X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Chat] Iger Gets 35.5% Raise in 2014. Earns 46.5 Million

Disney’s Bob Iger Gets 35.5% Raise in 2014 to Earn $46.5 Million | Variety

A man who's brought SO much to the table in the company just got a huge raise. Personally, I think it's well deserved after all that's happened within the last few years. What's your thoughts on this?

Re: Iger Gets 35.5% Raise in 2014. Earns 46.5 Million

Personally I think no one is worth that kind of money. Call me a commie, I don't care...
    L + L = R

Comment

I think that huge increase is ridiculous. The CMs need some mighty raises.
      Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

Comment

Originally posted by jasmineray View Post
        Well at least one of the CMs got a mighty raise...

Comment

Last edited by DisneyIPresume; 01-17-2015, 08:38 AM. Reason: Duplicate post

Comment

Originally posted by jasmineray View Post
            I guess it's a differing view point, but I disagree to a point. The low level CM's do deserve a bit of a bump, yes. On a corporate level, this is a whole other ballpark. If you read the article, it shows that a lot of this is backed by performance and incentives. Essentially, it's similar to how actors make so much off a film. It's all money after the fact something went successful. Say a movie had a budget of $200 million, and Johnny Depp got $10mil to start, but in his contract, gets an added 20% of anything that the film makes back, plus royalties off of the home sales. It's akin to Iger getting his base salary, plus a bonus from the stocks as they rise, and again with incentives from successful buyouts of IP's, successful films, parks' well doing, etc.

Which means that: if Disney does well as a company, and since he's the Chief Executive Officer, and he's the one with the final call on anything and everything, then he gets a cut from that if it succeeds. Given that in his career at the company he's done the following: Bought out Marvel and Star Wars, added two new cruise ships to the company's fleet, expanded Animal Kingdom with Avatarland, brought in a new Fantasyland to WDW's Magic Kingdom, ontop of taking one of the company's worst theme parks and giving it a billion dollar second chance, while opening up Hong Kong Disneyland, giving that park some extra love by adding three lands, and then flying north to start building the company's largest theme park yet in Shanghai. Only to then also bring in one of the company's oldest concepts (Snow Queen) and it (really by chance on this one) turning into a mega-hit that is Frozen, alongside the yet to be completely announced, but we all know it's happening: billion dollar second chance for Hollywood Studios, additional things going on at Disneyland for the 60th and beyond, re-vamping Star Wars, and keeping Marvel on track.

So, given how he's been at the helm of ALL of that, while also working with other CEOs of other companies, gaining investors, harboring goodwill with Europe and Asia and also working on things in India as well (not talked about much, but their own Disney stuff is insane over there), his performance as a CEO has been quite impressive.

It saddens me to see so many criticize CEOs in general from any company as being 'detached' or 'sitting up in their posh offices counting their millions'...etc. I don't see that with Iger, because he's really brought the company around with a lot of things, and improved so many facets of it. Is it a lot of money? Of course. But it's based on what his performance was as a CEO. And for a man to climb the corporate ladder, move into Disney, fix all of Eisner's bad mistakes and then some, well, color me impressed.

Comment

46.5 mil is a lot of money, but he is making it honestly. I would assume he is investing much of it it in private secter enterprizes, creating and/or improving American jobs. He's definitely not trowing it away gambling or other things contrary to his being one of the hardest most talented workers Disney has ever had the privelge of hiring.

Who misses Eisnerd? Certainly not me. Hope Iger stays around for years to come. Although far from perfect, he's definitely a team player....a wonderul representative of the free enterprise system to the entire world. The company hasn't experienced such phenomenal growth and variety since Walt himself.
              To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Comment

I think he deserve the money very well. No different than famous actors/actress salary.

Comment

Originally posted by DLR92 View Post
                  I think he deserve the money very well. No different than famous actors/actress salary.
                  Right on! Very good point. Rock Star Bob is a movie star in his own right.
                  To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Comment

I hope he can construct sentences properly, but no, he doesn't deserve it.
                    Get back to me when a CEO has to pay a company when the stock price tanks.

Comment

Originally posted by visithor View Post
                      I hope he can construct sentences properly, but no, he doesn't deserve it.
                      Get back to me when a CEO has to pay a company when the stock price tanks.
                      Why not?

You're not going to see the stocks tank because he's done his job. That's the point of this conversation.

Comment

I don't think any CEO deserves that amount of money, especially if their employees are living in poverty. It should be a crime for them to pay their employees a minimum wage and give them minimal hours and then have the tax payer bail out their employees with food stamps, subsidized housing, health care, etc. In my opinion it is morally wrong and obscene.

Comment

Originally posted by Brisk View Post
                          Why not?

You're not going to see the stocks tank because he's done his job. That's the point of this conversation.

Iger was also shockingly (by European, Japanese and pre-Eisner American standards) compensated even in years when Disney stock was flat. (To Iger's credit, that seems like long ago.) The current ultimate goal of Disney is to make Iger as much money as possible for as long as possible. Naming two potential successors (Rasulo and Staggs) that no one wanted was an effective way to keep getting contract extensions, as was being both the CEO and the Chair of the Board that hires and compensates that CEO. He got Pixar/Lasseter, Marvel & Star Wars while Rasulo and Staggs were out front of the billion dollar plus MyMagic+. Did Iger, a tech expert, let Disney spend a billion so Rasulo and Staggs could be saddled with it, so he could keep making tens of millions a year?

If only Eisner had promoted the great Steve Burke (who went on to get Harry Potter majestically into Universal Orlando) instead of Paul Pressler, and Burke had become Disney's CEO after Eisner.

Then again, I've loved some of the Marvel movies, and Star Wars could surpass expectations since J.J. Abrams did a pretty great job with "Star Trek Into Darkness." Also, with a comfort in front of a TV camera he may have developed as a weatherman, Iger is a much better communicator than the more creative Michael Eisner, with far better people skills too. (See "Steve Jobs" by Walter Isaacson.)

Back to the first hand, I don't think Bob Iger's has been an impressive steward of Disney's 6 American theme parks/Orlando & Anaheim resorts. Apart from DCA's Carsland, the progress has been too slow and too little. I wish Disney maintained Walt's focus on the middle class. The 2015 Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World has a worthwhile essay about WDW's focus on the wealthiest Americans. Disney is not just a reflection of American capitalism, it helps lead it. The soaring American CEO packages were hatched partly at Disney with Eisner & Wells.

Still, excellent post with an impressive list, Brisk!

(Wouldn't it be cool if, after he retired, Iger revealed that he was Brisk
                          on Micechat?! Yes, it would be.)
                          Last edited by jcruise86; 01-20-2015, 07:09 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by jcruise86 View Post

Iger was also shockingly (by European, Japanese and pre-Eisner American standards) compensated even in years when Disney stock was flat. (To Iger's credit, that seems like long ago.) The current ultimate goal of Disney is to make Iger as much money as possible for as long as possible. Naming two potential successors (Rasulo and Staggs) that no one wanted was an effective way to keep getting contract extensions, as was being both the CEO and the Chair of the Board that hires and compensates that CEO. He got Pixar/Lasseter, Marvel & Star Wars while Rasulo and Staggs were out front of the billion dollar plus MyMagic+. Did Iger, a tech expert, let Disney spend a billion so Rasulo and Staggs could be saddled with it, so he could keep making tens of millions a year?

If only Eisner had promoted the great Steve Burke (who went on to get Harry Potter majestically into Universal Orlando) instead of Paul Pressler, and Burke had become Disney's CEO after Eisner.

Then again, I've loved some of the Marvel movies, and Star Wars could surpass expectations since J.J. Abrams did a pretty great job with "Star Trek Into Darkness." Also, with a comfort in front of a TV camera he may have developed as a weatherman, Iger is a much better communicator than the more creative Michael Eisner, with far better people skills too. (See "Steve Jobs" by Walter Isaacson.)

Back to the first hand, I don't think Bob Iger's has been an impressive steward of Disney's 6 American theme parks/Orlando & Anaheim resorts. Apart from DCA's Carsland, the progress has been too slow and too little. I wish Disney maintained Walt's focus on the middle class. The 2015 Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World has a worthwhile essay about WDW's focus on the wealthiest Americans. Disney is not just a reflection of American capitalism, it helps lead it. The soaring American CEO packages were hatched partly at Disney with Eisner & Wells.

Still, excellent post with an impressive list, Brisk!

(Wouldn't it be cool if, after he retired, Iger revealed that he was Brisk
                            on Micechat?! Yes, it would be.)

Right. And admittedly, Staggs wasn't ready at the point of his first potential time to retire. That alone was a big reason why he's staying on, so he can fine tune his 'little brother' into becoming a great CEO for the company.

You've got a great point towards the end, re: steward of the American parks. I think the reason for that though is the fact that they were and are able to stand for themselves for the time being, before they get touched up even more than what has happened (DCA 2.0, New Fantasyland, Avatarland, etc), because the attention needed to be focused more broadly to expand the company into new waters (having the first standalone resort without a theme park in Hawaii, and then also making the biggest, and probably best theme park in Shanghai). Let alone trying to help keep Paris out and clear of the red for as long as possible too, while then announcing TDL's new Fantasyland last fall.

In my humble opinion, I think Iger is laying a HUGE groundwork for Staggs to step into a run. Staggs is a father of two boys, and after purchasing Marvel and LucasFilms, now he's got the tools to run with two HUGE franchises to put them in the stateside parks in their respective areas (which we can discuss where those go at a different point in time), plus the Disney Channel, ABC, and movie stuff to go with both franchises.

Ultimately, I think the company is still headed in a wonderful direction, and in a few years once Iger departs, I believe Staggs could be an incredible CEO who will help continue to lead the company in amazing, wonderful new directions with the franchises at hand, alongside creating new original content and help keep the older original content alive and fresh.

And as for Iger being Brisk, well..that's for me to know if I am really him or not..

Comment

Originally posted by Brisk View Post
                              Right. And admittedly, Staggs wasn't ready at the point of his first potential time to retire. That alone was a big reason why he's staying on, so he can fine tune his 'little brother' into becoming a great CEO for the company.

You've got a great point towards the end, re: steward of the American parks. I think the reason for that though is the fact that they were and are able to stand for themselves for the time being, before they get touched up even more than what has happened (DCA 2.0, New Fantasyland, Avatarland, etc), because the attention needed to be focused more broadly to expand the company into new waters (having the first standalone resort without a theme park in Hawaii, and then also making the biggest, and probably best theme park in Shanghai). Let alone trying to help keep Paris out and clear of the red for as long as possible too, while then announcing TDL's new Fantasyland last fall.

In my humble opinion, I think Iger is laying a HUGE groundwork for Staggs to step into a run. Staggs is a father of two boys, and after purchasing Marvel and LucasFilms, now he's got the tools to run with two HUGE franchises to put them in the stateside parks in their respective areas (which we can discuss where those go at a different point in time), plus the Disney Channel, ABC, and movie stuff to go with both franchises.

Ultimately, I think the company is still headed in a wonderful direction, and in a few years once Iger departs, I believe Staggs could be an incredible CEO who will help continue to lead the company in amazing, wonderful new directions with the franchises at hand, alongside creating new original content and help keep the older original content alive and fresh.

And as for Iger being Brisk, well..that's for me to know if I am really him or not..
                              Staggs might be great in the Roy Disney, Sr./Frank Wells role of support for a creative leader of Disney. Burke/Staggs or Lasseter/Staggs, for examples. I'd like Brad Bird to earn an MBA & a Law Degree and be in charge if Lasseter can't.

Shanghai & Star Wars will both help determine Bob Iger's legacy. I wish him success in those. As a father, Iger might see the most important part of his legacy as how well he sets up his kids and grandkids, including ones yet to be born. I wonder if Walt' Disney's promotion of his son-in-law Ron Miller may have been even more about helping his family than helping the Disney company.
                              Last edited by jcruise86; 01-21-2015, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jcruise86 View Post
                                Staggs might be great in the Roy Disney, Sr./Frank Wells role of support for a creative leader of Disney. Burke/Staggs or Lasseter/Staggs, for examples. I'd like Brad Bird to earn an MBA & a Law Degree and be in charge if Lasseter can't.

Shanghai & Star Wars will both help determine Bob Iger's legacy. I wish him success in those. As a father, Iger might see the most important part of his legacy as how well he sets up his kids and grandkids, including ones yet to be born. I wonder if Walt' Disney's promotion of his son-in-law Ron Miller may have been even more about helping his family than helping the Disney company.
                                Great points, and good questions. It's definitely possible that they did that with Ron's family, all things considered.

Comment

Working...
                                X