Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A honest, non-partisan review of EVERY current-gen console.

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A honest, non-partisan review of EVERY current-gen console.

I now own:
    Xbox 360
    Nintendo Wii
    Playstation 3
    Nintendo DS
    PSP
    PC
    iMac

Yeah, my financial priorities are out of whack... anyway.

After playing on all of them for a while I now have real, honest-to-goodness review of the current generation of gaming machines. I'm not trying to say which is the best or worst, just what I as a game player see in them. All statistics, sales reports, fanboyism, online bloggers, and other goobers are out the window. This is just what I think.

First, the computers:

iMac - A great tool for the graphic designer, hence the graphics tend to look better and games tend to run smoother. Too bad there is only about eight games for it. The model we have is a few years old and it still runs games at the top possible graphics, sound, and action... if we can find one for it. The mouse and keyboard are not friendly to gamers though, we had to buy new ones. If you want play a wide array of computer games then the PC is a better go, but I'd rather play World of Warcraft on the Mac any day of the week.

PC - The biggest and best games are usually for the PC. A top of the line machine gives a far better presentation than any console... the problem is you need to pay out of the butt to keep a machine "top of the line". Frankly, I'm a bit tired of buying a new graphics card whenever one comes out so I can play the game the way it was meant to be played. (now that I've got an xbox 360, I don't have to worry about it as much). I wish the major consoles would utilize a some kind of mouse "point and click" interface for FPS (The Wii does well, if they only had more power).

Now the consoles:

Nintendo Wii - I stood in line for twelve hours for this bad boy, it was a fun time actually.
    Much has been said that this can't compare to the "big boys" but I don't know. The nifty new controller has lost some of the novelty to me, after about the umpteenth collection of mini games that all basically tell you to do the same thing, but I still like it. I have nothing against the Mini Game collection. Indeed games like Raving Rabbids and Wario Ware take the mini game to new levels of fun, but I guess it's too easy to build a generic, stupid collection of mini games, cuz there are several of those out there as well. The non-mini game games for the Wii are almost always subpar to anything else out there, with a few very notable exceptions: Zelda and Metroid Prime (which I can't help but feel may have been better with a different controller...)Oh... and paper Mario. The complete backwards compatibility aspect is a huge plus for me, and the virtual console.... well... it's reminding me how much I suck at old-school games.
    I used to be critical about Nintendo selling cheap hardware and making people buy countless add-ons, and they do have a few, but not as much as say.... Microsoft. Their web browser is... something I've only ever used to play Homestarrunner games with. The extra channels are a joke... News I can almost see but Weather? Polls? Please. And at the price I guess I can't complain, but the multi-media aspect of the Wii is dismal. If you are going to try and claim you want to appeal to the causal gamer, let them watch a freakin' DVD eh?
    If you want a console that will be a hit when mom and grandma come over with the kids, which I do, the Wii is the best bang for the buck. And with the very modest cost, I can't see a gamer NOT getting a Wii. But I find I usually only play it when large groups of people who don't play games are around. Nintendo has never been too friendly with 3rd party developers, so here's hoping for yet another Mario game that may give me more of a game than Mario Party.

Playstation 3
    It seems everyone wants to see this puppy fail.
    What can I say? I love it! It looks good, it plays good, it interfaces well. I love it. Yeah, it was expensive, but I haven't had to buy any peripherals (of course when the dual shock 3 controllers come out I'm all over them) and it gives me anything I could ask from a game machine and more.
    Unlike every other console I own, I have never had one hardware issue with the PS3... wait... once Final Fantasy XII froze up on me... for a few seconds... that's it.
    The games look fantastic, and I don't own a HDTV yet... On my pathetic little standard def TV the games look amazingly better than PS2 or Wii games look. Much better, the difference is night and day. The Blueray player isn't too bad either.... when I get an HDTV it will be even better. The DVD player is far better than any other DVD player I have (including the 360). The interface is a breeze. the Wii is easier, but not as stylish. The Xbox is a mess compared to it. Oh... and online gaming... FREE!!! Home is just (always) around the corner and with it the dominance of an online gaming world.
    After a few updates, I haven't had any problems with backwards compatibility either, which is good because the PS2 is still cranking out great games. I know a newer model is discontinuing the backwards compatibility, which is a crime against humanity as far as I'm concerned, but I don't have to worry about it.
    Oh... and why can't the other guys get some bluetooth with their controllers? I go through so many AA batteries it's not funny (between the Wii and the 360). I can play for about 24 hours between charges, AND play while it charges.
    The games I've played on both the 360 and the PS3 always look and play better on the PS3 (Spiderman 3, The Darkness, Oblivion), now if only they could get some... you know... games.
    Seriously, it's bringing me down. I love the console, but all the best games aren't on it. I'm excited about some upcoming titles, but that don't pay the bills as it were. I'm using it mostly as a PS2... but I got a PS2 already. I know it's going to be slow, but come on! It's been slow for quite a while now. Give me some great exclusive titles. I imagine that come next year things will be different. I hope... I hope... I hope... Save me Final Fantasy!!!

Xbox 360
    I was bullied into buying this console. I didn't want to do it, but how else was I going to play Mass Effect, Halo 3, BioShock, and all the other huge games? (Also my brother-in-law is a programmer for Petroglyph games and they are hard at work for a Xbox 360 game... gotta support the family!)
    I have the opposite feelings for the 360 as I have for the PS3. I love the games but hate the system.
    -removable hard drives? That scares me into thinking I'll have to play the PC game with this thing later on.
    -$45 a year for online gaming... per person? My wife plays as much as I do, if not more, so.... if we both want an online profile with the 360, it's nearly a hundred dollars a year. Pfst. Stupid. Glad we don't have kids who want to play.
    -No built in wireless? What are we, cavemen? Oh.. it's another hundred bucks for that? I see.
    -A DVD player (that doesn't work properly, and doesn't have very good controls) or if you want to spend another hundred dollars here is a HD player.
    -A controller that uses AA batteries and no motion control. Sorry. The PS3 motion control may have a few issues, but it still adds something great to the party.
    -the backwards compatibility aspect it a nightmare of frustration. Want to play a Xbox game? First, check the list to see if you can, then hope for the best. I was so excited to play Knights of the old Republic... after exchanging the disk *six times* and not being able to play past five minutes before it froze up on me I discovered that this is one of many Xbox games that are on the "official" backwards compatible list that don't really work. ugh. double ugh.
    The marketplace is great though. Downloads are amazingly fast (if you have a Ethernet cord long enough to hook up) and varied. The achievement system is neat and gives further incentive to play games longer. I don't really like the interface. At all. Simplify it a bit eh?
    Of course, when all is said and done, it's the games I buy the console for, and the 360 has the games right now. I'll complain and complain about the downside, but slip Bioshock in and I'm a happy camper.

Finally, the handhelds

Nintendo DS
    This is a fun machine to hold. It makes me feel futuristic and important every time I pull the stylus out and flip it open.
    Nintendo has the market of family fun cornered with the Wii and the DS. The community aspect of DS games is great, if only the "friend" system was as stupid as a Oklahoma state dropout. The games... are getting better. Developers are starting to figure out that people don't just want silly little novelty games all the time. Games like brain-age and the like are creating a new niche in the gamer market that works well for handhelds... (not so much with the Wii. Sudoku is great for the bus, but at home on a console?). Games like Extreme Beat Agents and phoenix wright ace attorney show that this system has plenty of fun in it.
    But it hurts my hands to play it. I know that's a pretty... focused complaint, but my hands are too large I guess. They cramp up after ten minutes or so.

PSP
    Lots of bad press for this guy, and I don't know why. It's a great machine. the games are fun and more in depth and varied than the DS (usually). the GTA games, for instance, play amazingly... almost like a full blown console. The online gaming is great here as well, as is the fact that you can use it as a MP3 player and a bevy of other things. the web browser is great (would be better if they had a freaking keyboard for me somewhere). The UMD movies.... Some hate them, I like them. Maybe I'm benefiting from their unpopularity, but I am collecting quite a collection of UMD movies off the internet for about 5$ a pop, and watching them a lot. The quality is great and the screen size is just about perfect for hand held movies. I don't know if I'd pay $20 for them, but $5-$10 is just about right. The battery life is pretty impressive, though improvements could be made there as well. Like the PS3, I always have the nagging thought that I'm not getting the full use out of this guy.... maybe if I was more technology savvy things would be different. I'm sure there is some guy out there with a PSP that can... I don't know... drive a car or something.

You still here? You actually read all of that? Well... tell me what you think.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

Re: A honest, non-partisan review of EVERY current-gen console.

Wowzers. That's a good rundown of the debate!!! I'm curious though (since we're having a similar discussion in other threads, lol... this Great Gaming Debate of 2007) -- if there's a game that's available in all 3 formats, which would you purchase it on (price being equal)?

If there's a game that's available only on the Ps3 and the Xbox360, which would you purchase it on (price being equal)? Is the rumble feature one of the prime considerations in this aspect?

I agree that they aren't coming out with Final Fantasy XIII fast enough! :P
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)
    sigpic

Founding Member of the BA!

Comment

I don't think its fair to compare PC graphics to the 360 and PS3 if you don't have a HDTV. It's a whole different game then using a SD TV.

I too have found myself stop spending money on my PC since I've gotten my 360 (but yet again this christmas I'm trying to convince myself to upgrade).

The paying for xbox gold is a valid complaint - especially when multiplied like you describe. I didn't buy gold until I got it for about $3/month. I think with competition, MS will reduce the cost. But the president is out there. People pay much more to play a SINGLE game and will pay it for a long time if the game is good (WoW). The nice thing about XBL is of course its a 'one fee for all' system.

No wireless on 360 - a shortcoming if ethernet is an issue for you. Something you wish they threw in there, but not a huge deal IMO. That is more of a backwards compatible (home setups not internet-geared) rather then going forward. I ran ethernet to my TV area because I knew I'd need it for TiVo, games, HTPC, etc. There are alternatives of course at a cost.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo brings out a multimedia variant of the Wii in the future - they could easily expand the functionality if desired. I agree on the online aspect of the Wii - completely pointless and the BIGGEST shortfall (IMO) of the Wii.

If the Wii had XBL with its integrated chat and library - OMG it would rule. I probably couldn't pull my wife off from competing with her sister across the country, etc.

I've still seen the Wii convert more people then any other system I've seen before it. I really like my 360. I haven't played a game on the PC since I've had it.

Now I just need to ensure I don't spend more money on XBL - its very tempting.

We should lobby Monorail man to incorporate gamertags, etc
      Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
      Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Originally posted by sleepyjeff
      Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Comment

Another 360 owner here.

I got mine for Christmas last year.

Since then I have added:

Another wireless controller

Rechargeable battery packs

HD-DVD (this was a deal since it was $99 and came with King Kong in the box and 4 or 5 HD-DVDs by mail)

Wifi Adapter (I bought this since I don't have an Ethernet drop near my TV. I have since purchased a wireless Ethernet bridge for that part of the house so I didn't need the adapter after all)

and I just got the thumb keyboard that snaps to the controller.

I don't consider these outrageous purchases as the console was a gift.

I do like how the headset connects to the wireless controller.

I am VERY happy with it and the game selection. I have an HDTV so it looks great!

XBox live is really good and playing co-op Halo 3 on Legendary with headsets is awesome!

My only complaint so far is it is a bit noisy fan and optical drive wise

I was a PC gamer before getting my XBox. I was just tired of the constant hardware upgrades: CPU, RAM, video card, etc. Heck a good video card costs about the same as an XBox. Even with upgraded gear you were never sure if you could run the new hot game game at proper resolution with everything on max detail.

A co-worker of mine just dropped a bundle and built a sweet new white box. He's got 4Gigs RAM, a quad core Intel CPU and an 8800 GTS video card. He just downloaded the demo of Crysis and it still is kinda herky jerky at 1280x1024. This may be a driver issue but that is whole other ball of wax.

Comment

yes, the 360 is stupid loud. the optical drive is very very loud on mine. Certainly not a very elegant mechanical thing (like an iMac would be or something) but the results are decent.

It is quite a shame on the drive noise though..

Am I evil? yes, I am

Comment

I was bummed out by the noise of the 360 at first, but since I sit pretty far away when I play, I barely even hear it now.

My favs of this round of systems are the 360 and the PSP, because they both offer alot of extras besides gaming. Had a DS, and got bored with it, I'm not really interested in the Wii, and the verdict is still out on the PS3 due to it not having to many titles I'm interested in.

I'm glad my friend convinced me to get a 360 instead of the PS3, since I'm having a blast with it, both on the games front as well as the media goodies. I'll be adding the HD-DVD player to the 360 (maybe for X-Mas) too.

I just can't get into pc gaming, so I'll stick with my consoles(both current and past) and my PSP.

Comment

Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
              yes, the 360 is stupid loud. the optical drive is very very loud on mine. Certainly not a very elegant mechanical thing (like an iMac would be or something) but the results are decent.

It is quite a shame on the drive noise though..
              Indeed. The 360 is loud. Everytime you fire it up its like a huge Jet Engine just started up. Compared to a Wii or PS3 the noise factor is absolutely ridiculous.
              Class of 2005...

Comment

Originally posted by Chernabog View Post
                Wowzers. That's a good rundown of the debate!!! I'm curious though (since we're having a similar discussion in other threads, lol... this Great Gaming Debate of 2007) -- if there's a game that's available in all 3 formats, which would you purchase it on (price being equal)?

If there's a game that's available only on the Ps3 and the Xbox360, which would you purchase it on (price being equal)? Is the rumble feature one of the prime considerations in this aspect?

I agree that they aren't coming out with Final Fantasy XIII fast enough! :P
                If a game came out on all three platforms, and they were teh same price.... I'd go for the PS3. As I said, it's the only hardware I haven't had an issue with. The problem is, their is more than price. The Wii is going to have the lest powerful of the three, so unfortunately it's almost always right out. If I can play a game, or play a game that was cut back to fit into the Wii.... well, you get the picture. I'm counting on killer exclusives to make the Wii worthwhile (and I think it already is... got to play a early release copy of Super Mario Galaxies.... AWSOME!!)

Between the PS3 and the 360 then.... if there was nothing extra I'd go for the PS3, but there is almost always something different between the two. Like I said, I find graphics, load times, and speed on the PS3 to be better, but often the 360 has exclusive content... as does the PS3.
                For example, I got the PS3 version of Spiderman 3 because you could play as the New Goblin, but you can bet the farm I'll be playing GTA 4 on the 360 because of the buttload of money they spent to get exclusive content. I research the difference between the games and pick the one I feel gives the better deal. If neither has any extras, I'll go for the PS3 almost every time.

Rumble is nice, but I'll get my hands on that fancy new Dualshock 3 controller soon enough. And the motion control aspects, though they can be a bit sniggly, adds a lot. Frankly I'm surprised that Microsoft hasn't announced a new controller with motion sensing.

Originally posted by mainstreetcm View Post
                Indeed. The 360 is loud. Everytime you fire it up its like a huge Jet Engine just started up. Compared to a Wii or PS3 the noise factor is absolutely ridiculous.
                You know what... I never noticed the noise. Hmm. Interesting what one person picks up that another never noticed.

Thanks a lot... I bet I notice it now! LOL.
                St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

Comment

stop buying consoles and buy a HDTV already

Am I evil? yes, I am

Comment

Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
                    stop buying consoles and buy a HDTV already
                    Tell me about it.

It's my wife, man!!! She's the one who drags me into it. I really want an HDTV, but my wife says, "I wanna play Halo 3, I wanna PSP, I wanna, I wanna, I wanna"

People don't believe me, but the gaming force in our marriage is my wife.

She's the one who convinced me to wait for 12 hours for a Wii
                    She's the one who keeps giving our hard earned money to World of Warcraft
                    She's the one who imports DS titles from Japan.
                    She's the one who bought the DS and PSP
                    She's the one who bought about 80% of our games
                    She's the one who decided we really could afford a Xbox 360
                    She's the one who, at this very moment, is playing Bioshock instead of going to school.

She's the one, man!!!

Comment

blah I wanted to write a huge entry to this thread but have been sidetracked by college for a while now and then my computer restarted :B

basicaly though I thinks I want to point out Joshualee that the Wii DOES use bluetooth for it's controllers (you asked why other company's don't) that's how you can connect the Wiimote to your computer infact (with a bluetooth adaptor and the right drivers)

I'm also going to dissagree on Metroid, Metroid was horrible on the GC controlers and didn't work well for me at all mostly because while the game was first person the controls were more like what one would see in a platformer, the Wii made the right combination of what I'd expect for both first person shooting and platforming and was thus the most intuative for me, the extra interactions were just icing on the cake

now if your going to argue Zelda I'll agree there but I'm pretty sure the next Zelda game ought to make better use of the Wii remote (taking some inspiration from Metroid and perhaps a bit from Zack and Wiki even?)
                      "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

Comment

Metroid was horrible on the GC controlers
                        I'm gonna have to disagree with you on that one. It wasnt your typical FPS set up but it still worked well IMO. Of course the Wii controls totally blow it out of the water.
                        As far as Zelda goes, I'm hoping you're right and that the next Wii Zelda uses the Wii Remote more to its abilities.
                        Out of the NIGHT....
                        When the full moon is BRIGHT!!
                        Comes a horseman known as ZORRO!!!
                        ---------------------------------------

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X