X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disney To Ban Junk Food Ads

Disney bans junk-food advertising on programs for kids - latimes.com

Re: Disney To Ban Junk Food Ads

Too funny. This is the old corporate attitude of saying one thing but doing another. They will most definetely still sell junk food at the parks.

I see this type of thing at my company all the time. It's one of those hey look at us look at how great we are doing, oh don't look over there though because we are still trying to turn a profit the old way Sorry if I sound so jaded just that this type of message strikes a nerve with me.
    These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
    My company had a special night at the park
    WdW trip report with WWoHP
    NYE 2011 trip report
    Mice Chat 7th anniversary
    Leap year 24 hour report
    New DCA trip report
    NYE 2012
    HKDL trip report

Comment

I don't see anything inconsistent or hypocritical in their banning of ads, but selling of food/drink.

I think government and industry can and should be educational and informative regarding unhealthy food and drink, promoting health. But, ultimately, it's the parents responsibility to actually make sure their kids learn about and eat healthy food, not the government's or Disney's.

So Disney is promoting good health, but still leaving it up to the parents to teach their kids and buy whatever they want for them.

Teach but don't be a nanny.

Comment

yeah but doesnt go in effect till 2015
        sigpic

Comment

It is appalling that parents fall for it.
          DisneyTwins
          Since May 2003

Comment

Originally posted by Mojave View Post
            I don't see anything inconsistent or hypocritical in their banning of ads, but selling of food/drink.

I think government and industry can and should be educational and informative regarding unhealthy food and drink, promoting health. But, ultimately, it's the parents responsibility to actually make sure their kids learn about and eat healthy food, not the government's or Disney's.

So Disney is promoting good health, but still leaving it up to the parents to teach their kids and buy whatever they want for them.

Teach but don't be a nanny.
            It’s totally inconsistent and hypocritical! They place a total ban on less than healthy choices offered by their advertisers while at the same time celebrating these types of food at their theme parks. Just because they offer sliced apples with their deep fried corn dogs doesn’t make them industry leaders. You’re right about parents making decisions about what their kids eat, but this publicity grabbing, political stunt is nothing more than a self-righteous pile of nonsense. When they stop offering unhealthy food at the parks I'll believe they’re serious, I won’t like it, but I’ll believe it.

Comment

Proof that politics trumps economics
              "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
              - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

Comment

It's not that they don't want kids eating junk food..they just want to make sure kids are eating DISNEY'S junk food.

Why promote someone else when you sell the same products!
                "If you were thinking, you wouldn't have thought that"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 257 Mouse View Post
                  It’s totally inconsistent and hypocritical! They place a total ban on less than healthy choices offered by their advertisers while at the same time celebrating these types of food at their theme parks. Just because they offer sliced apples with their deep fried corn dogs doesn’t make them industry leaders. You’re right about parents making decisions about what their kids eat, but this publicity grabbing, political stunt is nothing more than a self-righteous pile of nonsense. When they stop offering unhealthy food at the parks I'll believe they’re serious, I won’t like it, but I’ll believe it.
                  I agree it's a gimmick to score political points. After all, it's connected with Michelle Obama.

But, once again, Disney is a business, and as long as their customers want unhealthy food, they'll sell it to them. As soon as parents stop buying their kids junk food and teach them that it is indeed unhealthy so that they don't buy it on their own, Disney will stop selling it.

That's the point I am making: educate and promote (and score political points along the way), but don't force, and don't hurt your business by not giving people what they want.

That said, if Disney felt from a business standpoint that it wouldn't hurt too much to sell only healthy food and they started doing that, I'd be the first in line to cheer the decision.

Comment

It's Disney exploiting the crap out of a craze. It's like this eco stuff (not saying its bad). Once people are more conscious about things... companies exploit that and brag about it. It works quite well.

There is no doubt politics played a part in this. Michelle is going after everything everyone eats... including toys in happy meals. Parents should be taking care of their children, not the government.
                    DisneyTwins
                    Since May 2003

Comment

Promote good food, but either make....Candy that is better for us....or leave me alone. I like to eat food sometimes that is not the best for me...sue me cookies taste great and I do like a good Salad but Disney would be crazy not to promote coke and Ice Cream they make bank off it
                      Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

Originally posted by WildForMrToad View Post
                        yeah but doesnt go in effect till 2015
                        Probably because they are waiting for existing contracts to run their course.

While they do offer the junk food, their trend has been to offer some healthier selections on their menus now. Unfortunately, there is a huge market for the junk in the park, so they really still need to carry that stuff from a business standpoint. However as the consumer demand changes, I could see junk food having less and less of a presence in the parks.
                        "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

Comment

Hear hear!

Comment

Originally posted by Disneytwins View Post
                            Parents should be taking care of their children, not the government.
                            The government is also there to protect people from themselves. This same attitude could be placed on hundreds upon hundreds of modern government regulations that have saved thousands upon thousands of lives. Assuming competency from parents is a reach unfortunately.

Comment

When I go to a Disney park, I'm on vacation, and when I'm on vacation, I like to take a break from my relatively strict healthy diet. I like to pig out once in a while, and I'm glad Disney gives me that option.

I personally don't see it as anything hypocritical. I don't ever feel like I've been advertised unhealthy food in the parks. I know that it's there, but that doesn't mean they're pushing it on me. In the parks it's more of a "walk up and see what's offered" type thing, and in that situation, no one is trying to edge you into picking the hamburger over the grilled chicken sandwich.

Photo Via jdhilger

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X