X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sgt. Tibs
    started a topic [Chat] Galavant

Galavant

What did everyone think of the first 2 episodes?

I think it took a while to get going and the 2nd episode was definitely better but on the whole I thought it was really funny and the songs/lyrics were hilarious.

I bet Alan Menken would've loved to have been able to write this with Howard Ashman! You could tell with his Mermaid/Beast lyrics that he would've loved to go a bit 'adult' with Disney-type material.

• DubiousEndeavors
    replied
    Re: Galavant

Waiting for this and Agent Carter to come out on DVD. Loved it

Leave a comment:

• Professortango
    replied

Originally posted by bfdf55 View Post
    Thought it was going to have potential, but it lost it during the first number. It's a Monty Python & the Holy Grail wannabe, but just fails to pull it off.
    I don't see much Monty Python style humor in this at all, unless you're just comparing them because they are comedic stories set in time periods with castles.

Python was about the broadness, the complete absurdity. It wasn't about the plot or characters which is why nobody minded that the film didn't have an ending. The characters were just a foil to play across from whatever absurd sketch they wandered into.

Galavant was much more character based, playing more on irreverence to the fairy tale musical style. It reminded me of The Court Jester with Danny Kaye, Mel Brooks, and I can see some Black Adder in there as well. But, its basically just the same post-modern fairy tale style that we've seen in Shrek and even Book of Mormon.

I loved it, but was glad it was a short season as I think it would have overstayed its welcome.

Leave a comment:

• JanitorofSHIELD
    replied

Well, the finale has come and gone. Thoughts?

Timothy Odmundson responded to one of my tweets about the lullaby.

ABC HAS to renew this.

Leave a comment:

• ni_teach
    replied

I think that it should have been cut down to two hours.

Leave a comment:

• sediment
    replied

I like that it's only eight episodes. If it were a whole series I would have not started to watch it. (Thanks, Once Upon a Time.)

Not sure how many more twists it will have.
    I like the irreverence of the lyrics and the sight gags ("Winterfell" sign at the fork in the road).

Leave a comment:

• Aladdin
    replied

It reminded me of Robin Hood - men in tights - with a little Black Adder and When Things Were Rotten thrown in . (anyone else remember When things were rotten? )

And it's great to see Alan doing a more with adult lyrics. We knew he could do humor (most recently well done with Enchanted) He's done a great job with both lyrics and music in Galavant, so far!

Leave a comment:

• bfdf55
    replied

Thought it was going to have potential, but it lost it during the first number. It's a Monty Python & the Holy Grail wannabe, but just fails to pull it off.

Leave a comment:

• JanitorofSHIELD
    replied

The joust was probably the entire highlight of the night. I expected it, since the joust was in a couple of ads, but the explanation as to why the joust was so pathetic and anticlimactic was perhaps my favorite gag of the night.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X