This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sony refuses to honor PS3 warrenty due to dust

You know.. this just goes to show how oblivious Sony is to what is going on around them.

Microsoft just got slammed over the last year for handling warranty issues and Sony is practically on life-support trying to figure out how to get people to buy PS3s. So what does Sony's support department do? Run someone through the wringer over warranty work?

You shouldn't be treating customers so coldly when you are so desperate to establish a user base.

http://consumerist.com/consumer/sony...nty-321226.php

I have kept my 60gb PS3 in Its entertainment center since its purchase. It is known within the PS3 community that the thing is a HUGE dust magnet. I took good care of it, I have about 10 Blu-ray discs (did NOT come free with my PS3), 5 games, 5 controllers, 2 42" Bravia LCD's 1 50" Bravia 3lcd Rear projection TV, A Vaio desktop, Vaio laptop, I've even got a psp and location free TV. One day I turn it on and put in a disc and it doesn't show up, then it wont eject, finally I get it to eject and I try a blu-ray, nothing, CDs, nothing.

I call Customer support who originally tell me that they can do anything because I don't have the original sales receipt, (it was a GIFT!!!), I stayed on the phone for hours explaining to them that I don't have thee receipt as it was a gift from my parents. Finally I got a rep who said that it was strange that earlier reps hadn't let me go through with the exchange as if it was a gift it was policy not to require a receipt. He sent me a box, I boxed up my console and sent it in.

5 days later I have no updates on the PS3, I call in to check on it, The first rep I speak to says that it was received without a receipt, and was delayed but he was going to note that it was a gift and get the replacement sent out to me.

6 hours later I get a call from Neil saying that unfortunately they have opened the case and taken pictures of the inside and outside of the case and that it was too dirty to be eligible for replacement. I paused for a good 8 seconds, because my PS3 had not moved from the entertainment center that it sat in more than 8 months I had wiped it off before sending it out, THE WHOLE POINT of the PS3 Is that it is part of your entertainment center! I Told him that was crazy and that it was a known problem that the PS3 collected mass loads of dust. That their product hasn't even been out for 1 year and he's telling me I'm out of warranty because there is too much dust in it!? I told him that someone needed to double check because I really took care of my PS3 and there was no way it was so dirty that they wouldn't replace it. He said he would and he would find out about getting pictures.

The next day I got a call from the same guy, Saying he couldn't get pictures, and there was no way they could replace the console unless I paid 150$ out-of-warranty replacement fee. I dais I needed to speak to his supervisor and it took him a while but he eventually transferred me to yet another person who just told me from the pictures they saw of the outside of the PS3, the memory ports and the USB ports, that there was dust inside of these ports, and that there was no way they would replace such a dusty console.

I then asked for HER supervisor, who was a very rude woman named Daria Woo Ext # 55682. She basically told me if I wanted the pictures of the PS3 That they were property of SCEA, And that I would have to SUBPOENA the pictures! I told her that this was ridiculous! That in order to take the same pictures that they did I would have to open my case, and void my warranty! I asked her if I could record what she was saying and she immediately snapped a NO, And asked for what purpose, I told her it was so I could educate the entire world on the ethics of the PS3 repair center. She told me my only options were to have the PS3 sent back, pay 150$ for a replacement, or leave it there for 10 days until it gets sent back. I told her to leave it because I was going to write a few emails so that this situation could actually get resolved. She told me any email I wrote or number I called would get me transferred to her department and that she would not help. I asked her exactly what part of the warranty stated that if a unit is too dusty it cannot be replaced.

She told me that it was under "acts of god, customer abuse" section when I had clearly told her that it sat in my entertainment center acting as a blu-ray playing, [email protected] computing, media center and that obviously the amount of dust inside the console is caused by a design flaw and not my quite dust-less room.

I don't get it! Sony is including [email protected] with their consoles, The auto-start feature makes it so its running almost all the time, OF COURSE ITS GOING TO BE FILLED WITH DUST! A few reps said that the reason they couldn't replace it was because it looked as if it had about 2 years worth of dust in it rather than 8 months..... The console hasn't even been out a year so obviously that is less than a years worth of dust.

I love the PS3, I'm a Sony fanboy, I have a copy of Heavenly Sword Un-Played because I'm waiting for the replacement to come back, For them to say they wont replace it because it is such a damn dust magnet is absolutely ridiculous. IM NOT paying 150$ for someone to use an air compressor to dust off my PS3 re-test it and send it back. MAYBE Sony should let their customers know that excessive dust voids the warranty, so that people can start selling air filter set's for it, and air-sealed boxes for the PS3 to sit in.

Warranty-voiding clumps of dust shouldn't constitute normal wear and tear, and certainly wouldn't rank high on the list of awe-inspiring acts of God. Tell us wise commenters, what should reader Ive do with his divinely dusty PS3? Pay Sony $150? Maybe smash the dust out? Share your advice in the comments
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Originally posted by sleepyjeff
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Re: Sony refuses to honor PS3 warrenty due to dust

Here is a quote lifted from another site by another person made in reply to this very same post:

"Kotaku, Destructoid, and Joystiq are the gossip rags of the industry. If one person has a problem, they will try to make it sound like an industry standard. Remember this is ONE person with a unverified problem.

I'm eagerly awaiting for the "Peter Moore is a space alien headline"
    Last edited by SoCal; 11-11-2007, 06:32 PM.

Comment

I'm still trying to make any sense what you posted at all.

'known problem with dust' I guess is what you may be referring to - but I find that moot anyway. The real issue here is Sony Denying Warranty service in a crappy fashion in a market they should be HUGGING cutomers, not stiff arming them. That's the real story IMO.

Am I evil? yes, I am

Comment

Shenanniagns, Mullarkey, Blarney, and BS will be called on this subject.

Comment

Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
          I'm still trying to make any sense what you posted at all.

'known problem with dust' I guess is what you may be referring to - but I find that moot anyway. The real issue here is Sony Denying Warranty service in a crappy fashion in a market they should be HUGGING cutomers, not stiff arming them. That's the real story IMO.
          I edited the first line to help you out a bit... did not think it would be hard to understand but oh well.

This guy is an attention whore a-hole. There is another "story" up by them with the title that dust does not void the warranty. He got nailed ofr neglect, not dust. And listening to the recorded convo it sounds like he never dusts in his home lol.

Guess he should have got it fro Best Buy because thier PRP covers dust
          Last edited by SoCal; 11-11-2007, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Sony CSR: What? No! Dust Doesn't Void Your PS3 Warranty!
            A Sony CSR admitted to reader Ive that dust should not void a Playstation 3's warranty. Transcript and audio, after the jump.

Ive: I'm calling just to pretty much clarify the PS3's warranty, if there's any clause in the warranty that makes it so that if the PS3 is too dusty that the warranty is void.
            CSR: No.

Ive: No?

CSR: No. The only way that it, um, voided is if it was neglected, um, abused, dropped or anything like, modificated like if you opened it up, modification, if you didn't have your receipt, um, any power failures like mother nature or anything like that then that actually does void the warranty. Other than that any defective PS3s or anything like that is still, um, still under the warranty.

Ive spoke to several CSRs, each of whom took a similar position until they read the account notes. Apparently, a tech determined that the fearsome dust constituted neglect and presented a threat to his health.

To his credit, the CSR handled a ridiculous situation fairly well.

http://consumerist.com/consumer/audi...nty-321288.php
            sigpic
            Check out my podcast: www.drunkondisney.com

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalDude View Post
              I edited the first line to help you out a bit... did not think it would be hard to understand but oh well.

This guy is an attention whore a-hole. There is another "story" up by them with the title that dust does not void the warranty. He got nailed ofr neglect, not dust. And listening to the recorded convo it sounds like he never dusts in his home lol.

Guess he should have got it fro Best Buy because thier PRP covers dust
              Talk about a fanboy post.

Do you even have a PS3? My PS3 is sitting in an entertainment center also and the ports all have dust gathered around them just from using it as a dvd player.

If they are going to void the warranty for dust, they need to let everybody know to keep there PS3's wrapped in bubble wrap to protect the sensitive innards before they start voiding warranties.

Microsoft may have problems, but at least they have the nads to extend their warranty to 3 years and cover these issues along with reimbursing all of their past billings.

Sony is seriously making me sick with this console. Half the time the things sucks as a DVD player as well. We have to eject the disc once or twice to get the disc to read and get rid of lines in the picture.
              Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

Comment

-Tim

Comment

Originally posted by justjohn View Post
                  Talk about a fanboy post.

Do you even have a PS3? My PS3 is sitting in an entertainment center also and the ports all have dust gathered around them just from using it as a dvd player.

If they are going to void the warranty for dust, they need to let everybody know to keep there PS3's wrapped in bubble wrap to protect the sensitive innards before they start voiding warranties.

Microsoft may have problems, but at least they have the nads to extend their warranty to 3 years and cover these issues along with reimbursing all of their past billings.

Sony is seriously making me sick with this console. Half the time the things sucks as a DVD player as well. We have to eject the disc once or twice to get the disc to read and get rid of lines in the picture.

Common sense = fanboy? I had no idea....

Yes I own a PS3, have had it for a few months now. My house actually gets cleaned on a regular basis - and that includes dusting and I have no problem with my PS3 or any of my other electronics. We clean and dust and all that fun stuff. Do you?

They did not void the warranty due to dust, look into the linkage before you post. They voided it due to neglect.... and yes I would consider not cleaning neglect.

Microsoft may have problems?? They were having so many problems they had to extend their warranty........ and this is the first documented problem we have seen about this in regards to the PS3, I am ok with that.

And if you are so unhappy with your system and/or Sony then why do you stll have your system? Why not sell it and get something else? If all you use it for is a DVD player you can go get a reg dvd player for around $20.

Comment

Neglect... yeah.. I didn't realize my home entertainment electronics required 4month care cycles and extra TLC or else they'd get voided:blush:

You still fail to look at the whole point of the post - how Sony is interacting with its customers in a dire time.

Am I evil? yes, I am

Comment

Hrm....

If I didn't put oil in my car and it broke down, would I expect my warranty to cover that?

Regular cleaning is part of the upkeep for any piece of equipment. If You Don't Take Care Of Your Stuff, Then It Will Not Work Properly. Welcome to Kindergarten.

Also, I always laugh when an entire huge company is condemned based on the actions of one or two low level employees. Every time I call any customer service line, it's a gambol. Sometimes I get great help, other times I can tell the person doesn't give a lump of coal about my problems. Yes, they should all be better, but just because this one fella had one bad experience... not enough to make a deal out of. The only thing I can think of is that these people are teenagers who have never had to call a customer service number in their life... or take care of anything for that matter.

No sympathy for people who don't take care of their purchases. Yes, my PS3 gets dust on the vents, I clean it off at least once a week. Same thing can be said about my 360, Desktop computer, and most surfaces in my house. take twenty seconds and wipe that expensive piece of equipment down.

Now, the 360's Ring of Death problem, or the Wii's weak wrist strap... those are different matters all together. (that they both took care of after the fact).

Originally posted by justjohn
                      If you read the manual that came with the machine, it tells you how to clean and maintain it. I mean... it's there, you know? You don't need to wrap it in bubble wrap, but if you notice dust, then.... you know... dust it.

If you are having DVD problems.... do you upload the updates? I know I had a tough time with some PS2 games till I updated it. I watch DVDs and BlueRay disks all the time and never have ANY problems. I guess there could be a problem if you don't take care of it ever.
                      Last edited by thejoshualee; 11-13-2007, 07:09 AM.
                      St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

Comment

Originally posted by thejoshualee View Post
                        Hrm....

If I didn't put oil in my car and it broke down, would I expect my warranty to cover that?
                        Invalid comparison - your car has a fixed maintenance schedule and reasonable expectations around its use.

How many people take their TV or VCR to the TV Shop every 6 months for scheduled maintenance? How many TVs or VCR require maintenance EVER? They are built to use until they break. Most aren't even designed to be repaired at all.

The PS3 is sold as a consumer piece of electronics. It's designed to work in a certain environment. When you have active cooling and fans in a system part of your design is what it intakes and how you deal with it. As a piece of consumer electronics it has a certain expectation in its use. It like a DVD player, or VCR, etc simply requires adequate airflow and should be able to run in a normal household situation. In fact the equipment is EXPLICITLY DESIGNED to be non-serviceable by the consumer. So unlike your 'car' comparison, the unit is not INTENDED to be serviced regularly.

Any computer worth a dman can at least run for a year or more WITHOUT cleaning.

Regular cleaning is part of the upkeep for any piece of equipment. If You Don't Take Care Of Your Stuff, Then It Will Not Work Properly. Welcome to Kindergarten.
                        Really? When was the last time you cleaned out your alarm clock? There is certain, REASONABLE expectations when it comes to these pieces of electronics.

Also, I always laugh when an entire huge company is condemned based on the actions of one or two low level employees. Every time I call any customer service line, it's a gambol. Sometimes I get great help, other times I can tell the person doesn't give a lump of coal about my problems. Yes, they should all be better, but just because this one fella had one bad experience... not enough to make a deal out of.
                        So your expectations of customer service are low and you accept that. Good for you. The rest of us will continue to speak with our wallets. Crappy customer service should not be the accepted norm. Hello, look where we are right now? A Disney fan site... a company that distinguishes itself with customer care.

I can tell you that getting items repaired with Nintendo (I've had 2 DS's serviced, and a buddy a Wii) and their service is stellar for this type of stuff. Their customer service policies put the customer FIRST.

So it boils back to again its how Sony is interacting with customers (not dust vs whatever). If they want to invalidate his warranty based on abuse, why can't they quantify it or refuse to show how the damage was caused by the neglect?

The cause of the fault isn't what's significant - its how the company handles the customers that is.

Another example (in your car world) where the company totally screwed up - BMW with the E46 M3. The motor was too sensative to oil temperature and lead to many premature failures when put under high stress. Instead of addressing the problem, BMW continued to blame the customers (neglect) and would not warrenty the motors. It wasn't until much later that BMW finally acknowledged the fraility of the motor in this regard and later added more safeguards to how the engine operates until proper temperatures are achieved.

No sympathy for people who don't take care of their purchases. Yes, my PS3 gets dust on the vents, I clean it off at least once a week.
                        And that helps how? The dust on the vents is the dust that DIDN'T go in.. the rest already did. But since you can't service or clean the interior of your PS3.. the 'damage' is already done. Wiping just prevents excess from collecting on the outside and getting sucked in later. It doesn't reduce the amount of dust that would have been sucked in already.

Now, the 360's Ring of Death problem, or the Wii's weak wrist strap... those are different matters all together. (that they both took care of after the fact).
                        And again Nintendo leads the pack in terms of demonstrating excellent customer service to address the issue. The Wii strap you could say was 'abuse' yet Nintendo redesigned the strap and offered replacements for EVERYONE for free. They've done it again with the silicon glove for the remote as well. Microsoft dragged their feet, but finally made right as well.

Am I evil? yes, I am

Comment

Originally posted by justjohn View Post

Microsoft also has a large pile of cash that enables them do to things like this. Sony's game department is losing money hand over fist which is why you'll probably never see something like that from them.
                          Class of 2005...

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X