This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So...tell me about the XBox

My Bf wants an xbox for the holidays. I'm very confused on older systems vs newer systems, hdmi....IDK. I'm not a gamer. I see on Amazon they have a console for $349.99 and then they have what looks like the same console and 2 games for $349.99. So, I'm confused....logically I figure there must be a difference in the console if they are the same price, but one comes with games.

I guess what I need to know are what are the specs for the newest version?

Is this a good version and do you see any difference between this one and this one?...besides one come with games. The first link is what my Bf found, but it looks liek the same on from amazon.

Re: So...tell me about the XBox

Those are pretty much all the same console. The newest versions of the Pro have HDMI output which older consoles didn't have. The games are bundled in as a special bonus. Buy it whichever place you feel comfortable with, you are getting the exact same thing from both places.
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

Comment

Originally posted by justjohn View Post
      Those are pretty much all the same console. The newest versions of the Pro have HDMI output which older consoles didn't have. The games are bundled in as a special bonus. Buy it whichever place you feel comfortable with, you are getting the exact same thing from both places.
      Thank you. I wish they didn't make it so confusing. I like buying from amazon, because I get free two day shipping or overnight shipping on this for $1.99.

Comment

Yeah, there have been a lot of updates to the consoles over the last couple of months. The Pro should have HDMI and maybe the new cooler running chip.

The games are a recent addition. Forza is a fantastic game. You also have a strong library of games to back up your purchase.
        Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

Comment

If you buy a Pro (white box) or an Elite (black/gray box) right now until the holidays, you get two free games bundled in the box. Forza 2 and Marvel Ultimate Alliance (it's not the gold edition).
          Burnt Toast
          The Magic Begins With Me...! 8:P

Comment

Get the Pro bundle they are both the same but the Pro bundle comes with 2 games

Comment

Nevermind my bad

Comment

Originally posted by Karnever View Post
                Get the Pro bundle they are both the same but the Pro bundle comes with 2 games
                Yes, that is the one we have been eying.

I read you can also play online against other people. Does that work out well? I guess I play online games on the computer and the xbox is a computer, but I can't wrap my mind around it.

Comment

I don't have a 360, but from what I understand the online play is amazing.

I think I've heard though that the 360 does not offer WiFi and you have to make sure you have an ethernet set up within reach of your system.

Comment

Be aware that with online, it's $50/year. You can buy it for less time, but the year subscription is the cheapest. Gregg is right, it doesn't have wifi out of the box, but can be added later with an additional piece of hardware that plugs into the back of the actual console.

That having been said, the gameplay, graphics, and online components of the 360 are incredible and it's a purchase I haven't once regretted.

Comment

im definately digging the 360 now that most of my franchises are going multi-platform...only thing that saddens me ismy BIG one hasnt jumped ship yet.

that said, the 360 was a hard sell originally for me. I'm a fanboy of the big N primarily (never leave home without the DS) and Sony's always had the things I want...but this generation seems to have changed the rules and I'm definately pleased with my purchase of the 360.

I got the Halo 3 edition. I like green =]
                      PSN: ItsTheRocketeer
                      Nintendo Network: ItsTheRocketeer
                      3DS: 3050-7580-4526

Comment

Originally posted by SCUBAbe View Post
                        Thank you. I wish they didn't make it so confusing. I like buying from amazon, because I get free two day shipping or overnight shipping on this for $1.99.
                        Unless you live in the middle of nowhere I would suggest going into a store like Best Buy and buy it. This way your XBX is not bumped around for a few days while in the mail and you can get the 2 year replacment plan. And with your XBX chances are good that you will need to take advantage of the plan... cuz they go out very, very often.

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalDude View Post
                          Unless you live in the middle of nowhere I would suggest going into a store like Best Buy and buy it. This way your XBX is not bumped around for a few days while in the mail and you can get the 2 year replacment plan. And with your XBX chances are good that you will need to take advantage of the plan... cuz they go out very, very often.
                          The new 360's seem to have a better rate of not going out. But I definately suggest getting the two year repacement plan from Best Buy or wherever you buy.

I love the 360, but I had an Xbox since the beginning. The online is outstanding and it is only $50 a year. The only problem is the public rooms tend to get a little frustrating with the young kids yelling and screaming and using the F word every couple seconds. If you do get the 360 and want to go online, I suggest getting involved with a group of people that play for fun and dont have to curse and scream. Get a hold of me if you want, I joined a group called League of Amateur Gamers. It is a bunch of mostly married men and women in their 30s like like to have fun while playing. If anyone else is interested, let me know. And this is not SPAM even though it sounds like it is. lol
                          When hinges creek in doorless chambers, and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, Whenever candlelights flicker, where the air is deathly still, That is the time when ghosts are present practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.

Welcome, foolish mortals, to the Haunted Mansion!

Comment

Originally posted by Nuklhed View Post
                            The new 360's seem to have a better rate of not going out. But I definately suggest getting the two year repacement plan from Best Buy or wherever you buy.

I love the 360, but I had an Xbox since the beginning. The online is outstanding and it is only $50 a year. The only problem is the public rooms tend to get a little frustrating with the young kids yelling and screaming and using the F word every couple seconds. If you do get the 360 and want to go online, I suggest getting involved with a group of people that play for fun and dont have to curse and scream. Get a hold of me if you want, I joined a group called League of Amateur Gamers. It is a bunch of mostly married men and women in their 30s like like to have fun while playing. If anyone else is interested, let me know. And this is not SPAM even though it sounds like it is. lol
                            We're going to get the xbox from a regular store today.The price is the same (except I will have to pay tax) and I figure if something is wrong with it it will be easier to return.

I'm defiantly interested in the online group, but we have to get the system first and set it up. It says it comes with a silver online thing. Does that allow for game lay or do we have to buy gold for that?

Comment

The Silver will allow you to make a friends list and show your status online. You will not be able to actually play online, that is what you need Gold for. Everyonce in a while, they have a free weekend promotion, but those are kind of rare. They do have 48 hour gold membership cards that come with a lot of new games. You can always set up your silver account and keep the name it gives you and then try the gold trial card to see if online gaming is what you want to do. I have killed a lot of hours plyaing online with friends, it is a lot of fun.
                              When hinges creek in doorless chambers, and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, Whenever candlelights flicker, where the air is deathly still, That is the time when ghosts are present practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.

Comment

I have everything set up. It came with a month free of gold. So, after setting that part up I have no idea how to use it. I played pac man, but I think that's on the hard drive anyway. I guess I'll figure it out eventually.

I've been playing guitar hero so far and trying to drive the car game. That's really hard.

I went to 4 stores and they were all out of the extra controllers. I finally just order edit online. It will be here tomorrow.

I so want to figure out the live gold area, but it just seems to lead to nowhere. Does a game have to be in to get there?

Comment

The live gold area is the same thing as the silver... or what you have as your "Gamertag." When you have a game in that allows online play, that is where the gold function allows you to either enter a game or create your own game. Otherwise, if you entered a "Gamertag" you are all set.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuklhed View Post
                                    The live gold area is the same thing as the silver... or what you have as your "Gamertag." When you have a game in that allows online play, that is where the gold function allows you to either enter a game or create your own game. Otherwise, if you entered a "Gamertag" you are all set.
                                    ok, I managed to play guitar hero online. I truly suck, but the person was nice enough not to laugh at me. How do I find groups like the one mentioned below.

I joined a group called League of Amateur Gamers. It is a bunch of mostly married men and women in their 30s like like to have fun while playing. If anyone else is interested, let me know. And this is not SPAM even though it sounds like it is. lol

Comment

I have everything set up. It came with a month free of gold. So, after setting that part up I have no idea how to use it. I played pac man, but I think that's on the hard drive anyway. I guess I'll figure it out eventually.

I've been playing guitar hero so far and trying to drive the car game. That's really hard.

I went to 4 stores and they were all out of the extra controllers. I finally just order edit online. It will be here tomorrow.

I so want to figure out the live gold area, but it just seems to lead to nowhere. Does a game have to be in to get there?
                                      I thought the 360 was for your boyfriend?
                                      Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

Comment

ok, I managed to play guitar hero online. I truly suck, but the person was nice enough not to laugh at me.
                                        Just wait, theres nothing more humiliating than getting laughed at by a 14 year old...
                                        Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X