Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Surprise, surprise: Iger to stay on through 2021

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Surprise, surprise: Iger to stay on through 2021

    LA Times: Disney extends CEO Bob Iger's contract through 2021

    A quote:

    Walt Disney Co. said Thursday it has extended the contract of Chairman and Chief Executive Bob Iger through December 2021, locking in a 16-year run leading the Burbank entertainment juggernaut.

    The move, which had been expected, came as Disney announced its $52.4-billion deal to buy much of 21st Century Fox’s media assets. It appears to rule out a presidential bid by Iger — at least for 2020 — which some observers had been anticipating.

    Terms of his contract extension were not immediately available. In fiscal 2016, Iger’s total compensation was $43.9 million.

    Disney said Iger was staying “at the request of both 21st Century Fox and the Disney board of directors.”


    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

    - Neil Gabler

    "I didn't know the story of baby Jesus could be any better,
    until Thor told it to me."
    -
    Young girl at Disneyland's 2017 Candlelight Ceremony

  • #2
    Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    LA Times: Disney extends CEO Bob Iger's contract through 2021

    A quote:

    Walt Disney Co. said Thursday it has extended the contract of Chairman and Chief Executive Bob Iger through December 2021, locking in a 16-year run leading the Burbank entertainment juggernaut.

    The move, which had been expected, came as Disney announced its $52.4-billion deal to buy much of 21st Century Fox’s media assets. It appears to rule out a presidential bid by Iger — at least for 2020 — which some observers had been anticipating.

    Terms of his contract extension were not immediately available. In fiscal 2016, Iger’s total compensation was $43.9 million.

    Disney said Iger was staying “at the request of both 21st Century Fox and the Disney board of directors.”



    I feel SICK......~~
    Now watch how many will lose there JOB s from both company's.....and Iger is staying “at the request of both 21st Century Fox and the Disney board of directors.”
    Soaring like an EAGLE !

    Comment


    • #3
      If the deal go all the way, DISNEY will be Whole New Company !
      Make no mistake
      Soaring like an EAGLE !

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
        LA Times: Disney extends CEO Bob Iger's contract through 2021

        A quote:

        Walt Disney Co. said Thursday it has extended the contract of Chairman and Chief Executive Bob Iger through December 2021, locking in a 16-year run leading the Burbank entertainment juggernaut.

        The move, which had been expected, came as Disney announced its $52.4-billion deal to buy much of 21st Century Fox’s media assets. It appears to rule out a presidential bid by Iger — at least for 2020 — which some observers had been anticipating.

        Terms of his contract extension were not immediately available. In fiscal 2016, Iger’s total compensation was $43.9 million.

        Disney said Iger was staying “at the request of both 21st Century Fox and the Disney board of directors.”

        'FACEPALM'

        Now, back to main topic:

        Granted, Iger is doing better than Eisner, but the board is REALLY pushing it.

        I understand, why they extended a year on the original contract, as the sale may not be done until June 2019, which was when Iger's 4.0 contract was done. But, there was NO need to add another year after that (no offense, Iger).

        They need to face the inevitable, that they will need a new CEO/CFO eventually. One of the flaw's of this company, is the need to constantly perfect and re-perfect the planned product. And that is what they are doing here.

        They now have an 3 years to come up with a new CEO/CFO. So far we had Rasulo, Staggs, and Sweeney*. Now we have Chapek or Murdoch Jr. How many more potential candiates do we need?

        *Source below
        Bob Iger’s favorite song must be Rick Astley’s “Never Gonna Give You Up.” The Walt Disney CEO looks set to extend his contract at the Mouse House once...

        Comment


        • #5
          Ummm...Why would the board of a company get rid of someone who is continually making them money and in the future will continue to make them money...

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by reswob View Post
            Ummm...Why would the board of a company get rid of someone who is continually making them money and in the future will continue to make them money...
            I think some people are concerned that he could go the way of Eisner. Or it could be the "out with old, in with the new" mantra, as Iger has been CEO for 12 years, and will last for a total of 16 by 2021. He's also been the president of the company, since 2000!

            My personal issue, is how it seems like the board is reluctant for Iger to retire. Are they worried another decline will occur?

            Comment


            • #7
              Makes perfect sense, Rupert Murdoch isn't a stupid man and he knows this arrangement is better for his bottom line in this deal. Insisting as part of the deal that Iger stay on assures Murdoch he has a loyal player on the Disney end.

              Murdoch is brilliant, and what Disney doesn't see in this is that Murdoch is already looking at the future and diminished margins in the type of big studio entertainment 21 Century Fox has been in, and keeping the News and Sports is smart. But Disney will be quick to lean out the two studios and the downside for some will be thousands of lay-off notices in the coming year. However the upside might mean a Simpson's Land in the works. Maybe they could replace Toontown with Simpsons?

              Comment


              • #8
                A Simpson’s Ride - like this?
                Jim in Merced CA - former cast member at Walt Disney World, Walt Disney Imagineering and Disneyland.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Whipland View Post
                  Insisting as part of the deal that Iger stay on assures Murdoch he has a loyal player on the Disney end.
                  Gotta be joking, right? The idea that Iger is a "loyal player to Murdoch" is too funny for words. Murdoch's name is permanently associated with the most toxic, sexually abusive management culture in television history. He's selling while the selling is good. Disney is in the catbird seat on this deal -- and they aren't touching his toxic Fox News Division.

                  Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 12-16-2017, 11:52 AM.
                  "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
                  Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
                  imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

                  - Neil Gabler

                  "I didn't know the story of baby Jesus could be any better,
                  until Thor told it to me."
                  -
                  Young girl at Disneyland's 2017 Candlelight Ceremony

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Whipland View Post
                    Makes perfect sense, Rupert Murdoch isn't a stupid man and he knows this arrangement is better for his bottom line in this deal. Insisting as part of the deal that Iger stay on assures Murdoch he has a loyal player on the Disney end.

                    Murdoch is brilliant, and what Disney doesn't see in this is that Murdoch is already looking at the future and diminished margins in the type of big studio entertainment 21 Century Fox has been in, and keeping the News and Sports is smart. But Disney will be quick to lean out the two studios and the downside for some will be thousands of lay-off notices in the coming year. However the upside might mean a Simpson's Land in the works. Maybe they could replace Toontown with Simpsons?
                    Technically, Fox News, Fox Sports and Fox Network Channel cannot be part of the buyout as government regulations prevent that from happening. Oddly enough, Disney will own the TV programming on the main channel, but not the channel itself.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

                      Gotta be joking, right? The idea that Iger is a "loyal player to Murdoch" is too funny for words. Murdoch's name is permanently associated with the most toxic, sexually abusive management culture in television history. He's selling while the selling is good. Disney is in the catbird seat on this deal -- and they aren't touching his toxic Fox News Division.
                      You are getting into the weeds Wiggins, and besides Murdoch fired everyone who did those things. But in case you haven't been paying attention, a lot of bad behavior has occurred at NBC, Weinstein, PBS and other places as well. The issue you bring up is not limited to one company and individuals are responsible for the bad behavior, not the entire company.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X