Get Away Today

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kudos to Disney on Georgia abortion law stance

LA Times: Disney may ditch Georgia over abortion law, Bob Iger says. Is Hollywood’s reticence over?

Georgia’s long-standing and lucrative relationship with the Walt Disney Co. could be headed for a break-up over the state’s new, restrictive abortion law.

For years Georgia has been a vital production hub for a string of Marvel Studios blockbusters because of its rich tax incentives and state-of-the-art studio facilities. Disney films such as “Black Panther” and “Avengers: Endgame” filmed there.

But on Wednesday, Disney Chief Executive Bob Iger signaled that the Burbank entertainment giant would be prepared to pull its business from the Peach state if its antiabortion law takes effect. In an interview with news service Reuters, Iger said it would be “very difficult” to continue filming in Georgia if the abortion law is implemented in January as planned. He cited Disney employees in his remarks.

“I rather doubt we will,” Iger said. “I think many people who work for us will not want to work there, and we will have to heed their wishes in that regard. Right now we are watching it very carefully.”

He added, “I don’t see how it’s practical for us to continue to shoot there” if the law takes effect.

Disney did not respond to a request for further comment.

Iger is the most powerful Hollywood figure yet to make a strong statement on the Georgia law, signed earlier this month by Gov. Brian Kemp, which bans abortions once a fetal heartbeat can be detected. (That can be as early as six weeks, before many women know they’re pregnant.) Georgia is one of many states that have recently passed antiabortion laws meant to eventually challenge Roe vs. Wade at the U.S. Supreme Court....

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
    it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
    together with every variety of recreation and fun,
    designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
    - Michael Eisner

Personally, I myself would never have had an abortion. I can say that easier now, since I am 71 years old. However, many young women in our country are faced with that problem every day, and they should have the right to choose what is best for them. No law should make that choice for them. I applaud Disney for this statement. Of course, right now it is just a statement. Time will tell, if they follow through on their words.
    BarbaraAnn

Comment

Working...
    X