This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PS3 isn't getting any love in Japan

Only a single game in the top 30 and it's at 21...

http://kotaku.com/gaming/simple-2000...art-314814.php

The Japanese Software Chart

Seaman! Buckets and buckets of Seaman! That's what Japanese gamers gobbled up this week, as Sega's sequel to the Dreamcast test of patience from Vivarium for the PlayStation 2 topped the Japanese sales charts. The voice activated, missing link-raising sim just barely beat out Nintendo's newest non-game for the Nintendo DS, DS Bungaku Zenshuu, a collection of Japanese literature readable on the dual screen sensation.
    The only other exciting sales news was the debut of Beautiful Katamari for the Xbox 360 cracking the top ten and Lair for the PlayStation 3 hanging tough in the top 30. Also, I'm sure many of you were curious about the placement of DS Nishimura Kyotaro Suspense Shin Tantei Series: Kyoto Atami Zekkai no Kotou - Satsui no Wana
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

Re: PS3 isn't getting any love in Japan

I'm just curious what was edited out of "19. Ta****en: Ta****e 10 ni Suru Monogatari (DS)"??

Also the 360 also has a single game in the top 30, so not sure why the ps3 is being singled out....
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)
    sigpic

Founding Member of the BA!

Comment

probably because japan is supposed to be the stronghold for sony
      Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
      Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Originally posted by sleepyjeff
      Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Comment

Neither is XBOX 360.... The reason PS3 is not getting any love is because of its price. The reason 360 isn't getting any love in Japan is because the system is a honkin' American platform with no games truly aimed for a Japaneses audience. It's all about the Wii right now.

Comment

Originally posted by k_peek_2000 View Post
          Neither is XBOX 360.... The reason PS3 is not getting any love is because of its price. The reason 360 isn't getting any love in Japan is because the system is a honkin' American platform with no games truly aimed for a Japaneses audience. It's all about the Wii right now.
          Right, but as Flynnibus said, Japan is Sony's stronghold. Look at the 360 though, they come out with a Japan inspired game and it hits the top 10. If Sony was doing such a great job marketing to it's core market, shouldn't they be doing better?
          Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

Comment

Originally posted by justjohn View Post
            Right, but as Flynnibus said, Japan is Sony's stronghold. Look at the 360 though, they come out with a Japan inspired game and it hits the top 10. If Sony was doing such a great job marketing to it's core market, shouldn't they be doing better?
            Not with a $600.00 Console.

Comment

Originally posted by Chernabog View Post
              Also the 360 also has a single game in the top 30, so not sure why the ps3 is being singled out....
              Because it's Beautiful Katamari... a game that probably costs $20 to make and even then probably make a profit (even with the lack of 360 consoles sold in Japan) as opposed to Lair, which cost millions and they won't make a profit in their home target market.
              Burnt Toast
              The Magic Begins With Me...! 8:P

Comment

Originally posted by k_peek_2000 View Post

actually by these numbers I'd say it's all about the DS with the Wii taking in second place
                "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

Comment

Originally posted by Burnt Toast View Post
                  Because it's Beautiful Katamari... a game that probably costs $20 to make and even then probably make a profit (even with the lack of 360 consoles sold in Japan) as opposed to Lair, which cost millions and they won't make a profit in their home target market.

isn't Factor 5 a European or American developer I'm pretty sure they're not japanese no matter how you slice it

supposedly PS3 is aimed globaly but yeah it's a system with no real target country right now (n33ds the games before it can favor one region over another)
                  "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

Comment

The original Katamari was a definate Japanese title, and is still a favorite in our house. Not sure about it's sequels, which haven't been quite as fun.

Comment

in related news, it seems Capcom doesn't love the PS3 either...

http://kotaku.com/gaming/unconfirmed...ps3-316581.php

Capcom and Sony aren't exactly B.F.F. Former precieved exclusives like Devil May Cry 4 have gone multi-platform, while the next Monster Hunter game is sidestepping the PS3 for the Wii. Things are kinda prickly, it seems. Last week, Wii title Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure went on sale in Japan. (Did you get it?) A survey was included with the Japanese version that asked consumers what genre they like (RPG, Sports, Adventure, etc.) and what consoles they own. Let's take a closer look at that. Below is an English translation of the second to last bracket:
                      Please put a check next to the console you own 1. PlayStation (PS one)
                      2. PlayStation 2
                      3. GameCube
                      4. Dreamcast
                      5. Xbox
                      6. Xbox 360
                      7. Gameboy Advance (SP, Micro)
                      8. Nintendo DS (Lite)
                      9. PSP
                      10. Other

Notice anything missing? Capcom totally forgets the PS3 and the Wii. But if you bought a Wii game, chances are that you own, well, a Wii. So, Capcom forgets the Wii, but remembers the Dreamcast, the Xbox and The Gameboy Micro? We just hope it's a simple oversight that the PS3 is considered "Other" and that there's no secret Capcom conspiracy out to destroy the PLAYSTATION 3. You know, a brotherhood, men in cloaks, secret handshakes, the works.
                      Capcom Postcard Ignores PS3 [My Game News Flash]
                      Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

Comment

I'm just curious what was edited out of "19. Ta****en: Ta****e 10 ni Suru Monogatari (DS)"??
                        heh, same here...

This place is like a 360 fanboy hangout, thats why

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalDude View Post
                          heh, same here...

This place is like a 360 fanboy hangout, thats why
                          Oooh...

Sick burn!

Wait a minute...

Whats that black shiny box sitting next to my 360 and Wii?

Wow, you mean that PS3 I bought is supposed to play games too?

Now that is dedication for a fanboy, go out and drop $500 just to prove his point...

The PS3 is proving to be anything but a game system due to a lack of...

well...

games.

However, if you want anything else but a REALLY expensive PS2 or a DVD player, then it serves a purpose.
                          Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

Comment

Originally posted by sir clinksalot View Post
                            The original Katamari was a definate Japanese title, and is still a favorite in our house. Not sure about it's sequels, which haven't been quite as fun.
                            I'm actually REALLY disappointed with Beautiful Katamari. I love the Katamari series, but geeze... what a let down.
                            Burnt Toast

Comment

I won't get a PS3 until I can name five games that are out right now that I would want for it. Right now it's just a Blu-Ray movie player that just happens to play REALLY crappy games... and not to mention that their online "service" is a complete joke.

That's sad because it's supposed to be a "PlayStation", not a "We at Sony Are Desperate for Blu-Ray to Win the Next-Gen Movie Format War Because We Come Off a LONG History of Introducing Failed Formats So We Threw All of Our Money to the Movie Studios Instead of the Game Studios to Keep Their Games Exclusive... Nevermind That This Was Supposed to Be a PlayStation System and We're Going to Totally Screw Up a Brand Name that We've Built for the Last 10+ Years". :P

Until Sony gets over themselves and gets their priorities in order and realize that they need to concentrate more on their games, then I won't buy one because I'm not going to buy a "PlayStation" just to watch Blu-Ray movies (HD-DVD has a better movie user experience/interface anyways in almost every way anyways).

Oh yah, MGS4 has been officially delayed until Q2 now. Sony is in deep trouble.
                              Burnt Toast

Comment

Originally posted by Burnt Toast View Post
                                I won't get a PS3 until I can name five games that are out right now that I would want for it. Right now it's just a Blu-Ray movie player that just happens to play REALLY crappy games... and not to mention that their online "service" is a complete joke.
                                Jeez you guys are harsh. It isn't that all the games on the ps3 suck, it is just that there aren't that many EXCLUSIVE games right now that are good. Many major titles are being released on multiple systems (i.e. this week Guitar Hero III, Simpsons Game, etc.; later, Resident Evil 5, Fallout 3, etc.), so I don't see what the big whoop is.

Resistance:Fall of Man, Final Fantasy XIII, Rachet & Clank, God of War 3, all those are ps3 exclusives. The only game I've heard that is worth buying a 360 for is Halo 3, and I don't personally like Halo. (Bioshock is available on a better version on the PC, as is Elder Scrolls:Oblivion).

Justjohn I don't understand -- if you have all three systems and you're buying multiformat games in formats other than the ps3, then I don't understand why pile the crap on the ps3? Maybe it just doesn't fit your needs atm BECAUSE you have the 360. You could just as easily buy all the multiformat games on the ps3 and complain that you just have the 360 as a Halo/Bioshock playing paperweight.

Burnt Toast -- as far as the bluray versus hd-dvd is concerned, isn't it more expensive to buy a 360 ($349) + the HD-DVD player ($179) than it is just to buy a Ps3 ($399-$499)? You aren't buying a Xbox360 "just" to watch HD-DVD movies either.

What is so special about the HD-DVD "features"? They both have their plusses and minuses spec-wise (especially with sound), they both look great on a big TV.... Bluray has menus which can pop up while the movie is playing, and it will eventually have picture-in-picture stuff from what I've read. They're still playing with the format. What is coming out now for BOTH formats is "bare bones" in a way, sort of like when DVD first came out. So honestly, I'm not buying the "360 Roxx04z!!I!" line when things are pretty darn similar atm.
                                I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)
                                sigpic

Founding Member of the BA!

Comment

Jeez you guys are harsh. It isn't that all the games on the ps3 suck, it is just that there aren't that many EXCLUSIVE games right now that are good. Many major titles are being released on multiple systems (i.e. this week Guitar Hero III, Simpsons Game, etc.; later, Resident Evil 5, Fallout 3, etc.), so I don't see what the big whoop is.
                                  For the most part, multi-console games are better on the 360 because of the rumble feature. I never really noticed how much you rely on that single (last gen according to Sony, until everybody complains about it, then they settle to get access to the feature back) feature until you don't have it.

Resistance:Fall of Man, Final Fantasy XIII, Rachet & Clank, God of War 3, all those are ps3 exclusives. The only game I've heard that is worth buying a 360 for is Halo 3, and I don't personally like Halo. (Bioshock is available on a better version on the PC, as is Elder Scrolls:Oblivion).
                                  How long are people going to keep bringing Resistance up? The game is 2 weeks short of being a year old!

Final Fantasy XIII - When was that coming out again?

God of War 3 - When was that one coming out again?

RC:TOD - FPS, I will wait until I get rumble controllers.

MGS4 - delayed

Justjohn I don't understand -- if you have all three systems and you're buying multiformat games in formats other than the ps3, then I don't understand why pile the crap on the ps3?
                                  because the versions are more enjoyable on the 360.

Maybe it just doesn't fit your needs atm BECAUSE you have the 360. You could just as easily buy all the multiformat games on the ps3 and complain that you just have the 360 as a Halo/Bioshock playing paperweight.
                                  No, I couldn't because as of right now, they are not as enjoyable as on the 360.

Burnt Toast -- as far as the bluray versus hd-dvd is concerned, isn't it more expensive to buy a 360 ($349) + the HD-DVD player ($179) than it is just to buy a Ps3 ($399-$499)? You aren't buying a Xbox360 "just" to watch HD-DVD movies either.
                                  Right, but when you compare a PS3 as a stand alone dvd player, (essentially what it is right now without any strong games), you can get a Toshiba HD-DVD player for under $200. Frankly, my home theater has an upscaling DVD player and I own one Blu-Ray movie so that wasn't even a good reason to buy it.

Cherny, in one of your own posts, you admit that you are using your PS3 solely to play PS1/PS2 games and as a DVD player.

What is coming out now for BOTH formats is "bare bones" in a way, sort of like when DVD first came out. So honestly, I'm not buying the "360 Roxx04z!!I!" line when things are pretty darn similar atm.
                                  Well, except for the games that is...
                                  Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

Comment

MGS4 has just been delayed again to Q2 2008...
                                    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

Comment

My new favorite game, Singstar has been delayed, with no US date available...

There isn't anything to that game! Its a music video with a floating bar on it! In fact, we use the PS2 version on the PS3!
                                      Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

Comment

Unreal Tournament 3...

delayed.
                                        Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring