This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad October box office blamed on Halo 3

Really? It couldn't have had to do with the crappy movies that are out this month and the way the theaters are too expensive to go to anymore?

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/show_...wstop;title;12

Bad box office sales blamed on Halo 3 It's been the worst October for North American movie ticket sales in years, and industry executives are pointing the finger at Master Chief.
    Total cinema ticket sales in North America for the weekend of October 5 were a relatively meager $80 million--the worst results for an October weekend since 1999, reports Advertising Age.
    Industry executives are wagging the finger at blockbuster game Halo 3, which was released in the US on September 26, made $170 million in its first day on sale, and at the last count, had made its creators Bungie and Microsoft more than $300 million.
    But Bungie's gain is apparently the movie theatres' loss. Mike Hickey, an analyst at Janco Partners, commented, "The audience on this game is the 18-to-34 demographic, similar to what you'd see in cinemas. This could last for several weeks."
    The Advertising Age article continues to warn that another box office drought may be ahead, as the release of Rockstar Games' Grand Theft Auto IV looms in the distance--current ETA the first quarter of 2008.
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

Re: Bad October box office blamed on Halo 3

Well that's dumb lol. I go to the movies religiously every week, but nothing's been worth seeing lately.

Comment

Lately the only way I'm going to see movies is by picking up those free pre-screening passes they give out. There hasn't been much out there worth looking at, and frankly half the time I have to choose which movie sucks the least.

Comment

if theaters upgraded themselves with some compelling new technology that I couldn't just own at homes I'd probably be more inclined to go more often

as it stands if I'm going to go to a theater it's probably for a darned good movie and it'll be with a group

as things are right now well not to many good movies out that I'm aware of and nobody I know seems interested either

for some reason the money I spend on games and the money I spend on movies never seem to cross budgets unless it's for a DVD or something I guess

I've really felt this whole box office vs Halo3 stuff is just ridiculous given the game costs more then a movie so of course it can get more money for less copies sold and this analysis feels like they aren't even considering how much of a crossover there is for people who are interested in Halo vs people who are interested in what is mostly a pretty mediocre line of films right now (lets not forget Resident Evil is not crossover since it insults gamers more then appeals to them)
        "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

Comment

Wow, its not because movies cost about $40 for a couple.
          Out of the NIGHT....
          When the full moon is BRIGHT!!
          Comes a horseman known as ZORRO!!!
          ---------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Jspider View Post
            if theaters upgraded themselves with some compelling new technology that I couldn't just own at homes I'd probably be more inclined to go more often
            AMEN! I totally agree theaters need to upgrade to big time! Most new theater's are built totally digital but there are MANY that still run outdated equipment. If they were nicer I would go more too!!!!
            Class of 2005...

Comment

It also doesn't help that it's just cheaper to wait for the movie to come out on DVD.

Comment

http://files.redvsblue.com/web/image...1018RT0184.jpg

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                Working...
                X