• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: JJ Abrams to Direct Episode VII

Episodes 7, 8, and 9 are NOT "franchise reboots."

Comment

Hopefully this means JJ won't be doing Trek anymore. He's a Star Wars guy at heart and trying to make Kirk into Han Solo is not Trek. JJ's first Trek movie was entertaining but it wasn't Trek at its heart; it was a good space action movie that happened to feature iconic Star Trek characters. He should be good for Star Wars though.

Comment

This will probably be his last Trek movie from what I'm guessing. He'll probably hand it over to someone else after this

Originally posted by Retrocool View Post
        Episodes 7, 8, and 9 are NOT "franchise reboots."
        After episodes 1-3, I dont blame people for wanting to 'reboot' that crap
        There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
        -Dr. Strange

Comment

Loved Star Trek so I'm eager to see what he can do with a
          new franchise. So long as he keeps everyone who has already died in the previous movies dead (especially Darth Vader) and doesn't have Jar Jar Binks in it ill be happy no matter hhow many lens flares there are.

Comment

Didn't the cast and crew sign on for two more Star Trek movies after the sucess of the first J.J.Abrams movie?
            Current coaster count: 179
            100th coaster: Phantom's Revenge at Kennywood
            150th coaster: Intimidator at Carowinds
            last new park addition: Six Flags Great America

Comment

The current Star Trek crew are signed up for three movies so they're under contract for one more after the May release. I guess we'll have to wait and see how Into Darkness does at the box office, though JJ and others have said they were looking to do three and be done.

Comment

Next up on JJ's plate... Spaceballs 2: The Sequel!

Actually, I could go for another Spaceballs...

Comment

^ If I remember the movie right, Yogurt said "and we'll all get back together again for Spaceballs 2: The Search for More Money"
                  Current coaster count: 179
                  100th coaster: Phantom's Revenge at Kennywood
                  150th coaster: Intimidator at Carowinds
                  last new park addition: Six Flags Great America

Comment

Re: J.J. Abrams to direct Star Wars

Originally posted by stevek View Post
                    It all starts with the script. If it's good, Abrams will do it justice. If it's Phantom Menace or Attack of the Clones...not sure anyone could help those.
                    Michael Arndt, writer of Toy Story 3 and Little Miss Sunshine is handling the writing duties. I think the script won't be a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by indianajack View Post
                      The current Star Trek crew are signed up for three movies so they're under contract for one more after the May release. I guess we'll have to wait and see how Into Darkness does at the box office, though JJ and others have said they were looking to do three and be done.
                      Latest report I saw, had JJ returning to produce, but not necessarily locked into direct the next Trek sequel. As much as paramount will want another Box Office Blockbuster, as you say, nothing will be sure until figures come in from this year's release.

1. Disneyland 1997;
                      2. Disneyland Resort 2008; 3. Hong Kong Disneyland 2009; 4. Disneyland Resort 2009; 5. Disneyland Resort 2010; 6. WaltDisneyWorld Resort 2011; 7. Disney Cruise Lines 2011 - Disney Dream; 8. Disneyland Resort 2011; 9. Disneyland Resort 2012; 10. WaltDisneyWorld Resort 2012; 11. Disney Cruise Lines 2012 - Disney Fantasy; ?. Tokyo Disney Resort; ?. Disneyland Paris

Comment

My sister and I are both longtime Star Wars fans, going back to the OT (and I liked the prequels; didn't love 'em, but liked 'em OK). For both of us, the reaction was pretty much "meh."

It's not that Abrams is a bad choice; he's a decent director with a successful track record and, hopefully, he'll do the saga justice. He's just not our most ideal choice (then again, I was never all that thrilled with Richard Marquand being chosen as the director of Episode VI, especially after Irvin Kershner had done such a terrific job on Episode V, but Episode VI was pretty much where everything changed, because George's priorities had changed; and honestly, it's the weakest of the OT). Say what you will about the prequels, at least they were all directed by Lucas, so there was at least a certain expected consistency, even if the writing and directing weren't as satisfying (then again, the original Star Wars was criticized when it came out for its stilted dialogue and sometimes wooden acting, so the same criticisms leveled at the prequels weren't exactly surprising).

Who would I pick? I honestly don't know. Not Spielberg, that's for sure. He's already said he would never do it since it's "George's baby." Maybe Ron Howard, if he was up for it. That'd sorta be keeping it "in the family," given Howard's relationship with Lucas over the years (going back to American Graffiti). Maybe Frank Darabont, who's also worked with Lucas extensively over the years. Maybe even Kevin Smith, if he thought he could do it. He's certainly erudite enough to recognize that Episode V was the best of the entire series.

But it'd also be interesting to see if other directors could take a crack at it. David Fincher, for one, he'd be interesting (and he actually did work on Episode VI when he was a teenager). Maybe Antoine Fuqua. He's proven he can handle action adventure projects with good character development (Tears of the Sun & King Arthur, both of which did well, and the upcoming Olympus Has Fallen), but he also excels at smaller, character-driven films as well (Training Day, Brooklyn's Finest).

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see who they get to direct the next two after this one.

Comment

The Star Trek reboot did a good job combining action & special effects with interesting characters & relationships, a good story, and an appropriate amount of humour.

While much of this comes down to the writing, I think Star Wars is in good hands based on Abrams' track record.
                          My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

Comment

Will he have the same formula that made star wars so awesome???
                            sigpic

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine, without me my signature is useless, without my signature i am useless!

"You'll need a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethro's, a Leon Spinx, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever."

Comment

Lets just keep our expectations level. If we get too hyped up we'll eventually become disappointed. Just like with The Phantom Menace, which was probably the most over-hyped film of all time.
                              sigpic

What is thy bidding, my Mouseter?

Check out my tumblr: http://dvader2015.tumblr.com/

Comment

I have reservations about Abrams...I mean, we are dealing with the Holy Grail. My fear is that he would change the basic tone of Star Wars. At least he is not scripting.

It's good to hear others' positive regards for Abrams. That gives me hope.

My theory about original trilogy over the prequels is this; in the originals, you followed three underdogs through three movies, and cheered for them every step of the way. In the prequels, the 3 primary characters were not consistent through the entire trilogy. Queen Amidala was a very strong character in the first film, and was almost non-existent in the last (she was just there to be pregnant). So I only hope that whoever scrots the next 3 films keeps this formula in mind: Don't be changing lead characters!

Comment

I just don't think the franchise could be ruined any more than it was for the prequels.

Comment

Originally posted by sir clinksalot View Post
                                    I just don't think the franchise could be ruined any more than it was for the prequels.
                                    I dont know, the prequels got better with each movie. With "Revenge of the Sith" it tried to redeem the Anikan saga. Yeah, Jar Jar did haunt us throughout the prequels. Maybe JJ Abrams will have a comical nod to the Clumsy character or his offspring.

Abrams had to have read the plot/storyline of ep 7 to take it on. I imagine if it was weak he would not have touched it. Sooo!! there must be a pretty darsh gone good story for him to step up and do this. We may be hyping this up now but it couldn't be any worse than Phantom?...or could it?

Comment

Originally posted by Retrocool View Post
                                      Anyway, it'll be interesting to see who they get to direct the next two after this one.
                                      Just so it's not Richard Lester or Joel Schumacher. They have done more to ruin their respective franchises than anyone.
                                      "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

Comment

Ahhh the news which will spark healthy debate amongst STAR TREK (Paramount Studios) & STAR WARS (Walt Disney Pictures / Lucas Films) & rightfully so ....

I am shocked, but not surprised that JJ Abrams was chosen to Direct STAR WARS VII; yet here are a few things to ponder -

Kathleen Kennedy (head of Lucas Films) pursued JJ Abrams and managed to obtain him as a Director. Did her long working relationship with Paramount Studios (via the Indiana Jones franchise) gave he the right clout to do so (& come out winning) ? ....

Does JJ Abrams (along with his Production Co. BAD ROBOT) have some sort of contract clause (which allows him free reign to reboot the STAR TREK franchise, as well as pursue other projects outside of Paramount Studios)?

Did Paramount Studios only hire JJ Abrams (& his Production Co. BAD ROBOT) for two new STAR TREK movies (or was it a new contract for each successful sequel - with each sequel STAR TREK film only green lit for production IF the previous film makes a profit)? .....

Did the Walt Disney Co (under Kathleen Kennedy) purchase JJ Abrams away from Paramount Studios (like they purchase IRON MAN from Paramount Studios for a large sum of money + a % of profits - distribution rights onto dvd / blu ray / on demand)?

Regardless, of the precise answer(s). JJ Abrams is hired to direct (not write, or produce) one STAR WARS film. This means he does not have the same "free reign" as he had rebooting STAR TREK (in fact? Kathleen Kennedy will be in charge of this, with George Lucas peering over her shoulder). If you had asked me who I would want to direct any of the next three STAR WARS films? I would like to see Kenneth Branagh given a chance (I enjoyed his work on THOR, I think he will lend a Shakespearean touch that I enjoyed in EMPIRE STRIKES BACK (my all time favorite STAR WARS film) ....

To my fellow STAR WARS fans, let's be thankfully we're not getting STAR WARS II & III dumped into theatres as 3D re-releases. Let's hope Screenwriter Michael Arndt, doesn't offer characters like Jar Jar Binks to ruin a film (& let's hope we get real sets, filmed on location, with minimal use of CGI). Personally, I am pleased to see that Lawrence Kasdan (who wrote the scripts for RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK, EMPIRE STRIKES BACK, RETURN OF THE JEDI) has become part of the Production / Script Writing Team ....

'Star Wars': Lawrence Kasdan, Simon Kinberg to Write, Produce - Hollywood Reporter

C J
                                        sigpic

I <3 Making Friends Who Share The Same Interests :-)

http://www.facebook.com/darkamor

http://www.twitter.com/darkamor

Comment

Working...
                                        X