Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ABC cancels ‘Rosanne’ after racist tweets

http://money.cnn.com/2018/05/29/medi...ton/index.html
    Jim in Merced CA - former cast member at Walt Disney World, Walt Disney Imagineering and Disneyland.

I would just want to ask her, was it worth it?

Also how mad are you work on the staff right now that some woman had to make a stupid joke that ended your job
    Last edited by JerrodDRagon; 05-30-2018, 10:36 AM.
    Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

Kudos to Disney for doing the right thing and finally kicking her bigoted butt off their network. Boos to Disney for having relaunched her show in the first place -- there were plenty of her racist tweets at that time.
      "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
      Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
      imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

"I didn't know the story of baby Jesus could be any better,
      until Thor told it to me."
      -
      Young girl at Disneyland's 2017 Candlelight Ceremony
      narrated by Chris Hemsworth

Comment

Too bad, my wife and I liked watching that show together.

I generally make a distinction between an actor and the character that an actor plays on TV or in a movie. I don't pay much attention to the political views or lifestyles of actors. That kind of "ruins the magic" of their performance for me if I am focusing on the actor rather than the character that the actor is portraying.

Just like, while we are in Fantasyland, "Snow white" is not supposed to be just some young lady in a fancy dress. Of course, she is...but we intentionally don't focus on reality and try to give in to the fantasy: here we are, meeting Snow White and getting our photo taken with her! In real life, she might be counting the hours when she can ditch the costume and log onto Tinder or maybe grab a beer: it seems almost sacrilegious to even write this, but these are real people with real lives outside of the park. And that shouldn't be an issue as long as they embodied their character while they were performing for you and your family.

I am sorry, but I honestly feel the same way about Roseanne. I never paid much attention to what she wrote on Twitter. Zero, in fact. And I still don't care about that. I just liked watching her play a character on TV. And I honestly don't appreciate that I will no longer be allowed to do so, for whatever reason. I wish everybody else could also be capable of compartmentalizing and making a clear distinction between a failable, imperfect, maybe even stupid and foul mouthed human actor, and the character that this actor embodies while he or she is performing for our amusement. Criticize and punish the actor for their misbehaviour. That's fine. But why do we also need to censor what we are allowed to watch and experience, just because we disagreed with the political views or writings of one of the actors that created that art or entertainment?
        Dumbo rats: the other lovable rodents.

Comment

Originally posted by whiteness View Post
          Criticize and punish the actor for their misbehaviour. That's fine. But why do we also need to censor what we are allowed to watch and experience, just because we disagreed with the political views or writings of one of the actors that created that art or entertainment?
          Disney, to its credit, doesn't support blatant bigotry. And Roseanne's history is that of a blatant bigot.

She's free to say what she wants under the law -- her freedom of speech is protected by the 1st Amendment. The same Amendment that protects Disney.

So far as the importance you place on being entertained by racists like Rosanne, that's a discussion for another forum.

- Neil Gabler

-

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

Disney, to its credit, doesn't support blatant bigotry. And Roseanne's history is that of a blatant bigot.

She's free to say what she wants under the law -- her freedom of speech is protected by the 1st Amendment. The same Amendment that protects Disney.

So far as the importance you place on being entertained by racists like Rosanne, that's a discussion for another forum.

As I said, I am entertained by the show, the personal beliefs of the actors that played a role in creating the show are none of my concern. And I honestly don't see why it should be, so long as it doesn't affect the show.

Comment

You're minimizing both the degree of her offense and her position on the show. Roseanne isn't "one of the actors on the show." Roseanne didn't just "play a role in creating the show." Roseanne is the show. She created it from her standup comedy act. She owns it. Her racism can't be separated from it, any more than her presence before the cameras can.

As for her racism being "none of your concern"... it's truly unfortunate that so many Americans find reasons to give a pass to racists.

- Neil Gabler

-

Comment

You're minimizing both the degree of her offense and her position on the show. Roseanne isn't "one of the actors on the show." Roseanne didn't just "play a role in creating the show." Roseanne is the show. She created it from her standup comedy act. She owns it. Her racism can't be separated from it, any more than her presence before the cameras can.

As for her racism being "none of your concern"... it's truly unfortunate that so many Americans find reasons to give a pass to racists.
                My wife and I didn't notice any racism in the TV series. And that's all that matters to us. What some actors may have posted on Twitter, which we don't subscribe to anyway, doesn't detract from our enjoyment of a series or movie they appeared in.

I accept that this mattered to you, but it's a pity that you can't accept that we just wanted to be allowed to continue to enjoy a series that we looked forward to every week and shared as a family with our daughter.

Comment

Originally posted by whiteness View Post
                  I accept that this mattered to you, but it's a pity that you can't accept that we just wanted to be allowed to continue to enjoy a series that we looked forward to every week and shared as a family with our daughter.
                  It's a pity that you and so many other Americans complain about this racist TV star being taken off the air. A pity that you're so easily able to overlook the harm that the racism of powerful voices like Rosanne's does to real people. A pity that you can so easily turn away and not see it, so easily dismiss it as irrelevant, and so easily justify it by making your enjoyment of a TV show your main criteria.

- Neil Gabler

-

Comment

It's a pity that you and so many other Americans complain about this racist TV star being taken off the air. A pity that you're so easily able to overlook the harm that the racism of powerful voices like Rosanne's does to real people. A pity that you can so easily turn away and not see it, so easily dismiss it as irrelevant, and so easily justify it by making your enjoyment of a TV show your main criteria.
                    yes, we watch TV series like Rosanne for entertainment purposes. We do not select which fictional, scripted TV shows we watch based on the political views of the actors, as long as their political views are not actually reflected in the actual TV show.

in the specific case of Roseanne, we didn’t notice any objectionable views being expressed during the show. So, why wouldn’t we watch it? In fact, the views expressed seemed progressive, and the characters defended the rights of minorities, and the right to be different and free thinking. Not that it matters, as we don’t require every fictional, scripted TV show to be uplifting. They just need to be entertaining. That’s the point, at least for us.

I understand that some people might have other criteria for selecting which fictional, scripted TV series they watch, but that is a personal preference. People need to recognize that others may not share their same preferences with respect to fictional, scripted entertainment. I, personally, feel that censorship Imposed on others by passionately outspoken groups can also be objectionable and harmful. Especially if the entertainment which is being censored is, on its face, not in any way offensive. And, having actually watched the last season of Roseanne, there seems to be absolutely nothing about the scripted, fictional episodes that aired on Television that merit any form of censorship. They were sometimes irreverent and thought provoking, but no more so than much of what airs on TV lately, and were emenently suitable for family viewing.

Therefore, I conclude that ABC and Disney had no reason to censor this fictional, scripted TV show, but were forced to do so for reasons tangential to the actual show, itself. And I am sorry that this happened, and wish I could continue to follow the lives of these fictional, scripted characters, but it will, unfortunately, no longer be possible.

Comment

In fact, I challenge you to actually watch an episode of Roseanne, and then the tell me specifically what you found so racist and offensive about the actual episode that aired on television that you would forbid others to watch it. I’m willing to keep an open mind about this, but, to my knowledge and recollection, there was nothing about the series that merits censorship. Given that, people should be allowed to watch it if they find it entertaining. But, again, if you can point to anything that does, I will be happy to rewatch the episode and see if I agree with you.

Comment

Well, it looks like I may get my wish: ABC is negotiating bringing back the Roseanne revival...without Roseanne.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...edium=referral

ABC and producer Carsey-Werner are insisting that Barr not participate financially or creatively in the proposed spinoff, which is said to revolve around the character played by Sara Gilbert. Other Roseanne writer-producers and cast members, including John Goodman and Laurie Metcalf, are said to be tentatively on board (they would receive the same fees as previously negotiated for the second season of the Roseanne revival, which was ABC’s top-rated program this season).

But since Barr would be entitled to substantial fees and backend on any spin-off of Roseanne (the original series was created by Matt Williams but it is also credited as being "based upon a character created by Barr”), she must waive those rights before any such show could proceed. With Roseanne having tentatively agreed to do so, now the negotiation is over what, if any, one-time payment Barr should receive as “go-away money,” as one source puts it.
                        The main sticking point seems to be finding a way to spin it so that Roseanne gets acceptably compensated for her IP; while at the same time making it look like she is not being compensated for her IP...to satisfy those people out there who would like to see her punished. Personally, I hope she gets every single penny she is legally entitled to get: cheating people just to satisfy popular opinion sets a bad precidant and is mean spirited. Just pay her something fair and move on.

Not sure if Roseanne (the Connors) will be as good without Roseanne, but worth a shot.

Comment

Working...
                        X