Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News Disney CEO Iger Resigns From Apple Board

Disney Chairman and CEO Bob Iger on Friday announced his resignation from Apple's board of directors, a move that comes just two months before the two companies will go head-to-head in the highly competitive video streaming business.

Iger's departure was revealed in a U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission filing.

Speculation that Iger would be forced off Apple's board first surfaced in March when the two companies finalized plans to launch competing streaming services. Apple is due to debut Apple TV+ with a slate of original content on Nov. 1, while Disney will make its Disney+ product available less than two weeks later on Nov. 12.

Iger attempted to put rumors of an imminent withdrawal to bed during an interview in April, suggesting there would be no conflict of interest should he remain.

"Obviously I'm mindful of my fiduciary responsibility to Apple shareholders as a member of the board," Iger told Bloombergat the time. "When the subject is discussed at Apple board meetings, I'm careful to recuse myself, and I'm in constant dialogue about making sure that I'm not doing anything that in any way would essentially cause me to be wouldn't be in keeping with what an Apple board member would do."

The situation has apparently changed.

Iger joined Apple's board in 2011 and is credited with rebuilding relations between Disney and late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs' Pixar following unrest under former Disney CEO Michael Eisner. The current Disney chief was also pivotal in negotiating deals to sell content through the iTunes store.

Disney said it plans to make Disney+ available to owners of Apple hardware, including Apple TV set-top boxes, likely through a dedicated app that will launch alongside the service.”

All I can add is that rumors in the industry today ran rampant that Apple would be making a major acquisition in the content space soon to bolster its adventures into streaming. Does this have anything to do with Iger leaving Apples board? Who knows. Steve Jobs wife still owns a store sizable amount of Disney stock.

When I first read this my mind went to him resigning from Disney and I will admit I got excited, but then I realized what it said. The mind can play cruel jokes.

Though this probably puts more of a damper on the chance of Apple buying Disney which has been rumored off and on.

Comment

Originally posted by Disneyidol View Post
      Disney Chairman and CEO Bob Iger on Friday announced his resignation from Apple's board of directors, a move that comes just two months before the two companies will go head-to-head in the highly competitive video streaming business.

Iger's departure was revealed in a U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission filing.

Speculation that Iger would be forced off Apple's board first surfaced in March when the two companies finalized plans to launch competing streaming services. Apple is due to debut Apple TV+ with a slate of original content on Nov. 1, while Disney will make its Disney+ product available less than two weeks later on Nov. 12.

Iger attempted to put rumors of an imminent withdrawal to bed during an interview in April, suggesting there would be no conflict of interest should he remain.

"Obviously I'm mindful of my fiduciary responsibility to Apple shareholders as a member of the board," Iger told Bloombergat the time. "When the subject is discussed at Apple board meetings, I'm careful to recuse myself, and I'm in constant dialogue about making sure that I'm not doing anything that in any way would essentially cause me to be wouldn't be in keeping with what an Apple board member would do."

The situation has apparently changed.

Iger joined Apple's board in 2011 and is credited with rebuilding relations between Disney and late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs' Pixar following unrest under former Disney CEO Michael Eisner. The current Disney chief was also pivotal in negotiating deals to sell content through the iTunes store.

Disney said it plans to make Disney+ available to owners of Apple hardware, including Apple TV set-top boxes, likely through a dedicated app that will launch alongside the service.”

All I can add is that rumors in the industry today ran rampant that Apple would be making a major acquisition in the content space soon to bolster its adventures into streaming. Does this have anything to do with Iger leaving Apples board? Who knows. Steve Jobs wife still owns a store sizable amount of Disney stock.
      Not to surprising
      Also my understand what I have read.....that the Job Family is planning to sell certain amount , of there Disney stocks
      If this true or not.......I not sure

I'm sure that IGER would have been force
      off Apple's board....
      There to many conflict of interest !

Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Starcade View Post
        When I first read this my mind went to him resigning from Disney and I will admit I got excited, but then I realized what it said. The mind can play cruel jokes.
        Same lol

Comment

Originally posted by Starcade View Post
          Yep our mind ,can do strange things
          like= running to 99 cents store , get ready for a celebration party !!
          Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Iger leaving Apple's board is good and bad news

Its good for the economy, as it forces Disney and Apple to compete, instead of controlling the market with their pricing.

It's bad for Pixar. Apple and Disney appears to have been silent partners with each other for sometime, with Steve Jobs being the major stakeholder for Pixar up til his death. And conveniently enough, Pixar uses Apple computers for their animation. Coincidence?

And while Steve Jobs's widow (Laurene Powell Jobs) does hold the majority of Disney's shares, I would not be surprised if she sold some or all of her shares, before Iger left office. With Fox now part of Disney, and Disney set for a new CEO by 2021, it means her shares are highly valued assets, as they could determine Iger's successor.
            Last edited by Spongeocto4; 09-13-2019, 05:09 PM. Reason: Misspelled 'assets'

Comment

Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post
              It's bad for Pixar. Apple and Disney appears to have been silent partners with each other for sometime, with Steve Jobs being the major stakeholder for Pixar up til his death. And conveniently enough, Pixar uses Apple computers for their animation. Coincidence?
              In all fairness, literally every single creative shop in America uses Macs for design.

But it is just another cherry on top of their whole partnership.

Comment

Working...
              X