Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News Disney getting away from CGI with new Star Wars movie, more sets, costumes

This is refreshing. Episodes 1-3 way overdid it on the CGI. Disney getting SW back to its roots with actual sets. I hope that eventually Star Tours gets the Force Awakens version.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens – Comic-Con 2015 Reel | ViralVerified

Re: Disney getting away from CGI with new Star Wars movie, more sets, costumes

Each of the Prequel films actually used more miniatures and animatronic masks then the entire original trilogy combined.

The Incredible Invisible Star Wars Prequels Miniatures

PT - Practical Effects in the Prequels- Sets, Pictures, Models, etc. | Jedi Council Forums

The whole "We're totally not gonna be the prequels, just look at all our practical effects" tone of the lead-up to TFA just rubs me the wrong way. I'm happy that we're getting practical effects in this modern all-CG Hollywood environment, but it's just disingenous and stinks of being a smokescreen to mask any possible issues with the film's story and writing which was the actual major problem of the prequels.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E
    sigpic
    Flickr

Comment

Ah yes, they should definitely add it to the ride without any practical effects.

In all seriousness though, if (when) more Star Wars comes to the parks it better be done using real sets and audio-animatronics. I can imagine that space travel is sort of hard to simulate this way (although Space Mountain does it pretty well), but I honestly feel more immersed in the Star Tours queue than on the actual ride.

Comment

I'm glad. I have a love/hate relationship with CGI. I'm ok if it serves the story, but a lot of the time it feels more like a distraction technique. "Hey, look what we can do!" rather than having an actual story.

Not that physical sets will save a nonexistent storyline, but at least it will look more real. Most of the time, anyway, if it's done halfway decently.

3-D movies do the same thing for me. It's a gimmick, rather than telling the story like a movie should.
        I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Comment

Originally posted by mikoyle View Post
          This is refreshing. Episodes 1-3 way overdid it on the CGI. Disney getting SW back to its roots with actual sets. I hope that eventually Star Tours gets the Force Awakens version.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens – Comic-Con 2015 Reel | ViralVerified
          His prequels were more of an infomercial for Industrial Light and Magic, instead of quality films. He even shot those movies with high end digital cameras. He was trying to start a trend and encouraged other filmmakers to follow his lead. They never did.

Comment

Originally posted by DLR CM View Post
            His prequels were more of an infomercial for Industrial Light and Magic, instead of quality films. He even shot those movies with high end digital cameras. He was trying to start a trend and encouraged other filmmakers to follow his lead. They never did.
            Peter Jackson and James Cameron sure followed his lead. Hell, Robert Zemeckis one-upped George and went full mo-cap for a while.
            M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E
            sigpic
            Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by FigmentJedi View Post
              Each of the Prequel films actually used more miniatures and animatronic masks then the entire original trilogy combined.The Incredible Invisible Star Wars Prequels MiniaturesPT - Practical Effects in the Prequels- Sets, Pictures, Models, etc. | Jedi Council ForumsThe whole "We're totally not gonna be the prequels, just look at all our practical effects" tone of the lead-up to TFA just rubs me the wrong way. I'm happy that we're getting practical effects in this modern all-CG Hollywood environment, but it's just disingenous and stinks of being a smokescreen to mask any possible issues with the film's story and writing which was the actual major problem of the prequels.
              Well.......sort of. There was a lot of models and miniatures built for the Prequel Trilogy, but a lot (most) of it was scanned into computers and manipulated as a cgi effect. The ships in the space battle in THE PHANTOM MENACE are a particularly obvious example. In addition to that there is lots of mediocre CGI slathered into nearly every scene. And a poor CGI effect can absolutely destroy the verisimilitude of a shot. Qui-Gon Jinn riding on the Eopie and Darth Maul jumping off his speeder are two of many instances of that.

Honestly, it really doesn't matter what the percentage of model work is in the Prequel Trilogy, because most of the effects LOOK like CGI. It's really a shame too, one of the worst decisions George Lucas made was to not have any actual Clone Troopers in ATTACK OF THE CLONES or REVENGE OF THE SITH. No Clone Trooper costumes were created, every Clone Trooper is a CGI synthespian. And they look it. There's a medium close-up two shot in Episode II of Yoda and a Clone Trooper and it's such poor CGI that it looks like a video game cut scene.

It's a pretty safe bet that THE FORCE AWAKENS won't have even one dodgy shot that looks like CGI. Because they are building so many sets, using real props, crafting actual costumes, not over relying on green screen, and........the CGI in THE FORCE AWAKENS is modern post-AVATAR CGI with a big, BIG budget.

Comment

Each of the Prequel films actually used more miniatures and animatronic masks then the entire original trilogy combined.

The Incredible Invisible Star Wars Prequels Miniatures

PT - Practical Effects in the Prequels- Sets, Pictures, Models, etc. | Jedi Council Forums

The whole "We're totally not gonna be the prequels, just look at all our practical effects" tone of the lead-up to TFA just rubs me the wrong way. I'm happy that we're getting practical effects in this modern all-CG Hollywood environment, but it's just disingenous and stinks of being a smokescreen to mask any possible issues with the film's story and writing which was the actual major problem of the prequels.
                The prequels had a weird look to them which was a combination of strange art style that was inconsistent with the the original trilogy as well as cartoony cgi. The visual style in the prequels was very strange nothing looked realistic.

Comment

Originally posted by Disney Adventure View Post
                  Honestly, it really doesn't matter what the percentage of model work is in the Prequel Trilogy, because most of the effects LOOK like CGI. It's really a shame too, one of the worst decisions George Lucas made was to not have any actual Clone Troopers in ATTACK OF THE CLONES or REVENGE OF THE SITH. No Clone Trooper costumes were created, every Clone Trooper is a CGI synthespian. And they look it. There's a medium close-up two shot in Episode II of Yoda and a Clone Trooper and it's such poor CGI that it looks like a video game cut scene.
                  One of the big reasons Episode 2 and 3 look so crappy is that George was shooting with super-early theater grade digital cameras. Like just a little above 1080p, this was years before 4K was invented. And as you know, digital has a distinctly different look then shooting on actual film that ended up highlighting the fakery of the miniatures and whatever digital stuff they composited within. Combine that with people being fed up with the badly scripted story and acting and they start using CG as a scapegoat.
                  M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E
                  sigpic
                  Flickr

Comment

Hope this means theme park attractions go back to practical effects as well. Sick of 3d motion simulators!!
                    These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
                    My company had a special night at the park
                    WdW trip report with WWoHP
                    NYE 2011 trip report
                    Mice Chat 7th anniversary
                    Leap year 24 hour report
                    New DCA trip report
                    NYE 2012
                    HKDL trip report

Comment

One of the big reasons Episode 2 and 3 look so crappy is that George was shooting with super-early theater grade digital cameras. Like just a little above 1080p, this was years before 4K was invented. And as you know, digital has a distinctly different look then shooting on actual film that ended up highlighting the fakery of the miniatures and whatever digital stuff they composited within. Combine that with people being fed up with the badly scripted story and acting and they start using CG as a scapegoat.
                      Exactly right, great point. Which is a shame since the Original Trilogy and Episode I were shot on 35mm and all four still look gorgeous. 4k is right about on par resolution-wise as 35mm (although some say 35mm is closer to 8k), so modern films shot on 4k digital video look incredible. But yeah, Episodes II and III were shot on early generation Sony CineAlta cameras that had about the same resolution as the video the iPhone I'm typing on right now can shoot. Which looks great, just not really cinema great. THE FORCE AWAKENS was shot on 35mm film and will look more like SW, TESB, ROTJ, and TPM. Which is a great thing.

Also, in addition to being shot on way too early generation digital video, Episodes II and III have sooooo many entire shots that were rendered completely in a computer. I'm not sure I could ever bring myself to watch either AOTC or ROTS again in my lifetime, but I'd be interested to find out how many shots don't contain a single live-action element. I'm guessing it's close to a hundred each. CGI has to be REALLY good to get away with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Disney Adventure View Post
                        Honestly, it really doesn't matter what the percentage of model work is in the Prequel Trilogy, because most of the effects LOOK like CGI. It's really a shame too, one of the worst decisions George Lucas made was to not have any actual Clone Troopers in ATTACK OF THE CLONES or REVENGE OF THE SITH. No Clone Trooper costumes were created, every Clone Trooper is a CGI synthespian. And they look it.
                        Yep. I don't like the look. I tend to get bored and wait for the CGI scenes to be over.

Originally posted by biggsworth View Post
                        Hope this means theme park attractions go back to practical effects as well. Sick of 3d motion simulators!!
                        Oh, for sure!!! 3D motion simulators don't really do it for me. Once in a while, but that's about it. Practical effects work better for something you're seeing than the simulators. I'll ride Star Tours, but it's pretty clear you're in a vehicle watching a movie.

Meh.
                        I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Comment

Omg that's awesome! These CGI movies are fantastic visually but I think it's so much cooler when they actually build a set. Like I love the backlot at Universal I think it's so cool that they can actually build an entire world right there rather than knowing that the actors were all sitting in front of a green curtain the entire movie. It just makes it more special for me idk haha

Comment

Working...
                          X