X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medical Study: "Active" Games are a croc

Originally posted by Joystiq.com
    A British Medical Journal study finds UK gamers playing Wii only used 2% more energy than gamers of other consoles. Obviously the UK study needed the US version of WiiFit with Jackie Warner, she'll push them from 2% to 200% -- no crying. The BBC reports on the most "captain obvious" qualities of the report like "time spent in front of television and computer screens has been linked to physical inactivity and obesity." We'd like to point out that so has reading and eating.
    http://www.joystiq.com/2007/12/21/br...lace-exercise/

Originally posted by BBCnews
    Playing Wii Sports games increased energy expenditure by 60kcal (250 kJ) per hour compared with playing the other console.

But in real life terms, this would in no way be enough to suggest active computer game playing could be a substitute for doing real sport, say the authors.

"These increases were of insufficient intensity to contribute towards recommendations for children's daily exercise."
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7155342.stm

Wah Wah Waaaaaah.

Re: Medical Study: "Active" Games are a croc

Yep, that's pretty darn obvious. Most people play the Wii sitting, and sometimes I even play it laying down. I definately was counting that as unwinding time, not exercise time.

Comment

Still, I've seen research and articles about DDR. It's the one game that might be the exception to this still. I never even thought about the Wii in the terms of physical activity however. Whenever hearing about video games and physical activity, I always heard DDR only.
      It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Comment

Not surprised the by the study at all. Only certain games get you to exert more energy than others.

But DDR has to be the notable exception. I lost 20 lbs playing that thing a few years back. Of course I've since gained it back ... but that's another topic altogether.

Comment

Originally posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
          Still, I've seen research and articles about DDR. It's the one game that might be the exception to this still. I never even thought about the Wii in the terms of physical activity however. Whenever hearing about video games and physical activity, I always heard DDR only.
          Come on. DDR is clearly more involved than swing your arms around playing mini-games.

Even then though, DDR is no match for real cardio workouts though.

Comment

playing DDR sure would be if you played it for an hour straight the home editions are still pretty low key unless you got the full arcade dancing platforms you can actually get for home use

Comment

Two things we learn from this report: 1) Parents should tie a leash around their kid and stick 'em on a treadmill if they are too afraid to let them outside. 2) All the BBC reporters have left for holiday already and the interns have taken over the news division.
              LOL!!

Seriously, try playing Wii Boxing sitting down. You dont get the same effect. I've played the single player version of Wii Sports Boxing when i've needed to blow off some steam and it totally kicks my a** in the cardio dept. Especially in the later levels when the friggin CPU blocks EVERY PUNCH you throw at them and it takes more effort to knock them out for good.
              Out of the NIGHT....
              When the full moon is BRIGHT!!
              Comes a horseman known as ZORRO!!!
              ---------------------------------------

Comment

They obviously didn't play the sports pack "Boxing" game...whew, what a workout.

Comment

The media is spinning this study so bad.

The study makes the claims that playing Wii is not as intense as actually going out and DOING the same activity. Well DUH.

But the media is taking this and making it into 'wii doesn't do anything beyond normal video games'. That is NOT what the claims are. They actually say Wii does burn more calories then a 'traditional' video game, but is not as much as actually going outside and doing a sport.

Comment

Originally posted by Soulquarian View Post
                    Come on. DDR is clearly more involved than swing your arms around playing mini-games.

Even then though, DDR is no match for real cardio workouts though.

Are you serious? Have you played DDR? I mean ... REALLY played DDR?

I used to play for 45 minutes everyday and would get an awesome work-out.

It's just like going to step or something at the gym. It's total cardio.

And you don't need the arcade pads to get the workout. Although you need to re-adjust your pads every song ... or tape them to your carpet.

Comment

I guess its whichever way you want to look at it. I'm seeing stories like below more and more often. I definitely wouldn't put the health benefit of a Wii so short.

EDMONTON - Punches in the boxing ring likely contributed to Albert Liaw's spontaneous stroke and brain injury that left him in a wheelchair with little movement in his left arm and slowed speech.
                      Now, virtual boxing with Nintendo's popular Wii video game is helping him regain his left hook, right jab and nimble feet.

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...075928&k=63173

Thanks to Dr. Janet Coyle, a hospitalist at Riley Hospital's Tom C. Maynor Rehabilitation Center, the Nintendo Wii has been incorporated into the center's rehabilitation program for patients who have suffered strokes.

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/9872.cfm

RALEIGHJunior may not be laughing, though, when Gramps returns from the hospital empowered by the device that nursed him back to health: the Nintendo Wii.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/gaming/...-therapy_N.htm

We all know that Nintendo has done great things with the Wii in reaching out to different demographics than your average gamer. Now hospitals have started using the system to make rehabilitation sessions more enjoyable.
                      54 year-old Barry Brewer, who recently underwent hip replacement surgery at Mercy Fairfield Hospital in Cincinnati, has been playing Wii Sports to work on his balance and flexibility.
                      http://www.ripten.com/2007/12/25/nin...ospital-rehab/
                      Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

Comment

Another example of the benefits of the Wii

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/mai.../sciwii116.xml

The researchers asked eight surgical residents to play games on a Wii for an hour before their performed virtual surgery using a training tool called ProMIS, which simulates a patient's body in 3D and tracks the surgeon's movements as they operate.
                        Those who warmed up using the console scored 48 per cent better for tool control and performance than those who did not.
                        Certain games, such as Marble Mania, in which players guide a marble through a 3D obstacle course, were found to be particularly good because they involved small, precise movements of the controller.
                        Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

Comment

Originally posted by justjohn View Post
                          Another example of the benefits of the Wii

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/mai.../sciwii116.xml
                          I don't think that's a benefit of the Wii specifically.

Originally posted by BBC
                          Only certain games are effective - those requiring delicate movements.
                          I bet the same effect could be had from a game of operation, or that old school wood and marble labryinthe game.

Comment

Originally posted by Soulquarian View Post
                            I bet the same effect could be had from a game of operation, or that old school wood and marble labryinthe game.
                            Except neither work on a system with no physical feedback or require you to look at a television/monitor to do the task rather then looking at your hands or the interaction point.

So no - they are not a like and the training is different.

There is a big difference when it comes to learning interaction through abstraction compared to just fine motor skills. Which is why training through VR systems is so difficult and requires lots of practice.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X