Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benioff & Weiss depart New Star Wars Trilogy

Former Game of Throne Showrunners, David Benioff and B.D Weiss have the left the planned new trilogy over "scheduling".

Benioff and Weiss were supposed to usher in the post-Skywalkera era of the Star Wars brand with a 2022 new-start story that would stake out a new frontier for the era-defining cinema brand created by George Lucas. The Emmy-winning pair cited their historic deal with Netflix. They said their enthusiasm for Star Wars remains boundless but, regrettably, their schedule is full up.
    While I try to be optimistic regarding Star Wars, this makes me raise my eyebrow. Why would they walk away from a major cinematic enterprise for a secondary deal with Netflix?

My tin foil hat thinking, is that they got the Guillermo del Toro treatment. Just like the Hobbit series, the studios were 'disappointed' with their direction, and were either told:

1. To redo the entire script treatment and delay the movie
    OR
    2. Or politely let them leave with a full paid paycheck, in compensation.

And add to the fire, was the GoT controversial final season(which has been berated so much, that non-fans like myself, can't stop hearing about it), which could of been the final nail.

This is also the 4th time that a director or directing duo left a recent Star Wars project, with the previous 3 being, Trevorrow, Trank, and Miller/Lord.

Is anyone else suspicious?
    David Benioff and D.B. Weiss cite the limits of "only so many hours in the day" as they exit Lucasfilm deal to launch a new Jedi trilogy.

Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post
    This is also the 4th time that a director or directing duo left a recent Star Wars project, with the previous 3 being, Trevorrow, Trank, and Miller/Lord.

Is anyone else suspicious?
    Suspicious? Not even a teensie-weensie bit. Now they'll be able to, um... spend more time with their families.

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
    it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
    together with every variety of recreation and fun,
    designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
    - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
    - Bob Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

Suspicious? Not even a teensie-weensie bit. Now they'll be able to, um... spend more time with their NETFLIX.

I fixed your post.

Comment

Originally posted by spongeocto4 View Post

i fixed your post.
        lol!!
        "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
        it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
        together with every variety of recreation and fun,
        designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
        - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
        - Bob Chapek

Comment

I read that the revealed reasoning for their departure/being let go was mainly because of the fan reaction to their final season of Game of Thrones. Apparently Lucasfilm got nervous. That combined with, yes, their upcoming work with Netflix led to the split. It was definitely more of one than the other but both contributed. The subject matter of the new Trilogy was also revealed to be about the origins of the Jedi themselves. Early rumors had reported their Trilogy would have focused on the popular Old Republic era but it appears it was going to take place thousands of years before even that.

All that said, I can't say I'm heartbroken. I never really got in to Game of Thrones so I never got a chance to get a fix on how the duo operates (so I don't even know what I might have missed) and it doesn't sound like they were very far along in the film making process to begin with.
          "I take no side. I am beyond your worrying and wars. I am unseen. Unknowable. Like a rock in the river."

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
          Working...
          X