Announcement

Collapse
1 of 3 < >

UPGRADE

The forums will be upgraded to the latest software version on 9/26/17 at 9:30pm PDT. The upgrade should only take a few minutes. During the upgrade you might experience errors, but they will go away once the upgrade is completed. This is not the upgrade/move we have been discussing for the past few months. This is just normal, minor maintenance. Thank you.
2 of 3 < >

Ad Blockers

Please do not use ad blocking software when visiting MiceChat. It costs money to keep MiceChat online, and ad revenue offsets this. Thank you.
3 of 3 < >

Registration Policy

In order to eliminate SPAM, all new users must verify their email. Once the email address is verified, we make sure your IP address is not a VPN, proxy, or tor exit node. If you have tried to register and it was not approved, please send an email to administrator@micechat.com. We will try to resolve the issue and then you can try again. Thank you.
See more
See less

Star Wars Episode 9 Pushed Back to December 2019

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News Star Wars Episode 9 Pushed Back to December 2019

Deadline is reporting ‘Star Wars: Episode IX’ Moves To Dec. 2019 in the wake of former director Colin Trevorrow's departure and J.J. Abrams' appointment as the new director. We know that Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge will open in Summer 2019, but will Disney's rationale change now that the content is not going hand-in-hand with the park?

My guess is they won't want to pass up on the summer ticket sales for the new land. However, I wouldn't be surprised if their corporate veil of secrecy means keeping the cards close to the vest as far as the content is concerned, possible leading to them changing some of the features in the land like the characters walking around or maybe even storylines in the Millennium Falcon ride.

What do you think?

Update: The official Star Wars Twitter account also confirmed this at https://twitter.com/starwars/status/907686475512160256
    Last edited by WaltDisney'sAlec; 09-12-2017, 02:10 PM.

Originally posted by WaltDisney'sAlec View Post
    What do you think?
    I think the way the Studio and Consumer Products keep playing Schedule Switcheroo, WDI and DLR Ops will need to make a mass-purchase of stomach antacid and Valium.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

I think the way the Studio and Consumer Products keep playing Schedule Switcheroo, WDI and DLR Ops will need to make a mass-purchase of stomach antacid and Valium.
      Haha, that made me chuckle. I know a couple of people at WDI who were in desperate need of a vacation after temporarily moving to Florida to help with building Pandora. I could only imagine the stress involved with work on these lands.

Comment

I think as you said characters and certain theming might be put on hold till the movie is released but I don't think this will have any affect on the land opening. SWL will make Disney more money then episode 9 will.

If I can dream, maybe now that there is no movie release to link to the lands opening maybe it'll open a month or two sooner?! Lol.

Comment

Neat, but not park specific/related news
          There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
          -Dr. Strange

Comment

Originally posted by Wren View Post
            Neat, but not park specific/related news
            On the contrary, it is quite pertinent to Disneyland, viz:

...We know that Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge will open in Summer 2019, but will Disney's rationale change now that the content is not going hand-in-hand with the park?

My guess is they won't want to pass up on the summer ticket sales for the new land. However, I wouldn't be surprised if their corporate veil of secrecy means keeping the cards close to the vest as far as the content is concerned, possible leading to them changing some of the features in the land like the characters walking around or maybe even storylines in the Millennium Falcon ride.

- Neil Gabler

Comment

Originally posted by matterhorn77 View Post
              I think as you said characters and certain theming might be put on hold till the movie is released but I don't think this will have any affect on the land opening. SWL will make Disney more money then episode 9 will.
              Over the long term, yeah. But over the short term, the movie will provide income much more quickly (over and above production cost)

It will take Disney many years to break even on SWL (as would be expected from a major capital project)

Comment

I was honestly surprised they were trying to do the next Star Wars outside of the holiday season, where all the other recent ones have been released. I'd guess that it's not going to affect the opening of SWL:GE, since they can use it as marketing in the lead-up to the new movie.

Comment

Haha, that made me chuckle. I know a couple of people at WDI who were in desperate need of a vacation after temporarily moving to Florida to help with building Pandora. I could only imagine the stress involved with work on these lands.
                  Yep. And Pandora had the franchise owner, James Cameron, at the top of the hierarchy -- a creative who knows how creative teams work. In SWL, WDI is under the command & control of corporate business & marketing executives -- none of whom have creative chops, many of whom are in competition with each other, and all of whom are focused on the bottom line.

- Neil Gabler

Comment

Originally posted by Beavis View Post

Over the long term, yeah. But over the short term, the movie will provide income much more quickly (over and above production cost)

It will take Disney many years to break even on SWL (as would be expected from a major capital project)
                    Either way it'll make more. I don't think it'd take a "long term" to make the money back though. The parks make billions of dollars per year.

Comment

From a marketing perspective, I actually think it would be a big mistake to open a movie and the Star Wars park at the same time. The Star Wars brand is strong enough to open the theme park area with no direct movie tie in. Even without the movie, the park/rides will still operate at capacity for months after the initial opening. What's the point in creating additional demand you can't accommodate? If Galaxy's Edge opens in 2019, I would push Episode IX 6 - 12 months out to stimulate theme park attendance during off-peak months.

If I were in charge: Open Galaxy's Edge in May to stimulate demand between Spring Break and Summer, Open Episode IX in December when movie attendance peaks, Movie press stimulates park attendance in January and February.

I also would stagger the Disney World and Disneyland openings to pull hardcore fans, the one's that HAVE to be there first, to the more profitable location. (I guess that makes me evil)

Obviously, this is easier said than done as other obstacles like organization dysfunction and technical difficulties get in the way, but this would be without question the most profitable plan for Disney.

Comment

Originally posted by BW1 View Post
                        From a marketing perspective, I actually think it would be a big mistake to open a movie and the Star Wars park at the same time. The Star Wars brand is strong enough to open the theme park area with no direct movie tie in.
                        I agreed

Disney Park is not going wait on any movie ,for the New area Galaxy's Edge/Star War Land.......
                        They want the land open A.S.A.P...even as a marketing perspective
                        Disney is not going to lose out any money more than have to !!
                        IMO
                        Last edited by Eagleman; 09-12-2017, 08:53 PM.
                        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

As if we needed any more reasons to believe these movies were being made by a committee of marketing hacks rather than actual creative people.

Comment

I didn't even know SW:9 was supposed to come out before December. I've gotten use to Disney just releasing these films around Christmas time.
                            MY SIGNATURE:
                            Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

completely irrelevant

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X