This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Change Disney Channel Back

they need to bring back mickey mouse work out, (i think that was it's name)
    Mousercise.

Comment

I watched the disney channel when I was little. My 7 year old loves it now. granted it is the same few shows repeated over and over....I think it would be great to have both...they have radio stations that play 80's the fashions seem to come back Disney must not see the need for it.. I think its a great idea....

Comment

Originally posted by thrax View Post

they need to bring back mickey mouse work out, (i think that was it's name)
        Let's do the Bug-A-Boo. Come on, shake a leg or two.

Comment

remember how at the end of the show mickey would show up for final exercise, like that would make a difference. minnie was there the whole time, why not mickey?
          sigpicDISNEYROYALTY

Comment

LostBoy, your suggestion is an excellent one regarding Disney Channel programming on Toon Disney, and allowing some space for "retro" if you will programming on the Disney Channel.

By the way, Nickelodeon did not "become" TV Land as someone earlier suggested. It was created as a new channel to show older programming as Nick At Nite kept showing more and more recent programming to go after the "soccer Mom" crowd.

And the problem with "Classic" channels is that with time they become less and less "classic". ESPN Classic, for example, always seems to be replaying those poker shows from maybe 3-4 years ago at most. I loved "Arliss" but does that belong on ESPN Classic?

Back to the point. I support LB's proposal. But I'm not holding my breath...
            God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

Neither am I, but thanks for the support. I realize that Disney never listens to anything I say, so I am just dreaming and ranting. It would be nice, but I doubt it will ever happen. They should take a clue from NIK and start a new retro channel showing the old shows from the Disneyland and Wonderful World of Color shows plus all the great behind the scenes shows at Disneyland. I loved those.
              Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

Comment

Why dont they make a classic disney channel. 24 hours of classic disney shows. I would even pay for that. Make it a pay channel like hbo or max.

Comment

Make it a pay channel like hbo or max
                  NO!! it needs to be free, an hbo type channel wouldn't get people to watch
                  sigpicDISNEYROYALTY

Comment

Originally posted by thrax View Post
                    NO!! it needs to be free, an hbo type channel wouldn't get people to watch
                    When it first came into existence, The Disney Channel was an "extra pay tier" channel, not included in the "basic cable" package.

And that's when the quality of the programming seemed to be better than what it is now to many of us.

There's no reason why they can't give up a couple of hours of the "epic" That's So Raven" and "Hannah Montana" reruns in the overnight hours, when they usually don't even run actual commercials in the breaks (mostly promos)...to give us back some classic Mickey Mouse Club and World of Color shows.

That is, unless you consider the fact that most TV programmers are oblivious to the fact that baby boomers in general now have the most disposable income of any age demo, make up a verylarge part of the populaton and still have good enough eyesight and hearing to enjoy good television that they can share with their youngsters.
                    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

Lost Boy, I think you're my hero. I used to stay up every night when I was little and watch vault Disney. It was my favorite time of day. You have no idea how devestated I was when I figured out how old the movies and shows I was watching were. Annette has been one of my heros since I was 6. Not to mention how awesome the Disney Afternoon cartoons were. No violence, no love stories. Just family shows about the value of honesty, what the meaning of friendship is and overcoming adversity... without blowing people up.

If I could get it back just for 2 or 3 hours a day I would be ecstatic. If they made a Vault Disney channel I would stop eating out or try to find a way to carpool to afford it.
                      sigpic
                      I raise my Kitties right.... they only watch the finest shows.

Comment

I used to love the Disney Channel for the backstage things they did. They were not the stupid little bits with underage stars trying to host stuff they know nothing about. But these were serious 1 hour shows that gave a wonderful insight to just how things worked, and rather than make the "Magic" disappear, it made all the more real just trying to figure out how someone could know, or design something, that did something, or made something do something to something else, even more amazing. The one that stands out in my mind the most it the backstage story of "The Main Street Electrical Parade" as it not only showed us how the floats were designed and built, but went even further to explaining and showing the wires and sensors that were implanted under the asphalt of Main Street and Matterhorn Way to make the music follow the floats and stay in perfect sync with the Baroque Hoedown that was playing through the stationary speakers along the parade route. They even took in side the main control room where even though the CM's running the show up there, couldn't even see the parade, but they made it work through control panels and other things that were so far ahead of their time. Now that was Magic. And I video taped that show and I think it's still around here somewhere as I never got rid of any Disneyland related video tape.
                        Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

Comment

I would absolutely love to see that. The ELP is my favorite parade. I think my favorite special was the 10,000 showing of the Golden Horseshoe Revue at Disneyland and they had Annette and Ed Wynn appear as guest stars. I used to watch it over and over again. I can't find the tape anymore it makes me very sad. I still know every word to every song though.
                          sigpic

Comment

I found that online once. That one was incredible. I'm going to have to hunt it down again. I agree, the Disney Channel has kind of lost its vision and has just sort of blended into all the other tween-teen channels out there. There is nothing make it stand out any more. And the underage "reporters" doing their little 5 minute bits REALLY gets on my nerves.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Comment

Those shorts are so freaking annoying and it makes me weep for hollywood today. I remember when they used to show In The Disney Afternoon shows on Toon Disney. It was my favorite time to watch tv. My little sister (who is 10 now) used to watch Gargoyles and even named her cat after Alyssa Maza. Why oh why did they take those off the air.
                              sigpic

Comment

The biggest problem with any attempt to establish a classic channel or programing block is going to be perception and market. Aiming at people who remember shows from their original airing over 40 years ago is not a market that is going to expand. Why can anybody walk into a Disney Store and find plenty of merchandise featuring Snow White, Cinderella, or Aurora? All three characters pre-date the 1960s, but have always been maintained as timeless and kept in the public consciousness.

The true solution I see is to integrate old and the new. Instead of running a cut down episode, or those idiotic shorts, at the end of movies to fill the programing block, the films could start with a short cartoon. Awhile back I also suggested using the tween idols to promote the material. It might be a bit annoying having to hear one of them say what they "like", but it could very well be the spark of initial interest in an otherwise oblivious segment of the population.

Comment

Well, if the classic movie channels can do it, I'm sure they can find a way to make it work. It's not whether the market will expand it's whether or not it can maintain itself. Which I believe it can. As it was previously posted there are a lot of baby boomers and older generation people who would give their eye teeth to be able to watch some of those shows. If they can bring in their grandchildren or eve if the kids are like me and start watching the shows for the heck of it then the market can maintain itself.
                                  sigpic

Comment

I was just reading an article in today's LA Times about how Nickelodeon is going to be making a cartoon series about the penguins from Madagascar. They mentioned that Nickelodeon for the last 14 years has led the ratings in the 'tween market. Disney is doing everything to increase this market share so as much as I would like to see more programming like you mentioned, I don't think it is ever going to happen.

Comment

Obviously what they are doing isn't working though. Perhaps they should try something different instead of mass producing the same stuff over and over again.
                                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Queentitania19 View Post
                                        I think my favorite special was the 10,000 showing of the Golden Horseshoe Revue at Disneyland and they had Annette and Ed Wynn appear as guest stars. I used to watch it over and over again. I can't find the tape anymore it makes me very sad. I still know every word to every song though.
                                        YAY!! I just got the Disneyland Treasures collection for Christmas and it has this on it! I was so excited I started jumping up and down and squealing like a little girl. It has two other Disneyland specials on it too. I love love LOVE this DVD set.
                                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                        X