Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This was an ok episode. It always kind of amazes me that chefs keep telling Gordon that he has no idea about anything about cooking. Ummm, hello? It also surprises me how many of these places lack any kind of major signage to tell people they're there. Next week's episode should be interesting. A restaurant in Pomona? OK...

Comment

The episode was pretty much what the previews had promised from the week before. As the owner was talking about how she took all her money and opened this restaurant, and she couldn't figure out what was wrong, I was screaming at the TV that what was wrong was that she was opening a fine dining restaurant in POMONA. Are you kidding me? Did she just pick some random city to open the restaurant in without thinking about what city she'd picked? She can't have been from anywhere around there to think, hey, I know what Pomona needs - a fine dining restaurant!

And she was completely abdicating any responsibility for the place. I've found that interesting in a few of these cases. OK, so you're the owner - shouldn't you know what's going on in your restaurant? Shouldn't you be the one in charge? And if you don't have the guts to be in charge, why did you decide to be the boss?

I thought the test of the chef and sous chef was interesting of whether they could identify cuts of meat while they were blindfolded. I honestly can't imagine how you could mix up beef and chicken - they have completely different texture and taste, even if you cook the beef all the way through. If you've got beef that is the texture of chicken, you've got a problem, and vice versa. I probably don't have pork often enough to know whether or not you should be able to tell the difference.

And I know there are differences in fine dining but powdered mashed potatoes? And frozen everything? And what's the point of having things on the menu that you never actually have available? How can you not see that would be a problem? And again, why didn't the owner know that, and if she did, why did she allow it to continue?

When Gordon was working on the new menu with them and told them to come up with something, I cracked up when he mentioned the Pomona Salad, and how it should evoke and represent Pomona. Ummm, ewwwww. Seeing Pomona Salad on the menu isn't going to make me want to order that, no matter where I am.

I didn't think Gordon would be able to get the executive chef to come around, but it was nice that he did. Demoting him seemed to have done some good, but you get the impression that a lot more happened to make the turnaround in both the executive chef and Gordon. It was nice that Gordon was able to make a change, but apparently, it happened too late in the game since the restaurant didn't survive.

Comment

OK, so you don't know anything about running a restaurant or about cooking really, and so you decide to open a restaurant? Ummm, ok, why? I'm amazed they were open for 18 months with the way things were going, but he was seriously in debt by that time. It's kind of interesting that even if you don't know anything about the business, you apparently can't figure out that having a "fun" working atmosphere is detrimental to your business. Yeah, you want to make it a pleasant place for people to work, but not at the expense of your customers. One of the things I don't get about a lot of these people is that they can't see some of the obvious problems with their restaurants, that they can't put themselves in the shoes of their customers and know that in their position, they wouldn't put up with certain things. A few of the people in this restaurant said it's known for people having to wait for their food. And the owner can't figure out that's a bad thing. He'd sit in a restaurant and wait a really long time for food and keep going back? It took Gordon to come in and see that their "fun" environment was entirely too loud for the customers, and maddening on top of that when you hear people goofing around while you sit there waiting endlessly for your meal? It was also amazing that there was so little business in the restaurant, but there were so many people on staff. As Gordon was counting them, it seemed to me that there were way more people working the restaurant than were eating in the restaurant.

One curious technical part for me - when Gordon was at their house and interviewing the wife, there's one scene at the end of that segment where Gordon and the wife are what looks to be in another room, and the cameraman was peering at them through a slightly open door. What was up with that?

I also found it odd that Gordon decided to take on the woman who was complaining about the food. I didn't think she was making a scene or anything, and Gordon really cussed her out. Seemed a bit odd to me.

Comment

Re: "Kitchen Nightmares"

Originally posted by cstephens View Post
          I also found it odd that Gordon decided to take on the woman who was complaining about the food. I didn't think she was making a scene or anything, and Gordon really cussed her out. Seemed a bit odd to me.
          My guess is he was managing the kitchen more than the footage showed and he was personally involved in the mean she was eating. Its one thing for him to go in and criticize a chef, but God forbit anyone criticize him. Anyway, I don't think we got to see everything that happened in the tape, but my guess there was more there than they showed that caused him to take her on.

I still don't understand how these people open their own restaurants without any real paln or management set in stone...every week I am amazed!

A little piece of heaven

Comment

So Gordon comes to Ventura County...Moorpark, of all places. I live in Ventura County, and I never realized that Moorpark is "the gateway to the wine country" as said on the show...

It amazes me when chefs say that something must be good because he's never gotten any complaints.

Most people won't complain. They'll just come back dressed as the empty tables that the owner apparently can't see..

Might have to check out the "Secret Garden" now. I imagine that they'll get a boost in business now that Gordon has, for the moment, righted another ship...
            God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

This episode was about a restaurant called Secret Garden in Moorpark, CA. It's apparently so secret that Gordon had a hard time finding the front door - not a good omen to start with.

Another pattern I've noticed - the owner of the restaurant is in complete denial about their circumstances. Maybe they just don't like being confronted, and their egos take over. Michel says that he's in debt at the restaurant for something like over $200,000? And they've obviously applied to have the show and Gordon come in. But when Gordon confronts him about it, he says the restaurant is doing just fine? Ummm, ok, whatever.

And then Michel references having worked for Thomas Keller. I have recently learned a lot about and become quite enamoured of Thomas Keller, and if Michel had managed to work for one of Keller's restaurants, he must not have been there long. Michel's restaurant was filthy. Thomas Keller's restaurants are immaculate, and he's a stickler for cleanliness, much like the quick glimpse that we were given of the kitchen of one of Gordon's restaurants earlier in the season. Keller would have been appalled to have seen the state of the store room at Secret Garden, not to mention the inefficiency at getting the food out, making his customers wait so long before they're brought anything they've ordered. And Michel doesn't realize that he's dropping Thomas Keller's name, but Gordon is a name that could be equally thrown out in that vein, and yet Michel is completely dismissive of him.

It was funny to see that Gordon had arranged to have the restaurant boarded up. I guess that was the most extreme example he could give Michel. I thought it was funny that Michel was mad because he said people would see the signs and it would be broadcast on the evening news that he was closed. Does he really think his restaurant has garnered enough attention that its closing would actually make the news, even in a small town like Moorpark?

Gordon's new menu specials are a hit, but that only solves one problem - there's still no one really running the restaurant. There's zero communication between the kitchen and the servers - the kitchen has run out of some food items, but no one bothers to tell the servers, who then get yelled at because they're taking orders for food they didn't know had run out? Michel is also making things worse by not even letting his sous chefs help him. There's "hands on", and then there's an inability to delegate. What's the point of having all those people in the kitchen if you won't let them do anything? No wonder it takes so long for food to be prepared.

I did think the bit with the bus of 24 people arriving was a bit ridiculous. Most restaurants wouldn't even agree to accommodate something like that with zero notice.

But in the end, Michel does learn his lesson. He's still skeptical of Gordon's changes, but he decides to let his customers be the final test. And when they tell him how much they love everything, he finally lets it all sink in. And we were really happy that he promoted Jane to manager!

This is the last episode of the season, so it's another show to cross off my list of shows to watch. With the writers' strike still in full swing and the regular holiday hiatus coming up, there will be fewer and fewer things to watch.

Comment

Are you all talking about the American version? Cause I watch the version on BBC America.

Comment

American version and BBC version are very similar. Ramsey tends to be "harder" on the American restaurant staff/owners. I used to love this show, but I can't deal with the same formula week after week.

Ramsay enters restaurant. Asks if Crab in crab cakes is fresh. Tatstes the food and goes to the bathroom to pretend to throw up.

Owner/kitchen rebels, thinks Ramsay is wrong.
                  Dinner service with new menu is a disaster to start, staff/owner continue to be mad at Ramsay.
                  Staff/owner "pull off" the evening with the new menu, all is good, lots of money in the till.
                  Staff/owner agree Ramasay was right, hugs and kisses until next time. Really a bore now.

12/18 TC DAY

Comment

Originally posted by Max Fischer View Post
                    Once again, America has found a way to F with a great UK show. The BBC version is SO much wittier,
                    Seems like all Brit show that have been converted to the US are always much better.

Changing Rooms better than Trading Spaces
                    British What Not to Wear better than US What Not to Wear.
                    British The Office better than US The Office
                    Etc... (having trouble thinking of more right now...)

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessY View Post
                      Seems like all Brit show that have been converted to the US are always much better.

Changing Rooms better than Trading Spaces
                      British What Not to Wear better than US What Not to Wear.
                      British The Office better than US The Office
                      Etc... (having trouble thinking of more right now...)

All I have to say I'm sop glad that the US Coupling failed very early in the season when it aired.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexLoup View Post
                        All I have to say I'm sop glad that the US Coupling failed very early in the season when it aired.
                        Yeah, forgot about that one. Bad.

Comment

Originally posted by cstephens View Post

It was funny to see that Gordon had arranged to have the restaurant boarded up. I guess that was the most extreme example he could give Michel. I thought it was funny that Michel was mad because he said people would see the signs and it would be broadcast on the evening news that he was closed. Does he really think his restaurant has garnered enough attention that its closing would actually make the news, even in a small town like Moorpark?
                          I've been a big fan of Gordon's shows for the most part, although I didn't care for his BBC "F" Word (and the word is food) show, and I watch Hell's Kitchen even though he is a bit harsh at times.

But I must say that my wife and I thought he went too far with the "boarding up" bit. I'm not sure of the language in their contract, but if they were able the owners should have sued. Better maybe if he'd put up the signs and blown up a picture of them to make his point (taking them right down after a few moments). But the way he did it...was really my first time feeling that Chef Ramsay had really crossed the line.

Yes, the shows have a formula...but the message is always just so basic...let the food be the star, simple is better, and don't let your chef ego get in the way of pleasing your customers.

I find even the reruns of the BBC shows to be entertaining and informative. As for the US shows, well, it's American TV, and it's FOX at that. What else would one expect?

--Barry
                          God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

And I meant to post these earlier. These come from our local paper here ...the Ventura County Star...which I believe requires a fre registration to acess the stories. I know that's an issue for some.

<H1>Restaurant, owners skewered on TV series "Kitchen Nightmares"

By Lisa McKinnon
                            Wednesday, December 12, 2007
                            </H1>Full story at - http://www.venturacountystar.com/new...kitchen-confi/

Meantime, another piece of interest fom that day...

Some makeovers aren't survivors

By Lisa McKinnon
                            Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Before you tune in to watch the Bleeped One strolling down Moorpark's High Street, however, join us as we explore what happened to eateries that have already appeared on the show. (Some episodes were aired more than once during the season.)
                            The restaurant: Peter's Italian Restaurant in Babylon, N.Y.
                            Original air date: Season premiere, Sept. 19.
                            Final scene: After seeing the error of his "Goodfellas"-style ways, the brother of the restaurant's beleaguered owner stops screaming at the staff and skimming money out of the till.
                            Current status: Open. But the restaurant's Web site was taken down soon after the episode aired and has yet to be reactivated. "I don't know why that is," said an employee who was answering the (busily ringing) phones Sunday.
                            The restaurant: Dillon's Restaurant in New York, N.Y.
                            Original air date: Sept. 26.
                            Final scene: Following the dismissal of the general manager and a thorough scouring of the pest-infested kitchen, the restaurant is renamed Purnima, a Sanskrit word meaning "full moon."
                            Current status: Open. And with help from new consulting chef Vikas Khanna, co-author of "Modern Indian Cooking," the kitchen is garnering good-to-glowing reviews. Check out the menu at www.purnimarestaurant.com.
                            The restaurant: The Mixing Bowl Eatery in Bellmore, N.Y.
                            Original air date: Oct. 3.
                            Final scene: Viewers are told via voice-over narration that, in the months following its healthy menu makeover, the Mixing Bowl is "doing well."
                            Current status: Open, and proud of it: The under-construction Web site at www.mixingbowleatery.com proudly declares "as seen on Kitchen Nightmares'!"
                            More at http://www.venturacountystar.com/new...nt-survivors/?

Hope these help.

--Barry

Comment

Re: &quot;Kitchen Nightmares&quot;

Originally posted by Radiobarry View Post
                              I've been a big fan of Gordon's shows for the most part, although I didn't care for his BBC "F" Word (and the word is food) show, and I watch Hell's Kitchen even though he is a bit harsh at times.
                              I agree... I haven not been able to get into his F Word show....

Originally posted by Radiobarry View Post
                              I find even the reruns of the BBC shows to be entertaining and informative. As for the US shows, well, it's American TV, and it's FOX at that. What else would one expect?

--Barry
                              I am absolutely addicted to the BBC version of Kitchen Nightmares... I keep telling my friends to watch it and they say... "oh, that guy is too mean".... Why is it that the American shows are so bad!!???

---Forever a fan of Gordon!!
                              I'm addicted and I don't care!!! :yea:

Comment

[quote=peoplemover1;2418037]I agree... I haven not been able to get into his F Word show....

I am absolutely addicted to the BBC version of Kitchen Nightmares... I keep telling my friends to watch it and they say... "oh, that guy is too mean".... Why is it that the American shows are so bad!!???

---Forever a fan of Gordon!!
                                They are identical, accept everyone has an English accent in the BBC version.

12/18 TC DAY

Comment

Peter's Restaurant is next door to the happy hour bar we go to on Fridays. I've passed by it so many times, but never eaten there. I don't know if I would want to now.
                                  It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Comment

Originally posted by peoplemover1 View Post
                                    I agree... I haven not been able to get into his F Word show....
                                    I like it but only the parts where he's raising the animals.

His kids are so strange, one wanted the feet of the turkeys, another wanted the beaks.

Comment

Got this email from Sebastian's, the Burbank/Toluca Lake restaurant featured on one of the KN episodes this season. It was the one where the owner had delusions of starting a huge franchise with his complicated mix and match menu, who Ramsey said that he'd never met a person he believed in less.

Anyway:

As of January 20th Sebastian's will be closing the doors. We are moving
                                      back to Boston for family reasons. We are grateful and appreciative of
                                      all of you for not only your business support but the lifetime
                                      friendships we have made with a lot of you. For those of you who
                                      know Nichole and I this is not an easy thing for us to do because this
                                      was our everything, but without family you've got nothing and they need
                                      us right now.

We are keeping the same email address so if you need to contact us
                                      please do so at eatrelaxenjoy@aol.com <mailto:eatrelaxenjoy@aol.com>.
                                      C'mon in and see us before it's too late! We'd love the privilege to
                                      say goodbye in person.

Truly from our hearts to all of yours, thank you.

/Sebastian Di Modica IV, Owner, Chef/
                                      /Nichole Di Modica, Owner/
                                      /Sebastiano Di Modica V, Future CEO/
                                      Sebastian's Restaurant
                                      Beware, Boston.

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasJefferson View Post
                                        They are identical, accept everyone has an English accent in the BBC version.
                                        You are saying that the FOX version and the BBC version of Kitchen Nightmares are identical?I could not disagree more. The best episodes on FOX were still heavy on yelling, with loud "edgy" music and an emphasis on confrontation. Much moreso than the BBC show IMHO.

--Barry

Comment

Working...
                                        X