Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• December 15th 1966 - A Sad Day

Indeed..

RIP, Walt! Your legacy will live on forever!

Comment

I recall that day ,I was in 6th grade........SAD DAY.................
      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Being a teen in that time, I remember exactly where I was when hearing the news of Walt Disney's death. While it wasn't the shock and outrage of two other "I remember exactly where I was" moments of that decade -- President Kennedy's assassination three years before and Dr. King's two years later -- it had a sense of loss and sadness that felt personal and profound. When Pirates and the new Tomorrowland opened the following year, and Haunted Mansion in '69, the jaw-dropping astonishment at their innovation was tinged with the knowledge that Walt never got to experience them in person.
        "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
        it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
        together with every variety of recreation and fun,
        designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
        - Michael Eisner

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
          Being a teen in that decade, I remember exactly where I was when hearing the news of Walt Disney's death. While it wasn't the shock of President Kennedy's assassination three years before, nor the outrage of Dr. King's assassination two years later, it had a sense of loss and sadness that felt personal and profound. When Pirates and the new Tomorrowland opened the following year, and Haunted Mansion in '69, the jaw-dropping astonishment at their innovation was tinged with the knowledge that Walt never got to experience them in person.
          YEP....
          I was AMAZING-when Pirates of the Caribbean -New Tomorrowland 1967-
          and
          Haunted Mansion in '69

It was like Walt was still around.......
          I Guess he was , in Spirit !

Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I was on a Grayhound bus from Fort Ord, Ca to Vancouver, Wa for 2 weeks leave. I was listening to my transistor radio (remember those?) when the news flash came on about Mr. Disney passing. I am not ashamed to admit that this tough 20 year old Soldier shed a tear or two.

Comment

Originally posted by Tallandcool View Post
              I was on a Grayhound bus from Fort Ord, Ca to Vancouver, Wa for 2 weeks leave. I was listening to my transistor radio (remember those?) when the news flash came on about Mr. Disney passing. I am not ashamed to admit that this tough 20 year old Soldier shed a tear or two.
              No Shame....Walt Disney .....was like a Uncle for so many..........
              I miss him mostly , on Sunday Night.....Watching him on TV
              Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

He was a genius. There was no one like him. As a former CM who had the pleasure and honor of working with those who had been at the park when he was still walking around the park, mingling with the Cast Members and guests, it was always such a treat to hear what a good man he was. Was he a taskmaster? Sure. But he also treated his CMs like family. I can't even imagine how hard it must have been for those who were working for him when he passed. I was only one year old when he passed, but I have a copy of Disneyland After Dark (or was it the Disneyland at the Holiday) episode that aired only a few days after he died. That must have been tough for our country to watch that night, knowing we had lost that special man we were seeing on our television sets. Am I the only one who still gets a little choked when seeing/hearing the opening credits for both the Wonderful World of Color and the Wonderful World of Disney with Tinkerbell? When visiting the Walt Disney Family Museum, the final corridor with all the magazine covers from around the world that showed their response to his passing is maybe the most moving part of a visit to the museum.

Comment

“It would take more time than anybody has around the daily news shops to think of the right thing to say about Walt Disney.

He was an original; not just an American original, but an original, period. He was a happy accident; one of the happiest this century has experienced; and judging by the way it’'s been behaving in spite of all Disney tried to tell it about laughter, love, children, puppies and sunrises, the century hardly deserved him.

He probably did more to heal or at least to soothe troubled human spirits than all the psychiatrists in the world. There can'’t be many adults in the allegedly civilized parts of the globe who did not inhabit Disney’'s mind and imagination at least for a few hours and feel better for the visitation.

It may be true, as somebody said, that while there is no highbrow in a lowbrow, there is some lowbrow in every highbrow. But what Walt Disney seemed to know was that while there is very little grown-up in a child, there is a lot of child in every grown-up. To a child, this weary world is brand new, gift wrapped; Disney tried to keep it that way for adults….

By the conventional wisdom, mighty mice, flying elephants, Snow White and Happy, Grumpy, Sneezy and Dopey, all these were fantasy, escapism from reality. It’'s a question of whether they are any less real, any more fantastic than intercontinental missiles, poisoned air, defoliated forests, and scraps from the moon. This is the age of fantasy, however you look at it, but Disney’'s fantasy wasn'’t lethal.

People are saying we'’ll never see his like again.”

Eric Sevareid
                  CBS Evening News
                  December 15, 1966

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                  it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                  together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                  designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                  - Michael Eisner

Comment