Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $30 for Mulan on Disney+ ?!?!

$30 to watch a PPV movie? You gotta be kidding.

'Mulan' is finally heading to Disney+... for $30

"Disney announced on Tuesday that the remake of the 1998 animated classic will be heading to Disney+, the company's new streaming service, for an additional fee of $29.99. The film will be available on September 4.

Bob Chapek, Disney's CEO, said the pandemic has forced the company to think of 'different approaches' to better serve consumers."

"Different approach?" Nah, it's the same old stick-it-to-'em-in-the-wallet approach that Chapek was famous for as head of Disney Parks.
    "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
    it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
    together with every variety of recreation and fun,
    designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
    - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
    - Bob Chapek

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    $30 to watch a PPV movie? You gotta be kidding.

'Mulan' is finally heading to Disney+... for $30

"Disney announced on Tuesday that the remake of the 1998 animated classic will be heading to Disney+, the company's new streaming service, for an additional fee of $29.99. The film will be available on September 4.

Bob Chapek, Disney's CEO, said the pandemic has forced the company to think of 'different approaches' to better serve consumers."

"Different approach?" Nah, it's the same old stick-it-to-'em-in-the-wallet approach that Chapek was famous for as head of Disney Parks.
    Read the News.......
    Disney want $30 more for a movie on
    Disney +
    that one is paying a monthly fee for already ??
    Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Well, that innovative approach certainly won't entice me. $30 for a PPV movie? - I'll wait for the DVD, if at all.

Comment

It's definitely a good deal for families where the theater-going experience exceeds $30 for a family of three... However, it's a ridiculous price for the solo movie-goer. We'll see if families take the bait, and if they can cover the losses.

When compared to the price to Trolls World Tour, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Comment

After we re-watch Hamilton, we're planning on canceling Disney+.
          This Mulan move is really annoying.

Comment

I had the same initial shock but I suppose that was because I was trying to compare it to the price I'd pay alone for a typical movie ticket here in SoCal. But after thinking about it some more, I'm starting to see the logic and even the value. Granted, if you're a single person home alone with Disney+ and want to watch Mulan, then yes, $30 is pretty steep.

But beyond that, it's a value. It breaks even at even just one other person watching it with you (roughly $15 dollars per "ticket"). For a family of four? $7.50 per ticket. Or maybe you have some friends who want to watch it with you in a big group showing? Disney loses money on ticket sales at even 3 people per viewing (based on my local SoCal theatre prices). -and they're not daft, they know this is what people are going to do. Heck, they know lots of people even share Disney+ accounts. My entire family shares one account across multiple households and platforms so the one time $30 purchase gives unlimited viewings not just for us but for anyone else who wants to watch with us.

-and that's all before even factoring in the "theatre" experience you don't have to deal with. No overpriced snacks, obnoxious people or even having to leave the comfort of your own home to watch it. Actually being able to pause the film when you need to get up and use the bathroom.

If I'm not mistaken, this isn't a "rental" type of deal, either. You pay for it, it gets added permanently to your library on Disney+. Someone correct me if I'm wrong there. But if so, that sounds fine to me. Normally a family would pay for a trip to the theatre then a few months later pay for the actual film again if they wanted to own it. In this case though, you pay the one time $30 fee upfront to see it "early" and own it "early". -and if you're not interested in doing so, you're welcome to wait until it ends up becoming free on the service down the line. With all the insanity happening in the world right now, I don't see how those options are a bad thing. This is a major release Disney was banking on, spent lots of money on and hoping would be a box office hit so of course they shouldn't just "give it away" at the insane value Disney+ already offers for it's library per month (-and growing).

So yeah, I guess if you're by yourself and want to watch the film on a less than stellar screen then $30 would be considered a rip off. For literally everyone else it's either a break even deal or a value without the hassle of the theatre going experience.

..all that said, I won't be paying it. Not because I don't think it's a bad deal, but because I didn't want to see the film to begin with. But my sister-in-law (who owns the account) did and probably will, which means I'll get to watch it too, if I choose to. But I would pay $30 to give myself and my family the chance to watch something like Black Widow right now if given the chance.
            "I take no side. I am beyond your worrying and wars. I am unseen. Unknowable. Like a rock in the river."

Comment

I don't think it's a deal for two. Granted, we're not fans of these remakes to begin with, but $30 to watch at home on top of our subscription fee seems excessive to me. For a family of 3 or more, sure, it becomes more palatable, but I think the condition that it's only yours as long as you subscribe to Disney + needs correcting.
              "I wish they all could be California Bears!"

Comment

Originally posted by Sun Bonnet View Post
                I don't think it's a deal for two. Granted, we're not fans of these remakes to begin with, but $30 to watch at home on top of our subscription fee seems excessive to me. For a family of 3 or more, sure, it becomes more palatable, but I think the condition that it's only yours as long as you subscribe to Disney + needs correcting.
                I suppose it depends where you live and average theatre ticket price. For two people (my wife and I) there would be two possible outcomes here if we were to view the film when it releases in theatres:

1) Continue paying for Disney+ subscription fee (going to regardless) then drive to the theatre and pay an average of 12.50 to 18.00 per person to view the film, plus snacks, etc. then wait for it to arrive later on Disney+ to "own" it or purchase the film itself in stores.

or

2) Continue paying for Disney+ subscription fee (going to regardless) then pay "$15 dollars each" to view the film at home and share it will all our friends and family and "own" it immediately on the streaming service.

If you're a Disney+ subscriber and plan to continue being one, the release on Disney+ makes a lot of sense to me. Though I suppose if you weren't subscribed and just really wanted to watch Mulan, you'd have to pay at least one month's worth of subscription fees (to start an account to view it at all) plus the $30 dollars to view the film.. which would probably run closer to $40 total when all is said and done. I suppose the commitment portion (aka, you must be a part of Disney plus to view the film) could be an issue for those not looking to make it or paying for other services. For them, it costs even more, which is a bummer. Maybe Disney should have made the decision to release it for $30 VOD on all OTHER services (thus broadening their buying audience) and then offered it up to Disney+ members at a reduced rate (maybe $20) to thank them for being members. But then they lose out on gaining those potentially sweet, sweet new memberships.

Given how much money they're losing because of the pandemic though, it doesn't surprise me that they'd attempt a hail mary and try to snag as many bucks as they can right now.
                "I take no side. I am beyond your worrying and wars. I am unseen. Unknowable. Like a rock in the river."

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-08-07 at 10.14.44 AM.png
Views:	42
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	8624412

Comment

I was not excited about this remake, and now it's a definite "I could care less if I ever see it".
                    BarbaraAnn

Comment

It will be free on Disney + in December.
                      "I wish they all could be California Bears!"

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X