Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PS3 - Price cut already???

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • PS3 - Price cut already???

    I just received an email from Toys R' Us announcing that the PS3 was having a $100 price cut for the 60GB console. Originally $599, now $499. Anyone else hear this?

    http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=2549778

    I see Best Buy is showing this price drop as well on their website but not Target.

    http://www.bestbuy.com/site//olspage...&type=category

    http://www.target.com/gp/browse.html...node=242445011

    Strange...
    http://twitter.com/DisneyBrat
    www.foursquare.com/user/disneybrat
    http://www.facebook.com/Melissa.M.Solorzano

  • #2
    Re: PS3 - Price cut already???

    EB and Gamestop sent me an email this afternoon with the same price, and the 5 free Blu-Ray discs offer too. I'm still gonna get an Xbox 360, just playing the waiting game for either a decent price drop on the current models which is rumored to answer Sony's drop, or I'll wait even a little bit longer than that for the newer chipped version of the 360 as long as they don't raise the prices.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: PS3 - Price cut already???

      It's still over priced!
      Plague Of Vampires | A Novel by Eric and Elizabeth Gerds:

      Buy Now at Amazon

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: PS3 - Price cut already???

        Originally posted by Experiment626 View Post
        I just received an email from Toys R' Us announcing that the PS3 was having a $100 price cut for the 60GB console. Originally $599, now $499. Anyone else hear this?

        http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=2549778

        I see Best Buy is showing this price drop as well on their website but not Target.

        http://www.bestbuy.com/site//olspage...&type=category

        http://www.target.com/gp/browse.html...node=242445011

        Strange...

        There is a new 80gb version due out next month that will take over the $599 price. If anybody got the PS3 from Best Buy AND got the 2 year replacment plan they can take in the 60gb version and upgrade to the 80 GB *with no added cost*. This is true because despite the $100 lower price tag you still get the credit for the amount you paid. Or if you need $100 bucks return the one you got with the replacment plan and get a new 60gb and they will give you $100. The replacment plan covers price drops and fun stuff like that. Also, if you got your 60gb within the last 30 days at Best Buy take your recipt in and they will price match the lower price.

        I have NO idea if other stores will do this - but Best Buy will. If the store you got i from does not take care of you like this you may want to re-think your future shopping habbits.

        Originally posted by ni_teach
        It's still over priced!
        For only $20 more than the top-of-the-line 360 I would MUCH rather go with the PS3 with the built in HD player and built in wi-fi adapter. Game selection is pretty much the same on both systems and I could not care less about Halo. Plus the 5 free Blu-Ray movies with the mail in rebate... seems like a win-win to me.

        Note there seems to be issues with backwards compability with the 80gb version, if that is important to you. I have not confirmed the details here and I am still looking into this.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: PS3 - Price cut already???

          Nothing strange about it. Sony announced a long time ago that as soon as they could manufacture the PS3 at a lower price they would.

          This has more to do with the release of the new 80gb PS3 than anything else though. Microsoft is also doing a price drop according to engadget.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: PS3 - Price cut already???

            Originally posted by Soulquarian View Post
            Nothing strange about it. Sony announced a long time ago that as soon as they could manufacture the PS3 at a lower price they would.

            This has more to do with the release of the new 80gb PS3 than anything else though. Microsoft is also doing a price drop according to engadget.
            Well I guess that's understandable. I had no clue they were adding another PS3 with more gb. But it's also more understandable for the 360 to have a price drop. That's been out for almost 2 years now.
            http://twitter.com/DisneyBrat
            www.foursquare.com/user/disneybrat
            http://www.facebook.com/Melissa.M.Solorzano

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: PS3 - Price cut already???

              Originally posted by SoCalDude View Post
              There is a new 80gb version due out next month that will take over the $599 price. If anybody got the PS3 from Best Buy AND got the 2 year replacment plan they can take in the 60gb version and upgrade to the 80 GB *with no added cost*. This is true because despite the $100 lower price tag you still get the credit for the amount you paid. Or if you need $100 bucks return the one you got with the replacment plan and get a new 60gb and they will give you $100. The replacment plan covers price drops and fun stuff like that. Also, if you got your 60gb within the last 30 days at Best Buy take your recipt in and they will price match the lower price.

              I have NO idea if other stores will do this - but Best Buy will. If the store you got i from does not take care of you like this you may want to re-think your future shopping habbits.



              For only $20 more than the top-of-the-line 360 I would MUCH rather go with the PS3 with the built in HD player and built in wi-fi adapter. Game selection is pretty much the same on both systems and I could not care less about Halo. Plus the 5 free Blu-Ray movies with the mail in rebate... seems like a win-win to me.

              Note there seems to be issues with backwards compability with the 80gb version, if that is important to you. I have not confirmed the details here and I am still looking into this.
              I would be interested in your source for the Best Buy thing. I hope an employee did not tell you this, because the Best Buy replacement plan does NOT cover price drops. The only way you could get all your money back is if you bought the product within the last 30 days, and if memory serves, the amount a PS3 and replacement plan costs would have them mailing you a check if you paid with cash.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: PS3 - Price cut already???

                the news stated the price drop was due to them not selling well.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: PS3 - Price cut already???

                  Originally posted by PinBrian View Post
                  I would be interested in your source for the Best Buy thing. I hope an employee did not tell you this, because the Best Buy replacement plan does NOT cover price drops. The only way you could get all your money back is if you bought the product within the last 30 days, and if memory serves, the amount a PS3 and replacement plan costs would have them mailing you a check if you paid with cash.
                  That confuses me too. I was a cashier at a Best Buy for a few years and I don't remember telling customers that line about bringing in a perfectly good product to exchange it for another model. Then again, only the PS2, Xbox, and GameCube were out back then. If something happened to the product you bought the Replacement Plan with, and it's covered in the Plan, you call an 1-800 # and you get a voucher for the price of the product you bought and you would have to send in your merchandise to them. If the item broke down before the manufacturer's warranty ended, you go through them, and if it was before the 30 day exchange/return deadline, you would take the item back to your local Best Buy.
                  Last I know, the Replacement Plan covered manufacturer defects, dust, power surges, normal wear & tear, and possibly humidity.
                  If you bought your PS3 within the 30 day time frame and it's price is lowered, you can get the price match. I just did that for a digitcal camera I bought a little over a month ago. The ad two weeks ago showed a $20 price drop so I got the $20 added back to my card. When I bought a PS2 in 2002, it was a week before the first price drop. I went back when the price went down and got everything I purchased price matched. The console, the controllers, the memory cards...
                  http://twitter.com/DisneyBrat
                  www.foursquare.com/user/disneybrat
                  http://www.facebook.com/Melissa.M.Solorzano

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: PS3 - Price cut already???

                    Originally posted by SoCalDude View Post

                    For only $20 more than the top-of-the-line 360 I would MUCH rather go with the PS3 with the built in HD player and built in wi-fi adapter. Game selection is pretty much the same on both systems and I could not care less about Halo. Plus the 5 free Blu-Ray movies with the mail in rebate... seems like a win-win to me.

                    Note there seems to be issues with backwards compability with the 80gb version, if that is important to you. I have not confirmed the details here and I am still looking into this.
                    If you don't own a HD TV set what is the point of having a Blu-Ray? When I look at game systems I look to play games on them.

                    Let's face facts, There are only a few games of any quality for the system. I know someone is going to post "but wait.... there are good games coming". Well, I don't want a door stop while I wait around. It might be worth the money in 6 months, but until then for the moment it's over priced. (STILL).
                    Plague Of Vampires | A Novel by Eric and Elizabeth Gerds:

                    Buy Now at Amazon

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: PS3 - Price cut already???

                      Everyone was expecting the price drop at E3.. and of course it happened.

                      Of course Sony was adamant, they were NOT dropping the price (even up to the day before the announcement).

                      They are doing it because of the struggling sales.. and they know it. This division is hurting the overall Sony profitability targets.

                      As for those thinking about it.. there is a CC deal out there now with a free controller, the 5 movies, and the console for $500.

                      http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?t=555242

                      .. and for the comment about 'upgrading' with replacement plans.. good luck fighting those battles. The plan administrators aren't stupid, and they are making it harder and harder to do those things. Plus, since the store is totally out of the loop now, its even harder to do those things. You do most all through telephone now with mail exchanges rather then just walking into the store like you used to a long time ago.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: PS3 - Price cut already???

                        Originally posted by PinBrian View Post
                        I would be interested in your source for the Best Buy thing. I hope an employee did not tell you this, because the Best Buy replacement plan does NOT cover price drops. The only way you could get all your money back is if you bought the product within the last 30 days, and if memory serves, the amount a PS3 and replacement plan costs would have them mailing you a check if you paid with cash.
                        If you have the 2 year replacment plan and the price of that unit goes down and you bring it in to use your replacment plan you get FULL CREDIT for what you paid. So using this as an example... you got a PS3 4 months ago with the PRP, your PS3 "goes out" and you take it back to the Best Buy to get a new one using the PRP. They will give you a new PS3 60GB and give you the difference in the price. SInce it is only $100 if you paid cash they will give you cash, if you paid with a card they put it back on your card. They only mail you a check if the amount is over $250 and cash. The same goes for the price drop of the PSP and the 360 if it happens. Yes, you will lose your saved game data on the system that you are turning in. AND as I said, if you want to ge tthe 80gb version that is the same price as the 60gb WAS then you can do that for no extra cost becasue as I said above - you get credit for the amount you paid, not the current price of the item.

                        You can not just walk in waiving your recipt demanding your $100 back for the PS3 you got 4 months ago, you MUST use your PRP.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: PS3 - Price cut already???

                          Originally posted by SoCalDude View Post
                          If you have the 2 year replacment plan and the price of that unit goes down and you bring it in to use your replacment plan you get FULL CREDIT for what you paid. So using this as an example... you got a PS3 4 months ago with the PRP, your PS3 "goes out" and you take it back to the Best Buy to get a new one using the PRP. They will give you a new PS3 60GB and give you the difference in the price. SInce it is only $100 if you paid cash they will give you cash, if you paid with a card they put it back on your card. They only mail you a check if the amount is over $250 and cash. The same goes for the price drop of the PSP and the 360 if it happens. Yes, you will lose your saved game data on the system that you are turning in. AND as I said, if you want to ge tthe 80gb version that is the same price as the 60gb WAS then you can do that for no extra cost becasue as I said above - you get credit for the amount you paid, not the current price of the item.

                          You can not just walk in waiving your recipt demanding your $100 back for the PS3 you got 4 months ago, you MUST use your PRP.
                          "Goes out" ... Customer Service should be checking all merchandise that customers want to return if it works or not. Just because it's a price change difference, you can't return a perfectly good product with your Replacement Plan and get your money back for the item. Whichever Best Buy you're doing this at, they're not following their SOP. The whole reason a Replacement Plan exists is because you are returning product that no longer works, not because the price went down.
                          http://twitter.com/DisneyBrat
                          www.foursquare.com/user/disneybrat
                          http://www.facebook.com/Melissa.M.Solorzano

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: PS3 - Price cut already???

                            Still too expensive, and if the current ones arent selling, what makes them think a more expensive version will sell?
                            There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
                            -Dr. Strange

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: PS3 - Price cut already???

                              Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
                              As for those thinking about it.. there is a CC deal out there now with a free controller, the 5 movies, and the console for $500.
                              That 5 free Blu-Ray deal is good despite where you buy the system. Ya, places like CC and TRU are making it look like *thier special deal* but it is not. Go on the net, print out the form and mail it in and you are good to go, it does not matter the store you got it from - only the DATE matters for the deal.

                              And places like Best Buy will match the free controller as long as you print up the offer or bring in the ad.

                              Originally posted by Wren
                              Still too expensive, and if the current ones arent selling, what makes them think a more expensive version will sell?
                              huh? What more expensive version? There is no more expensive version. The new 80gb will be the same price as the 60gb was.

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X