are technophiles that understand resolution difference and capacity issues, but when a mass consumer is faced with the choice of buying a Blu-ray movie or an HD-DVD movie what do you think they will go with? I firmly believe that a movie user would buy the HD-DVD copy of the film simply because DVD is in the name. It's a name they recognize and one they trust. Unless Sony starts educating the public about Blu-ray (Big posters in Wal-Mart's across the country would be a good start) I don't think they will buy into it.
          The mainstream audience is always going to be behind. When DVD's came out, no one really got into them until the PS2 was released. Since millions of PS2's were in people's homes, they naturally bought DVD's to watch. For many people (myself included), the PS2 was their first DVD player.

I do agree that the HD-DVD name is an advantage, but long before the mainstream public becomes aware of the HD-DVD brand, millions of PS3 owners will have been buying Blu-Ray movies. Studios are going to support whichever format makes the most sales...

Third comes the launch of the actual system. Historically video game consoles have never met the huge demand straight out of the gate. But think about all the folks who have been waiting for a Playstation 3. All these people with $600 in their pockets and nothing to buy because of shortages. But hey, there this new Nintendo Wii, and of course the 360. If Nintendo and Microsoft were smart they'd pump up the marketing big time and push their systems out in places where people will be disappointed because of Sony's shortages.
          By now we can see that the X360 is really not a concern for Sony, or Nintendo for that matter. As of May, only 3.3 Million 360's were sold. The PS2 trumped that. The Japanese have little to no interest in the 360, and as a result, the 360 has very few exclusives from Japanese developers. The Wii is so cheap that most gamers will very likely buy two consoles this generation. The average gamer is 5 years older this console generation, and most of us have (better) jobs now! We may see a 360 spike during the Christmas rush, and I'm sure the Wii sales will be great, but I don't anticipate the 360 being a threat once the PS3 is out and about.

To summarize I'd say Sony is making several huge mistakes -- getting too ambitious in future technology and out pricing the market are just a couple. Also Sony can't rely on exclusive games anymore, I believe those days are merely a mirage of the past. Sure they have Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid, and Gran Turismo to name a few. But how long will that last? As I mentioned at the beginning I've been a fan of Sony's little Playstation's for quite sometime. I just think I'm on the fence and would like anothers opinion on the matter to see if I'm thinking in line with most people or just radically.
          Sony can't rely on exclusive titles? Sony's 1st Party lineup is doing very well. Not as good or consistant as Nintendo, but leaps better than Microsoft. The Ratchet and Clank/Jak and Daxter series are always highly rated so is SOCOM. God of War set the standard on what Action/Adventure games should be...

To say that they're losing steam game wise is ridiculous. They have more developers pocketed than any other console, and it shows (22 titles will be available by launch). The price is a bargain. HD-DVD players and Blku-Ray players are in the $1000 price point! You get a PS3/Blu-Ray player/Location Free player for only $600! And worse case scenario, you have an upgraded DVD player since the PS3 sharpens DVD images.

As much as I would like to see Sony win three generations in a row I just don't think it will happen this time around. I believe Sony has gotten way in over it's head and I think Microsoft may take it and run. If anything the competition between the two giants will be something that will be talked about for quite awhile and could possibly rival that of the Genesis and SNES era.
          Microsoft just doesn't have anything but Xbox Live and :yawn: Halo. Halo is a great game, fantastic, but it's really the ONLY reason most people still have an interest in Microsoft's console. Every other console will have an online interface, and the PS3 has a harddrive and better graphics, not to mention an incredibly wider selection of titles and developers.

If it basically boils down to price, than go with the Wii. If you want to get the most bang for your buck, get a PS3. If you want something PS3-sih with less features and less games for less money, go with the 360. Personally, the ability to use my PS3 as a tivo, send my recorded shows to my PSP via wifi so that I can watch them anywhere in the world is incredible...

Originally posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
          Ha ha Sony's a bunch of idiots for having the least amount of systems being released plus most of there good games are coming to a end like MGS. Plus GTA will be on both the 360 and PS3 so there's another loss.
          Like I said before, Playstation usually has at least one outstanding game per genre. GTA is no longer an exclusive, but how many exclusives does Sony have? Gobs of them. Very smart on Microsoft's part for getting GTA and exclusive downloadable content a la Xbox Live.

The WII is cheap with free internet browsing until June and free online Play.
          If you're only concern is price then hey do your thing. I like to loo at the bigger picture and see what I'm getting. The Wii will have free internet browsing until June, while the PS3 has free internet browsing and online play always. They have two online strategies. Free and a monthly fee similar to Xbox Live.

Next Blue Ray sucks
          1) The qualitly is not as good as HD
          2) Blue Ray disks cost more
          3) Less Movie section and no Seasons of any shows on it
          Where did you hear that? The quality is better than HD-DVD, as well as holds almost twice as much information as HD-DVD.

Blu-Ray discs will cost about the same as HD-DVD with one significant advantage... They don't scratch. Reviewers have attacked Blu-ray discs with steel wool, and they still played fine.

I really don't know what you're talking about in reference to less movie selection and no tv shows. There are more studios signed up for Blu-Ray than HD-DVD, as well as SONY OWNING IT'S OWN STUDIO. Sony also produces televsion shows, so why would they not put those on Blu-ray?

I think your information is a little skewed.

The only plus for the Blue ray is how much Data can be on the disk but I say why not just have 2 HD disks for 10 bucks less???
          Plus Kindom Hearts 2 may be on the 360 or WII now so if they lose that game its over for them.
          And where did you hear that Kingdom Hearts was going to be on the Wii or 360?
          Last edited by Soulquarian; 10-22-2006, 02:33 PM.

Comment

:argue::judge: Here we go again!

Comment

Originally posted by pizzamousechips View Post
              :argue::judge: Here we go again!
              Yes, discussion is bad. Don't ever do it!

Comment

While I think Soulquarian brings up some excellent counter arguement points I still think Sony has gotten in way over there heads. When it comes right down to it, what sells systems is GAMES not movies. Sure both companies are working towards completely integrating multimedia with there respective machines but what really sells are games. And yes Sony does have some exclusive content at launch, but many launch games will also appear on the X360 this fall as well.

Games are what move systems off store shelves. When the PS2 came out there wasn't a true killer app. But there was a back catalog of PSOne games and the fact it played DVD's was a bonus. While some would argue that the PS2 made the DVD popular, in fact it didn't. Decreasing manufacturing costs made the DVD medium what it is today.

To explain why Sony Online will be free: It's simply because Live has done so well and Sony needs to push that thing like no other. Plus Sony has already said publishers will be able to charge for game content or mulitplayer online if they wish. What could that mean for us the gamers. $9.99 a month for game A, $9.99 a month for game B and so on. Xbox Live works because its a flat rate...for as many games that are accesible...period.

I think Microsoft is a very formidable opponent for Sony. The 360 has a year's head start on the competition (much like Sony did in 2000). That coupled with Sony's inability to launch the amount of systems they promised and the extreme price I think this is Sony's battle to lose. Maybe I'm just out of the loop, but I think many would feel much more comfortable with the purchase of a $400 machine with a proven online track record and just as many types of games as the PS3. IMO Gears of War and Resistance: Fall of Man look strikingly familiar, but maybe thats just me.
                Class of 2005...

Comment

Originally posted by ssmccullough View Post
                  While I think Soulquarian brings up some excellent counter arguement points I still think Sony has gotten in way over there heads. When it comes right down to it, what sells systems is GAMES not movies. Sure both companies are working towards completely integrating multimedia with there respective machines but what really sells are games. And yes Sony does have some exclusive content at launch, but many launch games will also appear on the X360 this fall as well.
                  I don't think Sony is relying on Blu-ray to move units. Instead they're relying on PS3 units to move Blu-Ray, if that makes sense.

Sony knows they have a track record and loyalty. They know that they're providing the best bang for the consumer's buck. There are people who are going to get a PS3 regardless of whether it plays Blu-Ray or not. Sony will use the PS3 as a vehicle to get a (significant) leg up on HD-DVD. I don't think they're depending on Blu-Ray to make the PS3 a success when Blu-Ray stand alone players will be available after launch.

Games are what move systems off store shelves. When the PS2 came out there wasn't a true killer app. But there was a back catalog of PSOne games and the fact it played DVD's was a bonus. While some would argue that the PS2 made the DVD popular, in fact it didn't. Decreasing manufacturing costs made the DVD medium what it is today.
                  DVD's cost roughly the same as they did back when the PS2 was first released. The only difference is that now we have better special features. I'm sure the DVD format would have eventually caught on, but there's no doubt that the PS2 was integral for having it replace VHS in such a relatively short time. I know personally, I never bought a VHS after I got a PS2...

To explain why Sony Online will be free: It's simply because Live has done so well and Sony needs to push that thing like no other. Plus Sony has already said publishers will be able to charge for game content or mulitplayer online if they wish. What could that mean for us the gamers. $9.99 a month for game A, $9.99 a month for game B and so on. Xbox Live works because its a flat rate...for as many games that are accesible...period.
                  The only companies that would charge a monthly fee would be MMO type games.

I think Microsoft is a very formidable opponent for Sony. The 360 has a year's head start on the competition (much like Sony did in 2000). That coupled with Sony's inability to launch the amount of systems they promised and the extreme price I think this is Sony's battle to lose. Maybe I'm just out of the loop, but I think many would feel much more comfortable with the purchase of a $400 machine with a proven online track record and just as many types of games as the PS3. IMO Gears of War and Resistance: Fall of Man look strikingly familiar, but maybe thats just me.
                  The only real bonus is price for the 360. Online is a great thing, but it comes down to the amount of great games and developers. Who cares about Xbox Live if there aren't any fun games to use?

A huge chunk of the 360's highest rated games are multi-platform titles. Obviously, if it's multiplatform, the 360 is going to be left in the dust. The Wii will have drastically different and interesting gameplay, and the PS3 will offer PSP-PS3 connectivity as well as better graphics.

The 360 is just a cheap imitation IMO. Especially without a great exclusive title. Even critics say that the 360 has failed to deliver HD gaming...

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X