Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My blu_ray player won't play the "Star Wars" discs

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • My blu_ray player won't play the "Star Wars" discs

    Does anyone else have this problem? I put the disc in and I get a notice saying my player should be updated. I contacted Best Buy's help line and they looked up my TV/blu-ray combo and said my player can't be updated. Also, I can't return the discs because I opened the box.

    Other than buying a new player, what can I do? Also, this makes me very leery about buying blu-raw discs in the future.
    Last edited by Not My Real Name; 03-19-2012, 11:13 AM. Reason: spelling
    Everyone is entitled to an informed opinion.
    Harlan Ellison

    I may not be the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree, but I do shine.

    Texan by birth, Californian by choice.

    There should be a sticky thread called "This Day in Disney History." The company has a long history and this would be a good way to acknowledge it. Walt was born 112 years ago; that's quite a chunk of American history and culture.

  • #2
    Re: My blu_ray player won't play the "Star Wars" discs

    Originally posted by Not My Real Name View Post
    Does anyone else have this problem? I put the disc in and I get a notice saying my player should be updated. I contacted Best Buy's help line and they looked up my TV/blu-ray combo and said my player can't be updated. Also, I can't return the discs because I opened the box.

    Other than buying a new player, what can I do? Also, this makes me very leery about buying blu-raw discs in the future.
    What type of combo player is it and does it have a network connection? Most players do support firmware updates, but you will likely have to do it yourself.

    Yancy

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: My blu_ray player won't play the "Star Wars" discs

      Yah, go to the website and download the firmware onto your computer. You can burn it onto a disc and load it into your player that way.

      For example, I have a sony blu-ray player. I go to the sony website and go to the downloads/support and get the latest firmware.

      Load it onto a disc.

      Put it into your blu-ray player and it should begin to load.


      After that, you should be all good. Periodically check for updates for best performance.


      Visit my mice chat toy shop!
      http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

      Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
      http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: My blu_ray player won't play the "Star Wars" discs

        not much help without talking model specifics...

        but blu-ray format had a lot more room to do things.. and early players were pretty underwelming in performing well. A new good player is only like $130... compared to the $300 plus the previous generations were and the new one will do more and perform better.

        My $300 sony pretty much blows IMO - but I know the newer ones will be better.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: My blu_ray player won't play the "Star Wars" discs

          Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
          not much help without talking model specifics...

          but blu-ray format had a lot more room to do things.. and early players were pretty underwelming in performing well. A new good player is only like $130... compared to the $300 plus the previous generations were and the new one will do more and perform better.

          My $300 sony pretty much blows IMO - but I know the newer ones will be better.

          Yeah, that's why I always recommend that if you're serious about making the move to Blu-Ray and plan to invest money in a movie collection then you should pick up a PS3. Sony ALWAYS makes sure the PS3 has the latest and greatest firmware fixes. In fact during the early days of the format wars many manufacturers we quite vocal in their complaints that the PS3 seemed to get preferential treatment while other manufacturers and their players were treated like red headed step-children. One of the big problems with BD vs HD-DVD was that unlike HD-DVD, Blu-Ray manufacturers did not have specification standards they had to meet.

          For example many of the early players were not Java capable because it was not a required standard, even though it was understood disc menus would eventually be Java driven. Early players struggled with films like "3:10 to Yuma" or many Disney movies with Java menus. The Pirates java driven game of "Dead Man's Dice" was completely useless unless you had a PS3. Over the course of the last few years the PS3 has always been the most reliable Blu-Ray player... but it is pricey.

          Unfortunately I suspect your combo player is in that gray area and is probably not supported like other machines. Manufacturers tend to treat combo players as cast offs and rarely provide firmware updates. But I would definitely check with the manufacturer's web site to verify this.

          Yancy

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: My blu_ray player won't play the "Star Wars" discs

            This is why the PS3 is still the best Blu Ray player (IMO).

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: My blu_ray player won't play the "Star Wars" discs

              Thanks for the help, everyone. My combo is an Insignia, which I understand is the Best Buy brqnd, which is why I contacted Best Buy for help. It's a 32-inch 1080p I bought last year.

              I don't have my own computer; I post from either the public library or the El Camino College library.

              I can afford a new Blu-ray player but not a PS3 and since I'm not a gamer, that would be a an expensive Blu-ray player, so it looks like I'll buy another player.

              SIGH
              Everyone is entitled to an informed opinion.
              Harlan Ellison

              I may not be the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree, but I do shine.

              Texan by birth, Californian by choice.

              There should be a sticky thread called "This Day in Disney History." The company has a long history and this would be a good way to acknowledge it. Walt was born 112 years ago; that's quite a chunk of American history and culture.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: My blu_ray player won't play the "Star Wars" discs

                ^ Gamer or not, it's still the best Blu Ray player. Throw in the fact that you can get Netflix, Hulu Plus and Vudu on it and it makes it even better.

                And even as a non-gamer, I'm sure you could find a couple of games you'd like to play to make it worthwhile.

                I've never had an issue playing any Blu Ray, the software is ALWAYS up to date and if I ever did decide I liked 3D (I don't) and bought a 3D TV (I won't) it also plays 3D Blu Rays.

                But that may be a selling point for you.

                (and no, I don't work for Sony, and was just like you when the PS3 came out ... I didn't "get it" until I got one)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: My blu_ray player won't play the "Star Wars" discs

                  Originally posted by Not My Real Name View Post
                  Thanks for the help, everyone. My combo is an Insignia, which I understand is the Best Buy brqnd, which is why I contacted Best Buy for help. It's a 32-inch 1080p I bought last year.

                  I don't have my own computer; I post from either the public library or the El Camino College library.

                  I can afford a new Blu-ray player but not a PS3 and since I'm not a gamer, that would be a an expensive Blu-ray player, so it looks like I'll buy another player.

                  SIGH
                  What model is your Insignia? I can take a look for you and post it if I find it.


                  Yancy

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: My blu_ray player won't play the "Star Wars" discs

                    Thanks for your offer, Yancy. I won't be back here till Friday, so I'll "see" you then.
                    Everyone is entitled to an informed opinion.
                    Harlan Ellison

                    I may not be the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree, but I do shine.

                    Texan by birth, Californian by choice.

                    There should be a sticky thread called "This Day in Disney History." The company has a long history and this would be a good way to acknowledge it. Walt was born 112 years ago; that's quite a chunk of American history and culture.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: My blu_ray player won't play the "Star Wars" discs

                      Sorry about the delay, but Real Life kept getting in the way.

                      Anyway, my combo's model number is: NS-LBD32X-10A Hope that helps.
                      Everyone is entitled to an informed opinion.
                      Harlan Ellison

                      I may not be the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree, but I do shine.

                      Texan by birth, Californian by choice.

                      There should be a sticky thread called "This Day in Disney History." The company has a long history and this would be a good way to acknowledge it. Walt was born 112 years ago; that's quite a chunk of American history and culture.

                      Comment

                      Ad Widget

                      Collapse
                      Working...
                      X