• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cory Gross
    MiceChatter
    • Jan 2012

Re: 'Frozen' cools theatres 11/27/2013

Well you see, Disney realized that they made a big mistake when they changed the name of The Frog Princess to The Princess and the Frog. You'd think the title change would make sense: it gave us two nouns, two definite articles and a conjunction (see: Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Beauty and the Beast). What they couldn't have realized is that our society has gone through a fundamental linguistic shift. We don't got no time for no titles that form no complete sentences! You can't Tweet something like that! Solitary adjectives is the wave of the future. So The Bear and the Bow is changed to Brave, and Rapunzel (which you'd think would be safe because it's only a proper name, but it's a whole 8 characters) to Tangled (7 characters), and The Snow Queen is Frozen. John Carter is still a proper name (and two words) but that'll have to do. At least it's no longer A Princess of Mars, which is two nouns, a possessive and an indefinite article, thank God. Remember, this is the company that needs to save money by elminating genetives!

Comment

• Xedex
      Disney + Menken fan
      • Aug 2009

Wasn't 'John Carter' also named 'John Carter of Mars' at first? (which explains the 'J' 'C' AND 'M' on the poster

So the longer 'John Carter of Mars' was shortened in just 'John Carter'

Other than that I'm really looking forward to seeing some concept art for Frozen

~Dex
      "Fish are friends! NOT food!"
      ~Finding Nemo

Comment

• ALIASd
        Top Shelf!
        MiceChat News Team
        • Jun 2005

I believe that the newish-trend of shortening (i.e. 'John Carter of Mars') and the one-word punch titles says more about modern audiences attention spans and brand recall than anything else.

'Frozen' news as posted on 1/10 by Steve Hullett, Business Represententive of The Animation Guild, Local 839 IATSE:

"The script for Frozen had a good table read. Management liked it, and we're putting it up in story reels. They want a screening in the next couple of months ..."

"We're gonna make Frozen in about a year. That's what we seem to always get, a year. Every time we make the tight deadline, we make sure we'll get a tight deadline the next time ..."
        TAG Blog: The Disney Experience
        "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Comment

• yoyoflamingo
          How do you do?
          MiceChat Round-Up Crew
          • Jan 2005

Twitter joke:

Wonder if they removed the Walt Disney from the title card so it won't read "Walt Disney's Frozen."
          It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Comment

• Cory Gross
            MiceChatter
            • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Xedex View Post
            Wasn't 'John Carter' also named 'John Carter of Mars' at first?
            The original novel by Edgar Rice Burroughs was titled A Princess of Mars, and Disney was going to alter that to John Carter of Mars, and then finally John Carter. There is some speculation that the "JCM" logo was a result of the name change coming really late in the game. That might also have something to do with why it's not called "Tharked".

I think the big problem for me with using adjectives as titles is that they all sound sarcastic. I can't read "Tangled" without hearing it like "TANGLED!" in the same voice with which someone would shout "PWN'D!"

Comment

• ALIASd
              Top Shelf!
              MiceChat News Team
              • Jun 2005

According to today's Hollywood Reporter actress Kristen Bell (Disney's 'You Again', 'When in Rome') will provide the speaking and singing voice as the lead for the upcoming animated feature, 'Frozen' directed by Chris Buck and produced by John Lasseter and Peter Del Vecho.
              "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Comment

• Witches of Morva
                Minion
                • Jan 2005

ORDDU: How a movie is titled really DOES make a difference to many of us. Rapunzel is an established fairy tale and renaming it to Tangled is truly insulting to the tale as well as to the audience. The words one chooses to use in Life really do make a difference in how we are perceived by others--even if on a subtle level. Since Brave isn't based on a classical story, it's less noticable that a change has been made. But with an established classic it stands out like a sore thumb to change its title.

Comment

• mylothelostboy
                  MiceChatter
                  • Mar 2012

It's not entirely Disney's fault that they have to change the name to make it more appealing to a wider audience - times have changed, and people don't tend to take their sons to princess movies unless it's advertised as having a fair amount of action and adventure with it. I'm not a fan of the change, but Disney really has no choice but to go along with it. At least be thankful that they're still making princess/fairy tale films at all, when most of the other animation studios would only dare to do so if it were somewhat satirical and full of pop culture references (I'm referring to Shrek, of course).

Marketing-friendly name or not, I'm excited to finally see the Movie-Formally-Known-As-The-Snow-Queen getting a release date.

Comment

• DragoHarley
                    Banned User
                    • Mar 2012

Can anyone tell me the story of "The Snow Queen"? I never heard this fairytale growing up. I looked on Wikipedia and the story they had there made no sense -- a demon taking a mirror to Heaven to embarrass God and then the mirror cracking into a billion pieces and shooting people in the eyes...I couldn't read any further than that.

What do you think Disney will do with "The Snow Queen"? Will it be another princess story -- with a princess somehow involved for the Princess Line?

I am not a very creative or imaginative person so I feel stupid sometimes because I can't see what the creative folks at Disney will do with something like this. I hate being so stupid and wish I was creative so I could be an Imagineer or an artist. Instead I just wish I was.

Comment

• Broadway Guru
                      Embrace the kitsch!
                      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by DragoHarley View Post
                      Can anyone tell me the story of "The Snow Queen"? I never heard this fairytale growing up. I looked on Wikipedia and the story they had there made no sense -- a demon taking a mirror to Heaven to embarrass God and then the mirror cracking into a billion pieces and shooting people in the eyes...I couldn't read any further than that.
                      That part is really all backstory. The main plot involves two young friends, Kay and Gerda. One of the shards of the mirror falls into Kay's eye, causing him to see the world as an ugly, twisted place. The Snow Queen takes Kay away to be her consort and Gerda takes a long journey to the SQ's palace to rescue him. Along the way, she meets various odd characters. It's a very good story for today's Disney, as it reverses the traditional formula and shows the female character rescuing the male.
                      Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
                      Charter Member

Comment

• DragoHarley
                        Banned User
                        • Mar 2012

Has anyone seen anything that would give an indication of what Disney is doing with this story?

I am thinking of Beauty and the Beast right now. When I was little, I heard the story but it of course did not have Mrs. Potts and Lumiere and Cogsworth and all those people in it and there was no villain like Gaston.

So, I bet Disney is going to do the same thing with the Snow Queen and create all sorts of characters that are original and will flesh out the Snow Queen story.

I just realized something too about the name -- maybe they are also changing the title because they were afraid that people would think it was a new version of "Snow White" or that it was a sequel to "Snow White". So that's why they are calling it "Frozen".

Comment

• ALIASd
                          Top Shelf!
                          MiceChat News Team
                          • Jun 2005

Originally posted by ALIASd View Post
                          'Frozen' news as posted on 1/10 by Steve Hullett, Business Represententive of The Animation Guild, Local 839 IATSE:

TAG Blog: The Disney Experience
                          Still way to early in the films work-in-progress stages for any actual production information to be public yet.

Comment

• ALIASd
                            Top Shelf!
                            MiceChat News Team
                            • Jun 2005

Work is going on with Frozen, with characters being modelled and production slowly ramping up. (One of the modelers showed me work in progress. The characters are going to have their own distinct looks.)
                            - 5/4 Steve Hulett, Business Rep for The Animation Guild Local 839

TAG Blog: Disney Afternoon

Comment

• ALIASd
                              Top Shelf!
                              MiceChat News Team
                              • Jun 2005

Walt Disney Animation Studios' 'Frozen' will feature original songs by Robert Lopez (Co-Writer of Tony Award-winning musicals 'The Book of Mormon' and 'Avenue Q') and Kristen Anderson-Lopez ('Winnie the Pooh') and star Kristen Bell, as previously reported, and Tony winner Idina Menzel ('Wicked').

synopsis:

'Frozen" chronicles, "A prophecy trapping a kingdom in eternal winter. Anna (Bell) must team with Kristoff, a daring mountain man, on the grandest of journeys to find The Snow Queen (Menzel) and put an end to the icy spell. Encountering Everest-like extremes, mystical creatures and magic at every turn, Anna and Kristoff battle the elements in a race to save the kingdom from destruction."
                              Last edited by ALIASd; 06-11-2012, 01:00 PM.

Comment

• FigmentJedi
                                MiceChatter
                                • Feb 2005

Idina Menzel and the use of the Avenue Q guys sounds good and I'm willing to cut the movie some slack with that, but it sounds like they threw out the book and its protagonists entirely. I know Disney loves to tweak the hell out of the stories they adapt, but even the most modified ones still have some resemblance to the source material and use the actual characters. Dropping Gerda and Kai for what sounds like a wintery version of the Rapunzel/Flynn dynamic is reeeaaally troubling. If they skip out on that cursed mirror while they're at it, then what was the point of doing a Snow Queen movie at all? It's like American Dog/Bolt all over again.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X