Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Force Awakens (with Spoilers)

I just saw The Force Awakes today and loved it. It was great that they brought back the characters and charm of the original movies. I do have a couple of complaints, however:

1. Adam Driver was completely miscast as Han and Leia's son. He looks so vastly different from them that it wasn't believable. That really bothered me throughout the movie. He could easily pass as the son of Severus Snape, however.
    2. They brought back my favorite Star Wars character just to kill him off! I'm really hoping it will turn out that he somehow survived.
    3. Parts of it were a little too much like A New Hope. Almost like a soft remake.

Otherwise it was so much fun to watch and I hope to see it again before it leaves theaters.

Han was impaled by a light saber and fell down a shaft. He is not coming back.

The remake element has been oft criticised. I noted it too, but on my second viewing it felt less like a remake, for whatever reason. I think the biggest change they could have made to avoid this feeling was not make Jakku Tatooine 2.0. Anything other than a desert planet would have felt different.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

Comment

Originally posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post
      Han was impaled by a light saber and fell down a shaft. He is not coming back.

... and then just to be 100% sure, they blew up the planet.

Comment

Also, Leia felt him pass on. Harrison Ford finally got the character death he wanted for Han Solo. I hated it and loved it (the death) at the same time. It was, however, too much to absorb in one viewing. I will have to watch it again before I can fully process my thoughts on the whole of the story.

Speculation: Rey is Luke's child? If true, it's cousin fighting cousin to balance the Force.
        Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
        Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
        Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
        Neverland since 1996.
        ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

Comment

My sentiments are along the lines of what has been expressed here.
          First of all, this is a good movie. Certainly better than the films of the second trilogy. I'm glad it was made, and happy to have gone seen it.
          That being said, I wasn't wowed by it. Some elements which made the original trilogy so entertaining were missing - I felt it was lacking in humor and originality, and didn't have the same sense of wonder.
          Rey and Finn are kind of Leea and Luke, but truth be told Leea and Luke were never very interesting characters. The character interest (among the good guys) in the original films had more to do with humorous pairing of Han / Chewbacca and the two droids. Perhaps a reaction to The Phantom Menace, where the humor was present (but tasteless) in the form of Jar Jar?
          As has been noted, this is the third Star Warms film (among seven) where the climax is blowing up a friggin Death Star. Can't the Sith come up with any other super weapon? They should know by now Death Stars will inevtitably be blown up by rebel pilots.
          I agree with the comment about Jakku above. It's basically Tattooine. Varying the landscape would have been nice.
          I agree that Kylo Ren does not look like Han and Leia's son in the least. The verdict is still out whether he turns out to be as good a villain as Vader, or not.
          Finally, there were so many monents of wornder or inspriation in the original trilogy - the opening shorts of a New Hope, the multiple suns of Tattooine, the first time we see Superstar Destroyer in Empire Strikes Back (and the music that went along with that scene) - I found no equivalents here.

Comment

Saw it Christmas Day and loved it.
            So fun and funny and just really, really good.
            Jim in Merced CA - former cast member at Walt Disney World, Walt Disney Imagineering and Disneyland.

Comment

Originally posted by Tinkbelle View Post
              I just saw The Force Awakes today and loved it. It was great that they brought back the characters and charm of the original movies. I do have a couple of complaints, however:

1. Adam Driver was completely miscast as Han and Leia's son. He looks so vastly different from them that it wasn't believable. That really bothered me throughout the movie. He could easily pass as the son of Severus Snape, however.
              2. They brought back my favorite Star Wars character just to kill him off! I'm really hoping it will turn out that he somehow survived.
              3. Parts of it were a little too much like A New Hope. Almost like a soft remake.

Otherwise it was so much fun to watch and I hope to see it again before it leaves theaters.
              Dude he totally looked like a young Snape LOL My wife and I kept saying it I was ok with the character looking the way he did and can't wait to see him evolve one way or another. I assume he will turn full dark side and come all the way back to the light. I guess we will see!

Maybe a episode 8 spoiler but they did say all of the cast from 7 will be in 8 so maybe a flashback or something at least to tribute him. Game of Thrones usually ends off cast members so I could see Star Wars doing it as well.

My only gripe about the similarities of a new hope was I wish Star Killer base stayed around a little longer. Meaning I was hoping when they attacked it the base would have been weakened to the point the super weapon was destroyed but their base as a planet was preserved to stick around for 8 and 9!

These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
              My company had a special night at the park
              WdW trip report with WWoHP
              NYE 2011 trip report
              Mice Chat 7th anniversary
              Leap year 24 hour report
              New DCA trip report
              NYE 2012
              HKDL trip report

Comment

Sadly, I have to agree with Michael Hiltzik's column in the L.A. Times:

"Star Wars: The Force Awakens," is not very good. It's professionally made in the sense that it displays an industrial level of Quality Control. But it's depressingly unimaginative and dull in long stretches, and -- crucially -- reproduces George Lucas' original 1977 movie slavishly almost to the point of plagiarism.

This isn't to say that it's not an enjoyable way to spend a couple of hours. If you're among the millions who plainly have done so, bless your heart. The issue, however, is whether "The Force Awakens" even deserves to be considered as a movie, because it's not. It's the anchoring element of a vast commercial program, painstakingly factory-made for maximal audience appeal, which means maximal inoffensiveness....

Abrams seems to follow the precept that the surest way to keep from putting a foot wrong is to walk only within the footprints of one's predecessors. As has been noted by a few reviewers who braved the intimidating weight of "Star Wars: the Phenomenon" to write critical pans, the new movie obsequiously replicates the formula of the original -- its set pieces, rhythm, pacing, even dialogue -- almost without advancing the story at all....

"The Force Awakens," curiously, elicits greater respect for the first "Star Wars," which was a pastiche of old serials, Buck Rogers space operas, and military adventure stories but was at least an inspired act of cultural appropriation. Nobody thought of "Star Wars" as Art, though there was something definitely novel about Lucas' reassembly of old parts.

But not until now, in Disney's hands, has the series become commerce and nothing but. Many of the pre-release articles about "The Force Awakens" were business stories, and bows to its box-office success creep even into critics' reviews. Among the publicity features preceding the premiere was one in which Daisy Ridley, who plays the new protagonist Rey, rated eight action figures being sold with her character's image....

Watching "The Force Awakens," I felt as though I was being shown a trailer for the next four movies in the series. Except that trailers aren't normally two hours long and you don't have to pay $12.50 to see them.

"The Force Awakens" will reinforce even more strongly a blockbuster, sequel-oriented style of moviemaking and marketing that has sapped Hollywood of its creative energies. Why be creative when that will merely interfere with merchandising, and when recycling is more dependably profitable?
                "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                - Michael Eisner

Comment

Working...
                X