This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Action Research Project

Hey everyone! As some of you may know, I'm currently in the IB (International Baccelaureate) program, which is kind of like a gifted program, and it is ranked above AP. The original purpose of IB was to provide the same type of schooling all around the world for the families of soldiers during the war. For example, I'm taking the same courses as a soldier's American daughter in Germany might be.

So, in IB, there is a required class called Inquiry Skills. The class's purpose is kind of difficult to explain, but mostly it just teaches you the right ways to study, research, prepare, organize, etc. The biggest project in Inquiry Skills, however, is a little broader than just learning how to research and study in school. At the end of the semester, we have to have completed an Action Research Project, which is where you go out into the community and do something to help solve a current issue. This can range from beach clean-ups to mentoring children. We have to first research the topic, and then go out and take action. In the end, we must turn in a 7-10 page report on our topic, including the actual research and a detailed account of the actions taken.

For my Action Research Project, I got together in a group with my two friends, and we brainstormed ideas. My top idea was to raise money for a leukemia foundation, because my grandma died of leukemia when I was only 8 years old. I wanted to learn more about leukemia, and I also wanted to raise money to help find a cure. Both of my friends were for it, so we started to research.

As of now, we have the research half of our papers done. We each have a 3 1/2-page rough draft explaining leukemia - what causes it, how it works, how it's classified, and treatments. Next was the hard part: to find out how to raise money for the cause.

We decided on a bake sale. One of my friend's dad is the manager at a Super Wal-Mart, so we contacted him and got a date secured to put up a table outside the store for a day. Now we had to decide the date. What better weekend is there to sit outside a huge, successful department store and sell baked goods for a good cause than the weekend of Black Friday? So, we decided to set up this Sunday.

My mom had alot of good ideas to help us be as successful as possible. She suggested that if we were supported by a professional society, we might attract more people since they have the secure knowledge of where the money is actually going (And yes, all of the money is going towards the cause. We are not making a profit from this.). So, after putting this into consideration, we contacted the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society (LLS) yesterday. They were more than happy to support us. The woman that we talked to was so enthusiastic about it, she decided to send us what we would need to set up a respectable-looking stand. She Fed-Exed a box overnight, and I just got it a few hours ago. The box contained 3 plastic banners, a pack of business cards for customers to have, a donations box with their information on it, 3 red bracelets (much like the Livestrong bracelets, but they say 'Relentless' on them, and have a website on the inside. They're for me and my 2 friends to wear.), and a pack of those papers you can fill out after donating money to a cause that will say something like 'I helped __________!" with a place to sign under it, for us to put up on the table. I considered this extremely generous, and everything they've given us should help tremendously.

So, after thinking about this, I decided to make our project and the society known. This may be to inform some of you about the dangers of cancer, and how big of a problem leukemia is becoming, or, my original intention: to inspire you to help your community, because there's really no feeling that can compare with what great, complete feeling this project is giving me.

I'll keep you guys updated on what's going to happen. If you read through all of this, I really appreciate it. :csmile:

-Becca
    Last edited by dance_is_life; 11-21-2007, 09:35 AM.

Re: Action Research Project

That's so cool that you are doing this. It's for a great cause and not something you see every day. Good luck with the sale!

Comment

Thanks fool! )

Comment

Cool!! Good Luck! )

-Sword99
        VMK was a good memory, won't be forgotten. But just because a games gone does not mean I am

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

Wonderful ideas!! Great cause to support as well. I wish you the best of luck with your bake sale!!
            :ap: AP Holder. :ap:
            Stay at home mom of 4 - Austin, Tyler, Sierra and Ashlyn.

Comment

Originally posted by dance_is_life View Post
              Thanks fool! )
              No, thank you, fool.

Comment

Don't Forget To Mail Me some Of your Bakery Items
                VMK was a good memory, won't be forgotten. But just because a games gone does not mean I am

Comment

Originally posted by SweetPeaRules View Post
                  Wonderful ideas!! Great cause to support as well. I wish you the best of luck with your bake sale!!
                  Thanks Jen! :csmile:

Originally posted by ineedafriend View Post
                  No, thank you, fool.
                  Aww... :love:

Originally posted by 4455356 View Post
                  Don't Forget To Mail Me some Of your Bakery Items
                  Keep dreaming. :ctongue:

Comment

Will do! )

Comment

Oh becca! How awesome! Which walmart is this at? If you were all at a walmart a little bit further south, I'd come make a donation! Can I send a donation in your name another way? Like via paypal or something? PM me or whatever you need to do

Comment

OMG BLUE! thats such an awesome thing to do! i hope you guys have fun and raise alot of money to go toward a cure!!!

~Blackbelts<3

Advatar made by SlitSilver!!!

Comment

Originally posted by cyre View Post
                          Oh becca! How awesome! Which walmart is this at? If you were all at a walmart a little bit further south, I'd come make a donation! Can I send a donation in your name another way? Like via paypal or something? PM me or whatever you need to do
                          Aww thank you Laura! But what would really help is just donating to the LLS in general, that's all we're doing in the end. Thank you for the support :csmile:

Originally posted by _blackbeltsrule123 View Post
                          OMG BLUE! thats such an awesome thing to do! i hope you guys have fun and raise alot of money to go toward a cure!!!

~Blackbelts<3
                          My name isn't blue... :lol:

Thank you! :csmile:

Comment

Update: Almost all of the cookies have been made. I just spent the last 4 hours making:

-Ritz crackers & peanut butter dipped in chocolate
                            -Chocolate chip cookies
                            -Snowman-shaped sugar cookies

Later on when we get more supplies we're making pretzels dipped in chocolate. My other friend is making brownies and cupcakes. It should be pretty fun! :csmile:

Comment

That's awesome dance! The class you're taking sounds really great too.

Best of luck with your bake sale - you're truly making a difference.
                              sigpic

Comment

Wow! That sounds pretty cool!
                                When life throws you lemons, eat them I mean what else do you do with lemons? Well I guess you could make lemonade but what if you don't have the necessary materials. Yeah... you should just eat the lemons. Unless your anti-lemonistic then don't. Is that even a word. I think it is. Maybe it's not. Ok google give me your best shot. Ok that is not a word. Its okay. Now back to anti-lemonistic, nope thats not a word either. I am hungry. I want a lemon. By the way if you are still reading this, take a look at yourself and say "Is this message worth it" because I don't think it is. I mean your should just stop reading right now. Now. Now I say! Fine want to play like that then let's do this over again. When life throws you lemons, eat them I mean what else do you do with lemons? Well I guess you could make lemonade but what if you don't have the necessary materials. Yeah... you should just eat the lemons. Unless your anti-lemonistic............... ok your not worth it am stopping right now. Now.

The End
                                ??????????
                                Yeah the end. You heard me.
                                What your still reading! Get out of my head!!! Please. Ok you know I try to make this as clear as possible. I don't like to type this long. But you keep reading so I guess I have to. Yes 343 words have been typed in this signature take that humanity! Now it is 356. Or maybe it is only 2?? I don't know but oh well.

Comment

Originally posted by blumacara View Post
                                  That's awesome dance! The class you're taking sounds really great too.

Best of luck with your bake sale - you're truly making a difference.
                                  Ehh... I could take or leave the class. :lol: Thanks!

Originally posted by I_Know View Post
                                  Wow! That sounds pretty cool!
                                  It sure is! :cgrin:

Comment

Omg, be sure to post how much money you raise in the end.!!

|siggie:me|not very active on this site:sorry|
                                    ~ KelseaNicole ~

Comment

Sure will!

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                      Working...
                                      X