X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News Iger sticking around till 2018

Disney Extends CEO Bob Iger’s Contract Until 2018 - WSJ

What are your thoughts?
    Personally, I'm kind of glad he'll be around for a bit longer, despite what issues other MiceChatters have with him. Part of it is I don't know how confident I am in Tom Staggs or Jay Rasulo... I just don't know enough about either of them, especially Rasulo.

Re: Iger sticking around till 2018

Like George H.W. Bush (with Dan Quayle), George W. Bush (with Dick Chaney), and Barack Obama (with Joe Biden), Bob Iger has potential replacements (Jay Rasulo and Thomas Staggs) that no one really wants. Unlike presidents, Iger doesn't really have term limits, and he is the chairman of the board of directors that approves the company officers and their compensation packages.

One Micechatter predicted at least five times on different threads in recent years that the youthful Iger, with his excellent TV communication skills (built as he worked as a weatherman), would be extended as CEO.

The problem is that the short-term goal of Iger earning 35 million (give or take 15 million), a year for as long as possible is currently the ultimate goal of the Walt Disney Company. He does have better people skills than Michael Eisner did and--even though there is not a Roy Disney, Jr. among the shareholders--he is probably smart enough to not behave as Eisner did in the last 5-10 years of his 23 year tenure as CEO. So there might not be any letters like the one Roy published to Eisner that was so powerful to Disney's closest watchers. Then again he did appear to ignore the European petition by Disneyland Paris fans and former fans.

Comment

I've got no issue with Uncle Bob staying around for a few more years. He's not done a bad job in my opinion. Although the Paris situation that jcruise86 mentioned is certainly something that needs to be dealt with. Sure priorities are elsewhere at the moment, SDLR, but you can't let DLRP languish, the Mouse's European base is just as important.
      sigpic

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
      Walt Disney

Comment

He has to see Shanghai through then I think he will leave.

Comment

Originally posted by jcruise86 View Post
          Like George H.W. Bush (with Dan Quayle), George W. Bush (with Dick Chaney), and Barack Obama (with Joe Biden), Bob Iger has potential replacements (Jay Rasulo and Thomas Staggs) that no one really wants. Unlike presidents, Iger doesn't really have term limits, and he is the chairman of the board of directors that approves the company officers and their compensation packages.

One Micechatter predicted at least five times on different threads in recent years that the youthful Iger, with his excellent TV communication skills (built as he worked as a weatherman), would be extended as CEO.

The problem is that the short-term goal of Iger earning 35 million (give or take 15 million), a year for as long as possible is currently the ultimate goal of the Walt Disney Company. He does have better people skills than Michael Eisner did and--even though there is not a Roy Disney, Jr. among the shareholders--he is probably smart enough to not behave as Eisner did in the last 5-10 years of his 23 year tenure as CEO. So there might not be any letters like the one Roy published to Eisner that was so powerful to Disney's closest watchers. Then again he did appear to ignore the European petition by Disneyland Paris fans and former fans.
          Iger was a weatherman? Was that his first gig at ABC? I thought he was management from the start.

What European petition? I don't know anything about this... can you tell me more please?

Comment

I just looked up the Save Disneyland Paris petition...wow, as huge as a Disney geek/superfan as I am I can't believe I missed that, lol.

Did Iger issue any formal response to it?

Aside from the hotel refurbishments, upgrades to shows/parades, and Ratatouille at WDS, do you think the resort will get any more love?
            Last edited by Mondo Mouse; 10-03-2014, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mondo Mouse View Post
              Did Iger issue any formal response to it?
              Far as I remember, he personally didn't, I don't think his office did nor anyone in Burbank.

Originally posted by Mondo Mouse View Post
              Aside from the hotel refurbishments, upgrades to shows/parades, and Ratatouille at WDS, do you think the resort will get any more love?
              There's plenty of talk. At the least, a bit of placemaking, maybe a Marvel overlay here or there and at the best the prospect of two big attractions (Toy Story Mania being one) but nothing confirmed or even guaranteed.

They seem to know the park has issues, but getting it done seems to be a mammoth task.
              sigpic

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
              Walt Disney

Comment

Working...
              X