Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shanghai Disney Opens May 11

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/05/shan...on-may-11.html

So if Shanghai DL closed Jan 25th and is reopening May 11th, which is about 4 months, I wonder if the US parks will follow suit and open around July. I know a lot of people feel that implementing sanitation/social distancing measures at Disney will take away from the “magic”, and I totally understand that. But for me personally, I would love the opportunity to go as soon as it’s open <3 My fam and I will be SO grateful and excited to visit again!! It might be neat to be there with 30% capacity too

Comment

I really wonder how this will go over here. I mentioned in another post....citizens in countries in Shanghai's part of the world are FAR more willing to listen to guidelines and advice from government bodies, and I imagine compliance for the rules in the parks will probably be pretty high. I wonder if that same compliance will happen in the American parks. Disney is so reticent to cause a fuss and kick people out, will that stance change if someone refuses to wear a mask? or doesn't bother practicing social distancing rules? What does Disney do if someone comes to a CM irate that another guest was coughing and not wearing a mask....what if that person complaining tests positive for Covid-19 at some point? (even if they did not get it at the parks). I imagine that won't go over well.

The dated tickets also raise a very interesting conundrum in Anaheim. How do you manage the tens of thousands of guests...if not hundreds of thousands depending on how long this goes on for, booked into good neighbor hotels with tickets, flights, and hotels already paid for. If they have a ticket in hand, how do you give them a date when they are already purchased? Are guests going to have to call and give proof of a hotel stay? I can't imagine telling a family booked and ready to go "sorry you didn't qualify for that day's tickets" when they are booked into a hotel for three days and have a ticket for three days, it's not like they can just get a refund on all of that.

And what about APs? If you are going to dated tickets is that program as it stands now effectively over? I got the sense the Flex pass was the way of the future, but this seems to have made it the way of the present. Dated tickets are different than just lowering capacity, the program is designed to prevent a massive crowd from forming at opening hoping to be the "lucky ones" to enter, so we aren't talking about APs being able to show up early enough to beat the capacity limit. Disney will need to introduce something, because there is no way they will ever stay below purported capacity limit if APs can still just show up and enter.

Comment

Originally posted by linkeq2001 View Post
        And what about APs? If you are going to dated tickets is that program as it stands now effectively over? I got the sense the Flex pass was the way of the future, but this seems to have made it the way of the present. Dated tickets are different than just lowering capacity, the program is designed to prevent a massive crowd from forming at opening hoping to be the "lucky ones" to enter, so we aren't talking about APs being able to show up early enough to beat the capacity limit. Disney will need to introduce something, because there is no way they will ever stay below purported capacity limit if APs can still just show up and enter.
        In Shanghai, they are requiring AP's to also make a Reservation. They are also following whatever Blockout dates may exist, to further limit the # of AP's that are eligible to make a Reservation. Since they are not counting this Limited Opening period towards someone's AP time, they are not penalizing any AP's who might be unable to make a Reservation.

I imagine with the Flex Passes, they'll just severely limit the # of Flex Reservations available, and once those are taken, no more will be able to make one for that day.

Comment

I hate to say it, because as an American I love America, but China may be in a different position than the US relative to the virus. Until widespread vaccination or an effective treatment is found, the only known way to prevent increasing cases (that is, to keep the average number of people infected by one sick person under one) is social distancing, facemasks etc. PLUS widespread testing (enough to know where new cases, even asymptomatic ones are occurring), contact tracing and quarantine. China has gotten their new case rate low enough that the second part is feasible. The US has so many new cases daily that I don't know the second part is feasible. I hope it is. We certainly have yet to show the capability to have enough testing. And opening up parts of the country while new cases are increasing in those regions isn't helping.

Comment

Disneyland in Anaheim should just allow guests who already own APs to visit the parks for the first 6 or so weeks after it re-opens
            to thank them for their devotion to Disney
            and because this would shrink the pool of potential visitors, since they'll have to admit fewer guests.

I guess they could just sell the most expensive APs in this gradual re-opening time and admit them along with those who already hold APs (maybe ones that last for a month or three) because Disney does need to make money. Occasionally rich people can be useful, and like Cartman's park, the exclusively might attract many. Disneyland could temporarily be more of a Veblen Good, and wealthy people could see themselves as heroic by visiting Disneyland.

If Disney hasn't already ordered hundreds of thousands of masks (that fit different lands at Disneyland and Walt Disney World), they are astonishingly stupid.

On another thread a Micechatter wrote in several posts that he wouldn't want to visit the parks if cast members were wearing masks because it would detract from his magical fantasy experience. Are we allowed to swear on Micechat, and if so, which swear words may I use? Can we please make this one exception to the rule against insulting fellow Micechatters?

And guests should all have to wear masks through October, when some experts believe it might come back. It's weird not knowing more this virus, isn't it? We have to be more like the Japanese, where many have been wearing masks for years (especially if they have a cold), and where they bow. Bowing now seems cool and smart to me.

Remember, we are much better off than Americans were during the 1918 flu. It killed 800,000 Americans when the population was MUCH smaller (about 104 million vs. about 328 million today), and--pardon the personification--that 1918 flu seemed to go out of its way to kill young, previously healthy people.

Comment

Weird that this is re-directed even though most of it directly pertains to DLR's opening, seems like someone did not read anything other than the title.

I highly doubt that it will just be open to APs. DLR hotel guests would already be booked, and at that point since things are open airlines would likely not be offering refunds or vouchers to out of towners which the park will also need to manage

Comment

I highly doubt that it will just be open to APs. DLR hotel guests would already be booked, and at that point since things are open airlines would likely not be offering refunds or vouchers to out of towners which the park will also need to manage
                With some states re-opening while their infection rate is still increasing, how safe is domestic tourism right now? I don't know why hotels are even taking bookings at this time. This situation is such a mess.

This thread reminded me to call and request a refund for my AP during the blockout. I miss the park so much I actually have had dreams about it, but I'm not going anywhere near the park until there's a vaccine. Looking at how some people are behaving over being asked to wear a mask is so frightening and depressing. Just walking around my own neighborhood, no one is wearing a mask but me so I have stopped walking in the neighborhood and walk and jog in circles in my backyard instead. I find you just can't trust that everyone will wear a mask or social distance and Disney has never been very good at enforcing behaviors. I wish mask wearing - and bowing, as jcruise suggested - would become commonplace here, but it looks like some people aren't going to let that happen.
                "I wish they all could be California Bears!"

Comment

Originally posted by Sun Bonnet View Post

With some states re-opening while their infection rate is still increasing, how safe is domestic tourism right now? I don't know why hotels are even taking bookings at this time. This situation is such a mess.

This thread reminded me to call and request a refund for my AP during the blockout. I miss the park so much I actually have had dreams about it, but I'm not going anywhere near the park until there's a vaccine. Looking at how some people are behaving over being asked to wear a mask is so frightening and depressing. Just walking around my own neighborhood, no one is wearing a mask but me so I have stopped walking in the neighborhood and walk and jog in circles in my backyard instead. I find you just can't trust that everyone will wear a mask or social distance and Disney has never been very good at enforcing behaviors. I wish mask wearing - and bowing, as jcruise suggested - would become commonplace here, but it looks like some people aren't going to let that happen.
                  I think you answered your question. Domestic tourism is very Unsafe right now. Americans are a very self-centered bunch. A vast amount, not necessarily the majority, have a "who cares" attitude. Even apparently where it concerns a proven deadly virus. The U.S. had a fraction of the lockdown restrictions that countries like China & Italy had. There is a push by some to act like this can now be put behind us, and move right into the Recovery stage. It's kind of like an alcoholic going through a 12 step program, but asking whether they can just skip over some of the steps, so they can resume their normal life once more.

Now that Shanghai is opening, I expect the drumbeats to start up in the U.S., as to when Orlando & Anaheim will be doing the same. Hopefully Disney does not jump the gun, and they act responsibly before letting guests in again. Restrictions on # of people is a good solution, and is a given. But I still think we're months away from the parks being a safe place to go, surrounded by thousands of other guests. Perhaps since CA seems to have responsible leadership, Disney won't be given the go ahead until the right time. I just feel as if the haphazard response on a national level, is what could pose a problem, especially if the virus continues spreading during the summer. If the U.S. is still seeing thousands of daily cases in July/August/September, I don't see any way CA will approve the parks opening. I expect FL will probably act differently, given their more laid back attitude towards this virus over the past weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalDisneyFan View Post
                    I think you answered your question. Domestic tourism is very Unsafe right now. Americans are a very self-centered bunch. A vast amount, not necessarily the majority, have a "who cares" attitude. Even apparently where it concerns a proven deadly virus. The U.S. had a fraction of the lockdown restrictions that countries like China & Italy had. There is a push by some to act like this can now be put behind us, and move right into the Recovery stage. It's kind of like an alcoholic going through a 12 step program, but asking whether they can just skip over some of the steps, so they can resume their normal life once more.

Now that Shanghai is opening, I expect the drumbeats to start up in the U.S., as to when Orlando & Anaheim will be doing the same. Hopefully Disney does not jump the gun, and they act responsibly before letting guests in again. Restrictions on # of people is a good solution, and is a given. But I still think we're months away from the parks being a safe place to go, surrounded by thousands of other guests. Perhaps since CA seems to have responsible leadership, Disney won't be given the go ahead until the right time. I just feel as if the haphazard response on a national level, is what could pose a problem, especially if the virus continues spreading during the summer. If the U.S. is still seeing thousands of daily cases in July/August/September, I don't see any way CA will approve the parks opening. I expect FL will probably act differently, given their more laid back attitude towards this virus over the past weeks.
                    Really good post. In reference to the section I highlighted, here's a Chapek quote from an article posted in another thread:

"Though there is no timetable for reopening U.S. parks, Chapek suggested that the company would go slowly, and also not reopen if executives weren’t confident visitors would follow.

'We would not reopen any park until we can make a positive contribution to overhead and operating-profit level,' he said.

Chapek did say that Shanghai Disneyland will open on Monday. He said contact tracing, social-distancing and 'early detection systems' will be among the tools used to limit virus exposure. Masks will be given to staff and guests, he said.

The opening will serve as a test case for potential U.S. re-openings in Florida and California, particularly on the issue of capacity. The Chinese government is mandating a capacity limit of about 30 percent, or 24,000 of the roughly 80,000 people who visit the park daily. The first few weeks will see Disney cap the number at below even that, Chapek said, as staffers work out the new protocols."

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                    it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                    together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                    designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                    - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                    - Bob Chapek

Comment

. . . I highly doubt that it will just be open to APs. DLR hotel guests would already be booked, and at that point since things are open airlines would likely not be offering refunds or vouchers to out of towners which the park will also need to manage
                      Good point.

This is all interesting as in in the Chinese curse, "May you live in interesting times." Thank God I'm an introvert with a family, three cats and a Golden Retriever at home.

Pardon another random thoughts, but a lot of AP holders who went to Disneyland every weekend might appreciate the parks more after they've been kept out for a while.

Sun Bonnet, over the years there have been some interesting posts about Disney park dreams on Micechat (& maybe Mouseplanet). You're not alone.

Comment

In Shanghai they're not counting the time during the re-opening against your AP time. So any visit you make is basically a bonus visit. Since that's the case, they will Absolutely figure out a way to limit visits, regardless of the pass type you have. Someone with a Premier pass will have the same opportunity and limit as someone with a So Cal pass, and since it's not counting against the days you paid for, people won't be able to complain they're not able to go every day, even with a higher level pass.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X