Announcement

Collapse

Attention New Uber/Lyft Users

If you are planning to use Uber or Lyft anywhere in the US and have not already taken your first ride, you can use the following codes for a free or discounted first ride (amount varies by location). Uber - matthewb96 Lyft - matthewb96
See more
See less

Disney looking at 21st Century Fox assets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disney looking at 21st Century Fox assets

What is happening here? 21st Century Fox wants to get out of the entertainment industry?

https://io9.gizmodo.com/report-disne...-as-1820947490
    Jim in Merced CA - former cast member at Walt Disney World, Walt Disney Imagineering and Disneyland.

Originally posted by Jim in Merced CA View Post
    What is happening here? 21st Century Fox wants to get out of the entertainment industry?

https://io9.gizmodo.com/report-disne...-as-1820947490
    I don't care as long as they don't sell Disney/ABC their news division. There needs to be at least one good reliable news network on the air.

Comment

Originally posted by Whipland View Post

I don't care as long as they don't sell Disney/ABC their news division. There needs to be at least one good reliable news network on the air.
      Due to antitrust regulations, I don't think they are.
      My top favorite Disneyland attractions:

1. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
      2. Pirates of the Caribbean
      3. Splash Mountain
      4. Mad Tea Party
      5. Peter Pan's Flight
      6. Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin

Comment

This could get real nasty between Disney and Comcast. Both are major players that don't like to lose.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. P View Post
          This could get real nasty between Disney and Comcast. Both are major players that don't like to lose.
          Considering that Fox seems to be favoring Disney, I have a feeling that Disney is going to win it all. And they said they will have an answer for this sometime next week.
          My top favorite Disneyland attractions:

1. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
          2. Pirates of the Caribbean
          3. Splash Mountain
          4. Mad Tea Party
          5. Peter Pan's Flight
          6. Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin

Comment

Originally posted by Whipland View Post

If Disney bought 21st Century, the deal would NOT include News, FOX affiliated stations OR Football, due government regulations. It would only be select TV Channels(FX,FXX) and All Fox TV Shows and Movies that FOX produces. X-Men, Fantastic 4 and Avatar (Movie rights) would be owned by Disney, though.

Comment

So what’s Disney really after?

sure, the Star Wars movies that are still under some distribution thing with 21st Century Fox, but then what?

Rights to ‘Hello Dolly’ and ‘The Sound of Music’?
              Jim in Merced CA - former cast member at Walt Disney World, Walt Disney Imagineering and Disneyland.

Comment

Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post

If Disney bought 21st Century, the deal would NOT include News, FOX affiliated stations OR Football, due government regulations. It would only be select TV Channels(FX,FXX) and All Fox TV Shows and Movies that FOX produces. X-Men, Fantastic 4 and Avatar (Movie rights) would be owned by Disney, though.
                I just saw a report that Disney is interested in Fox's RSN's (regional sports networks).

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/disne...190231427.html

Comment

Originally posted by Jim in Merced CA View Post
                  So what’s Disney really after?

sure, the Star Wars movies that are still under some distribution thing with 21st Century Fox, but then what?

Rights to ‘Hello Dolly’ and ‘The Sound of Music’?
                  Rights to any X-Men films AND Avatar films would be under Disney's control AND ownership. They might also own Blue Sky Studios, as well(Ice Age,Rio).

Disney can Buy FOX Sports Channels but it can not own any FOX affiliated station(the one with local news and regular tv programming. There will be precise wording in the contracts, if the deal goes through.

Comment

CNN: Disney is buying most of 21st Century Fox for $52.4 billion

An excerpt from the article:

Disney is buying a huge chunk of 21st Century Fox in a deal that promises to reshape the media industry and help the entertainment giant fend off digital rivals such as Netflix.

The $52.4 billion deal will combine two of the biggest players in Hollywood.

The sale represents a remarkable turn in the career of octogenarian mogul Rupert Murdoch, who is cashing out after building a major media empire. For its part, Disney (DIS) is adding even more prime entertainment assets to an already swollen portfolio as it battles upstart streaming services that have undercut the traditional cable subscription model.

In addition to 21st Century Fox's movie studio and regional sports networks, Disney is buying cable channels FX and National Geographic. Disney will also get Fox's stakes in Hulu and European pay-TV provider Sky (SKYAY).

Prior to the deal closing, 21st Century Fox (FOX) will separate the Fox broadcasting network, Fox News Channel, Fox Business Network, and some national sports networks into a new company that will be spun off to its shareholders. The remaining properties would ideally in the coming years merge with News Corp., from which they split in 2013, Murdoch said on Fox Business Thursday morning.

Disney, which counts ESPN among its crown jewels, has suffered as consumers switch off their TVs and spend more hours watching streaming services such as Netflix (NFLX) that are distributed directly to consumers.

The deal allows Disney to expand its content, especially for streaming services. In addition to a majority stake in Hulu that it will have once the deal closes, Disney is preparing to launch two separate streaming services, one for sports and another focusing on entertainment. And it is pulling its content from Netflix in preparation for the launch. Adding Fox's television and movie studios and the content they own means adding to the stable of must-watch content it can offer directly to consumers -- and that streaming competitors can not.

There are also important international assets involved. Fox is in the midst of a lengthy regulatory review in the United Kingdom to take over the rest of the satellite broadcaster Sky it does not already own. In the announcement, Disney and Fox said "21st Century Fox remains fully committed to completing the current Sky offer and anticipates that, subject to the necessary regulatory consents, the transaction will close by June 30, 2018." Disney would then assume full ownership of Sky as long as Fox's transaction is completed before Disney's.

If the deal doesn't close, then Disney will retain Fox's current 39 percent stake of Sky "and we imagine they'll make their own bid for the rest of it," Murdoch said on Fox Business on Thursday.

The deal will needs to undergo regulatory review and will likely take at least a year to close. The Justice Department, which last month sued to block AT&T's purchase of CNN parent company Time Warner, will consider to what extent the new company could dominate the market, using its increased leverage to force cable companies and distributors to pay higher rates to carry Disney and Fox content.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
                    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
                    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

"I didn't know the story of baby Jesus could be any better,
                    until Thor told it to me."
                    -
                    Young girl at Disneyland's 2017 Candlelight Ceremony

Comment

I’m keeping my fingers crossed for ‘The Sound of Music: THE RIDE’

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
                        CNN: Disney is buying most of 21st Century Fox for $52.4 billion

An excerpt from the article:

Disney is buying a huge chunk of 21st Century Fox in a deal that promises to reshape the media industry and help the entertainment giant fend off digital rivals such as Netflix.

Well, that makes your anti-Disney Corp diatribe about Pandora (AK) moot. Maybe, Iger knew what he was doing all along.

Comment

Originally posted by DL714 View Post
                          Well, that makes your anti-Disney Corp diatribe about Pandora (AK) moot. Maybe, Iger knew what he was doing all along.
                          Considering that AvatarLand was Tom Staggs' idea, and that it was greenlit years before Murdoch started his selloff moves, that defense of Iger is as historically bogus as it is trolling for pennies at the bottom of Snow White's Wishing Well of Corporate Sycophancy.
                          "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
                          Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
                          imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

"I didn't know the story of baby Jesus could be any better,
                          until Thor told it to me."
                          -
                          Young girl at Disneyland's 2017 Candlelight Ceremony

Comment

I feel ,a lot of consumers will be hurt from this deal !
                            Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Going be Interesting ......How many lawsuits and what the The Justice Department ,antitrust regulations going say about the deal ?
                              We all know that , Com-Cast and Netflix ....is up in arm !
                              Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Eagleman It's actually Comcast ( no '-' is between Com and cast). Or more technically, UniversalComcast, which is oddly one word but I'm rambling.

Currently Disney is 4-0* with getting clearance of major sales. However, I think this will be the hardest acquisition to get for the company, so far. I wonder if Disney will have to sell any property, to be given the OK.

*Pixar, Muppets, Marvel, LucasFilms

Comment

Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post
                                  Eagleman It's actually Comcast ( no '-' is between Com and cast). Or more technically, UniversalComcast, which is oddly one word but I'm rambling.

Currently Disney is 4-0* with getting clearance of major sales. However, I think this will be the hardest acquisition to get for the company, so far. I wonder if Disney will have to sell any property, to be given the OK.

*Pixar, Muppets, Marvel, LucasFilms
                                  lol thank you for spelling check
                                  Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Working...
                                  X