Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PS3's are EVERYWHERE

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • PS3's are EVERYWHERE

    Went and did some holiday shopping this morning (Best Buy, Circuit City and Target) and each store had a plethora of PS3's.

    From what I have seen, most were the new $399 version with no backwards compatability for the PS2. Yet of course there were no Wii's and most everybody was looking at the 360's.

    Also, the Rock-Band for the 360's were all gone, but the PS3 versions had TONS left.

    I know for me personally, I would NEVER buy a PS3 with no backwards compatability.

    I find it funny, that this version of the PS3 is still the least expensive Blu-Ray player, but I don't think non-gamers are looking at it that way.


  • #2
    Re: PS3's are EVERYWHERE

    The lack of backward capacity may make the PS3 an unpopular albatross to the retail industry - and represent some major profit loss. The manufacturers made a bad call in the design.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: PS3's are EVERYWHERE

      People expect to buy something with a "PlayStation" name to play games on it.

      Way to build up a brand name that's recognizable and then ruin it by trying to make it stand for something else.
      Burnt Toast
      The Magic Begins With Me...! 8:P

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: PS3's are EVERYWHERE

        Originally posted by sir clinksalot View Post
        I know for me personally, I would NEVER buy a PS3 with no backwards compatability.
        I probably would not have bought mine if it didn't have backwards compatibility. However, I never owned a Ps2 to begin with, and if I had a Ps2 already I may have bought a Ps3 because I have an HDTV and wanted a Hi-Def media player.

        Sales of the Ps3 have doubled since the price drop (and even with no backwards compatibility), Xbox360s are everywhere just the same as the Ps3, and the Wii is being kept artificially scarce by Nintendo (and some sneaky retailers). (I'd really rather not support Microsoft, either, lol)

        It will be interesting to see what happens this holiday season, won't it?
        I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)
        sigpic



        Founding Member of the BA!

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: PS3's are EVERYWHERE

          ^ I have a PS2, but the point of a PS3 would be (for me) as an upgraded 'replacement' to the PS2. I've already got all my A/V jacks taken, why do I need to waste two on 2 playstations?

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: PS3's are EVERYWHERE

            Originally posted by sir clinksalot View Post
            ^ I have a PS2, but the point of a PS3 would be (for me) as an upgraded 'replacement' to the PS2. I've already got all my A/V jacks taken, why do I need to waste two on 2 playstations?
            You don't... and I wouldn't right now anyway until I had a HDTV, or there are more games you want on the Ps3
            I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)
            sigpic



            Founding Member of the BA!

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: PS3's are EVERYWHERE

              Originally posted by Ride Warrior View Post
              The lack of backward capacity may make the PS3 an unpopular albatross to the retail industry - and represent some major profit loss. The manufacturers made a bad call in the design.
              Ya because you know how great the 360 is with that. Not everybody can connect to the net to download the patches (if the xbox game even HAS a patch that is). When I sell these things I ask people if they have any PS2 games and a good amount of them do not or do not plan on playing the PS2 games anylonger so its not that big of an issue as you may want it to be. You may call it a bad call, but these things are flying out the door like crazy.... looks like a GREAT call to me (but what do I know, I only work in an electronics store).

              And for Sir Clink... where do you live because all around here EVERY store I have checksed ran out of PS3 RB and still have plenty of 360 RB sitting there. I know in my store we still had over 50 of the 360 RB.

              And we also have a pletora of Halo edition 360s (that nobody wants), arcade 360s, and premium 360s. The only thing we do not have is the black 360s for some reason we have not got a restock for well over a month. Heck, the Halo edition 360s are moving so slow we stocked them WAY up above the registers so you can see them no matter were you are in the store in hopes people would see them and actually BUY them lol (not working BTW).

              But i htink you saw them all over the place because they were in all the maor stores holiday ad and it is a new SKU and Sony can actually stock the stores with systems (unlike Nintendo and Microsoft on the 360 launch).

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: PS3's are EVERYWHERE

                Originally posted by SoCalDude View Post
                And we also have a pletora of Halo edition 360s (that nobody wants), arcade 360s, and premium 360s. The only thing we do not have is the black 360s for some reason we have not got a restock for well over a month. Heck, the Halo edition 360s are moving so slow we stocked them WAY up above the registers so you can see them no matter were you are in the store in hopes people would see them and actually BUY them lol (not working BTW).
                It seems like the only thing people want less than the 360 is the PS3, though...

                Novembers NPD hardware numbers

                Nintendo DS - 1.53 million
                Nintendo Wii - 981,000
                Xbox 360 - 770,000
                PlayStation Portable - 567,000
                PlayStation 2 - 496,000
                PlayStation 3 - 466,000

                http://kotaku.com/gaming/npd/novembe...-ds-333812.php

                Actually, if you add them up, The DS outsold all of Sony combined by 1000 units...
                Be controversial

                Be outspoken

                Be outrageous

                Just don't be boring

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: PS3's are EVERYWHERE

                  Again, I still can't see how selling 500,000 of an older system (PS2) can POSSIBLY help Sony in the long-run.

                  It's going to keep the demand for games released on the PS3 to also be released on the PS2.

                  If Sony TRULY wants everybody to believe that the PS3 is the wave of the future, they need to stop supporting the PS2. You don't see Microsoft and Nintendo repackaging the Xbox and GameCube and selling newer games on them.

                  That's my main thing with the PS3. I'm not getting the vibe from Sony that THEY are sold on it.

                  Granted, some newer 3rd party games are still available on the GC, but that's few and far between.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: PS3's are EVERYWHERE

                    Originally posted by SoCalDude View Post
                    Not everybody can connect to the net to download the patches (if the xbox game even HAS a patch that is).
                    However, one major credit towards the Xbox 1.0, is that it never had much of a presence in the marketplace. So that rare Xbox game you've got laying around may work. Oh, and over half the origional Xbox games now work on the 360. And they are STILL doing updates to make more classic games work.

                    Unlike the PS2, where they are STILL making games for it. In fact, I bought a couple of new PS2 games this year (Buzz!, and Thrillville). I would have bought a PS3 for Buzz!, but I didn't have to. I still want an excuse to buy one, and I have yet to find one. FYI: Scene It! was my excuse to buy a 360, and the fact that it's a Media Center Extender.

                    Yes, there are lots of 360 SKUs. However, you can always 'upgrade' a lower SKU to a better one. However, this is not the case with the PS3. Yes, you can upgrade the hard drive. However, that's it. Can't add back in BC to the 40GB, nor the card reader.

                    Add the Wii beast in (one SKU that comes with a good time-wasting game), and has a unique angle to it.

                    I just don't see what a PS3 can bring me with my PS2-Wii-360 combination. Yes, Blu-Ray is an option. However, I never watch that many movies as it is (maybe 1 a week), so DVD is fine for me for now.
                    -Monorail Man

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: PS3's are EVERYWHERE

                      Originally posted by sir clinksalot View Post
                      If Sony TRULY wants everybody to believe that the PS3 is the wave of the future, they need to stop supporting the PS2. You don't see Microsoft and Nintendo repackaging the Xbox and GameCube and selling newer games on them.
                      This is why I continue to support Sony, they don't play the "planned obsolescence game" like the other chumps do. Screw MS and Ninetendo!
                      I will boycott every friggin' Sony product if they cave in to the status quo of gaming! VHS ran it's course, but how would you feel if tomorro they stopped releasing dvd's on anything but BluRay and HDDVD. I'd be pissed off. Let's not forget the customer who feed them.

                      Sony is the only one with the class and the customer care to continue to support recent past products. I take my hat off to them!!


                      "We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

                      -Walt Disney

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: PS3's are EVERYWHERE

                        Originally posted by Sorcerer's Apprentice View Post
                        Sony is the only one with the class and the customer care to continue to support recent past products. I take my hat off to them!!
                        However, one thing you are forgetting, is that the GC and Xbox 1 didn't have the marketshare like the PS2 did. So, it didn't hurt MS/Nin to drop them. However, all Sony needs to do, is show us WHY to buy a PS3.

                        I've been waiting for the Killer Casual/Party Game that makes me want to buy a PS3. For the Wii, it was Wii Sports, and for the 360, it was the Arcade, and Scene It!. It could have been Buzz!, but all Sony did was port over the game from the UK, and remove the UK questions (not knocking it, still love Buzz!). If a version of Buzz! comes out for the PS3, then I'm sold.
                        -Monorail Man

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: PS3's are EVERYWHERE

                          They bare everywhere because they are failures, and none are being bought, because they suck.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: PS3's are EVERYWHERE

                            Originally posted by Inanimate View Post
                            They bare everywhere because they are failures, and none are being bought, because they suck.
                            You're sort of wrong on all counts there, but whatever.
                            I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)
                            sigpic



                            Founding Member of the BA!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: PS3's are EVERYWHERE

                              Originally posted by Monorail Man View Post
                              However, all Sony needs to do, is show us WHY to buy a PS3.
                              Exactly.

                              The ONLY thing the PS3 has to offer over the PS2 right now is Blu-Ray and a couple of games. THAT'S IT!!

                              So if your not in the market for a Blu-Ray DVD player right now (most people) and you have a PS2 (most people who would want a PS3) then the PS3 does you absolutely no good until some good PS3 exclusive games come out.

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Re: PS3's are EVERYWHERE

                                Or they make PS3 backwards compatable.
                                There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
                                -Dr. Strange

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Re: PS3's are EVERYWHERE

                                  Originally posted by sir clinksalot View Post
                                  So if your not in the market for a Blu-Ray DVD player right now (most people) and you have a PS2 (most people who would want a PS3) then the PS3 does you absolutely no good until some good PS3 exclusive games come out.
                                  Well, there are Ps3 (exclusive) games coming, and there's a lot of the multiplatform games out there. It's not like gamers play ONLY exclusive games. Frankly, I'm not a fan of the wierd reversed control stick on the Xbox360 or its clunky operating system, so if I was going to pick a platform to play multiplatform games on that'd be a factor.

                                  I still think the backwards compatibility takeout was a major misstep by Sony though -- the Ps3 does upscaling/smoothing of Ps2 games, which makes Ps2 games look better on the Ps3 than they ever did on the Ps2 system (especially on an HDTV).
                                  I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)
                                  sigpic



                                  Founding Member of the BA!

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Re: PS3's are EVERYWHERE

                                    Originally posted by sir clinksalot View Post
                                    So if your not in the market for a Blu-Ray DVD player right now (most people) and you have a PS2 (most people who would want a PS3) then the PS3 does you absolutely no good until some good PS3 exclusive games come out.
                                    That's the only reason why I want a PS3. I want Blu-Ray!
                                    http://twitter.com/DisneyBrat
                                    www.foursquare.com/user/disneybrat
                                    http://www.facebook.com/Melissa.M.Solorzano

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Re: PS3's are EVERYWHERE

                                      Originally posted by Monorail Man View Post
                                      However, one thing you are forgetting, is that the GC and Xbox 1 didn't have the marketshare like the PS2 did. So, it didn't hurt MS/Nin to drop them. However, all Sony needs to do, is show us WHY to buy a PS3.

                                      I've been waiting for the Killer Casual/Party Game that makes me want to buy a PS3. For the Wii, it was Wii Sports, and for the 360, it was the Arcade, and Scene It!. It could have been Buzz!, but all Sony did was port over the game from the UK, and remove the UK questions (not knocking it, still love Buzz!). If a version of Buzz! comes out for the PS3, then I'm sold.
                                      I should correct myself as well, PS2 had backwards capability. PS3 does not. I don't know why either, but I surmise it's a logistical/technical impossiblity with regards to offering it at a competive price point, I may be wrong.

                                      But you are correct.

                                      Originally posted by sir clinksalot View Post
                                      Exactly.

                                      The ONLY thing the PS3 has to offer over the PS2 right now is Blu-Ray and a couple of games. THAT'S IT!!

                                      So if your not in the market for a Blu-Ray DVD player right now (most people) and you have a PS2 (most people who would want a PS3) then the PS3 does you absolutely no good until some good PS3 exclusive games come out.
                                      This be true.

                                      Originally posted by Wren View Post
                                      Or they make PS3 backwards compatable.
                                      This would be a HUGE, HUGE market advantage. I'm not throwing out games.
                                      I'll hold out, and out and out!!


                                      "We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

                                      -Walt Disney

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Re: PS3's are EVERYWHERE

                                        Originally posted by Sorcerer's Apprentice View Post
                                        This would be a HUGE, HUGE market advantage. I'm not throwing out games.
                                        I'll hold out, and out and out!!
                                        Wait, if you already own a Ps2, and you buy a Ps3, why would you throw out games?
                                        I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)
                                        sigpic



                                        Founding Member of the BA!

                                        Comment

                                        Get Away Today Footer

                                        Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X