• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • justjohn
    Mr. Faranheit
    • Jul 2006

11 Million units by March 08

TOKYO (AFP) - Worldwide sales of Sony Corp.'s PlayStation 3 are expected to reach 11 million by the end of this fiscal year, a senior executive said in an interview published Saturday.Sony Computer Entertainment's chief executive Kazuo Hirai told the Yomiuri Shimbun newspaper he was confident of fulfilling that goal despite stiff competition from Nintendo's Wii and Microsoft's XBoX 360.
    The PlayStation3 "is starting afresh as a console to play games with. Although pricing strategy is important, now we would like to put our strength in the number of software games," he said.
    Sony cut the price of the PS3 by 10 percent in Japan to 39,980 yen (356 dollars) and launched a new slimmed-down version, ratcheting up the competition with its rivals ahead of the crucial year-end sales period.
    A recent report said the PS3 video games console had outsold Nintendo's Wii in Japan in November.
    The company has also announced that PS3 sales in North America more than tripled in the crucial Thanksgiving holiday week after a 100-dollar price cut.
    Hirai told the Yomiuri he would like to see Sony's game division "escape as soon as possible from the red and return to the black in fiscal year 2008."
    Thats shooting pretty high! They outsell the Wii one month and get a serious set of nads to declare this.
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring
  • sir clinksalot
    MiceChatter
    • Feb 2005

Re: 11 Million units by March 08

I agree John, highly optimistic.

I mean, despte the fact you still can't find the things, the Wii has outsold the PS3. And the reason why the PS3 had higher last month was the lower priced versions.

Will be interesting what the December numbers look like once the saturation wears off.

Comment

• justjohn
      Mr. Faranheit
      • Jul 2006

Like I said, in another thread, these spikes have all come right after a price drop. I seriously doubt that they have many more price drops in them to keep boosting sales. As of right now, there game selection is pretty slim for them to think they can make it on that angle either.
      Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

Comment

• sir clinksalot
        MiceChatter
        • Feb 2005

^ Yep, it's just like the HD-DVD.

All of their increases came at the result of a price-reduction. But when saturation hit, Blu-Ray kept coming out on top.

Same thing here.

Comment

• SoCal
          MiceChatter
          • Jan 2005

PS3 Holiday Sales Total 1.2 Million

Mon Jan 07, 2008 at 02:30 PM ET

Increasing Blu-ray's North American installed base by nearly 25% in one fell swoop, Sony is reporting stronger-than-ever holiday sales numbers for its PlayStation 3 game console.
          According to a company press release, Sony sold through 1.2 million units of the PS3 in the period beginning Friday, November 23, 2007 and ending December 31, 2007.
          "The PlayStation brand ended the year in a very strong position and clearly indicates more positive momentum going into 2008. We are particularly pleased to have sold through 1.2 million units of PS3 during the holiday selling season," said Jack Tretton, president and CEO, SCEA. "The strong PS3 sales also further establish Blu-ray's dominant position as the high-definition medium of choice for games and movies.
          PR here:

getting close.....

Comment

• justjohn
            Mr. Faranheit
            • Jul 2006

Yep, all they have to do is match the sales of the single biggest shopping month of the year for the next two months and they're there!
            Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

Comment

• Chernabog
              Earth Intruder
              • Jan 2005

I think the Warner Blu-ray announcement will significantly help Ps3s sales.

The game titles are (slowly) getting there. I *finally* rented Heavenly Sword for the Ps3 and it was freaking AMAZING, lookswise, gameplay, and storywise. (The game is too short though, but worth a weekend rental). I guess I should have expected that from Andy Serkis and WETA Workship, but ... I didn't and I really was blown away.
              I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)
              sigpic

Founding Member of the BA!

Comment

• justjohn
                Mr. Faranheit
                • Jul 2006

I just finished playing COD4 and you want to talk about a short game, I would have been pissed if I hadn't paid $30 for it.
                Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

Comment

• Chernabog
                  Earth Intruder
                  • Jan 2005

Originally posted by justjohn View Post
                  I just finished playing COD4 and you want to talk about a short game, I would have been pissed if I hadn't paid $30 for it.
                  LOL I'll have to rent that one too. I want to get Rachet and Clank also (rental).

Heavenly Sword was beat by me in about 7ish hours. It was a REALLY fun game, and one I won't forget about any time soon. The characters are.....just incredible and fun. But once you're done, there aren't really any compelling reasons to go back. $60 for a 7 hour game I cannot justify! (But an $8 Blockbuster rental is totally worth it)
                  I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)
                  sigpic

Founding Member of the BA!

Comment

• justjohn
                    Mr. Faranheit
                    • Jul 2006

I was REALLY dissapointed in this last Rachet and Clank. The game looked good, but the gameplay is starting to get old to me. the weapons as always are a high point, and even those were kind of boring this time.

I would definitely recommend it as a rental though. Remember that you get a weeks grace period after the rental is over and 3 more weeks before they charge your card. Even then, they will credit it back to you minus something like a $1.25.
                    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

Comment

• SoCal
                      MiceChatter
                      • Jan 2005

Originally posted by justjohn View Post
                      Yep, all they have to do is match the sales of the single biggest shopping month of the year for the next two months and they're there!
                      How up to date is your sig? PS3 has been in the 8 range for some time now according to your sig.

Comment

• justjohn
                        Mr. Faranheit
                        • Jul 2006

It takes VGChartz a while to update the code. According to their site, its 8.83 and I figured it out at the new numbers. They need to match Decembers numbers for January and February to get there.
                        Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

Comment

• Bonnet
                          New MiceChatter
                          • Dec 2007

That is shooting really high for the PS3, but there's one huge factor that 08 is going to be the PS3's biggest year as of yet, a lot of anticipated titles are to be released on the PS3.

And the only reason they're trying to compete with the Wii is because the Wii is what everyone's getting. Whether people think it's a gimmick or not, but during the holiday season since it IS a family oriented system it's bound to sell a lot for the kiddies.
                          Walt Disney World Tickets

Comment

• Inanimate
                            BATTLE COMBINER!
                            • Nov 2007

Well, I give luck to the PS3.

It frankly is a good system, a pricy one, but still good.

Comment

• justjohn
                              Mr. Faranheit
                              • Jul 2006

Obviously not close enough, they came to their senses and lowered their sales goal.

Sony cuts 07/08 PlayStation 3 sales target to 9.5 mln

Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:16am GMT
                              Email |Print | Reprints

TOKYO, Jan 31 (Reuters) - Japan's Sony Corp on Thursday said it had cut its PlayStation 3 sales target for the year to March to 9.5 million units from 11 million. Sony saw a slow start to the videogame consoles' sales after its launch in late 2006 due to its high price and scarcity of strong software titles.
                              Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

Comment

• Demigod
                                Gumball Rally Volunteer!
                                MiceChat Round-Up Crew
                                • Jan 2005

I'll still not get one, tho. Too pricey for my blood.

I MIGHT get a 360, not too sure, tho. Hard for me to shell out the money for something I'd only use occasionally. I game most on my PC.
                                sigpic

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X