This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Brave MiceChat Reviews

Brave was a great movie. The cgi was well done and some of the best I have ever seen. They were moments when you would think it was really footage of a horse or mountains or the river. Pixar has come along way since animating the sea in finding nemo. I give it 4/5 stars. The story is the first attempt by Pixar at a princess movie and I think everyone will be pleasantly suprised by the plot and the outcome. Do I think some of the characters could have had more depth ? yes ! But those problems were minimal to not take away from the heart of the story. . Kudos to Brenda Chapman, the first female lead director on a pixar film. I look forward to seeing whats next from pixar

Comment

Re: 'BRAVE' - MiceChat Reviews

'Brave' opens at #1 with $66.7 million at the domestic box office in it's opening weekend:

Brave" is the latest hit for Disney's Pixar animation unit, which has a nearly impeccable track record at the box office. The movie got off to a slightly better start than the company's last release, "Cars 2," which opened with $66.1 million last summer and was one of the only Pixar releases that didn't receive overwhelmingly positive reviews.

Critics were far kinder to "Brave," and moviegoers also loved the film, assigning it an average grade of A, according to market research firm CinemaScore. The movie stars Pixar's first female protagonist, a Scottish teenage princess named Merida whose defiant nature creates trouble within her kingdom.

While the film's advertising campaign attempted to play up Merida's more tomboyish traits, like the fact that her favorite pasttime is archery, the movie still appealed mostly to young girls this weekend. Roughly 57% of the audience for "Brave" was female, and two-thirds of the crowd was comprised of parents with their children.

While seven of the top 10 highest-grossing theaters for the film were in California, the movie also did particularly well in family-skewing markets like Orlando, Seattle and Salt Like City, where ticket sales were 53% above the norm.

Overseas, "Brave" debuted in 10 foreign markets including Russia and China and grossed $13.5 million in total. The film will not open in Scotland, where it is set, until mid-August.
      'Brave' slays 'Vampire Hunter' at box office - latimes.com
      Last edited by ALIASd; 06-24-2012, 02:39 PM.
      "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Comment

Howdy Pards,

Ahhhh....tis a wonderful tale of spirit and spunk direct from the Scottish Highlands it is! Tis no wonder it was Number One by far at the Box Office this last weekend! No wonder at all!

If you haven't seen it yet...it is time! Yes, time to experience the story of a firey, young, red-headed princess...destined, now, to live for all time as one of the most beloved of all! The finest archer/princesses ever to ride a huge Clydesdale horse as fast as the wind!!! You'll find yourself loving the whole family...Mum, Dad, and the three little brothers...triplets...Princes Hamish, Hubert, and Harris...who have a particular fondness for muffins, muffins, and more muffins...oh...yes...and mischief too. Plenty of that...

You'll hear legends...experience magic, action and adventure...and be thoroughly delighted by the journey. I know I was...and I reckon I'll be returnin' to Castle DunBroch tomorrow...to see it again!

Adios for now. Talk to ya on down the trail.

Wild Ol' Dan
        "I can see the cattle grazin' o'er the hills at early morn…
        I can see the campfires smokin’ at the breaking of the dawn,
        I can hear the bronco's neighin', I can hear the cowboys sing,
        I'd like to be in Texas for the Round-up in the Spring."
        sigpic

Comment

So there is a fair comparison at the start: to me, Pixar’s strongest films to date are Toy Story 2 and 3, The Incredibles, and Ratatouille.

Cars and Cars 2 make the bottom due to increasingly juvenile story.

With Brave, honestly, it’s just disappointing what the final result is. Pixar once more proves they can nail technical aspects and sheer beauty, and tie in story strongly to intense, relate-able human emotion with the characters involved. But for how strong Meridia and her mother (the Queen’s) connection is and how it changes, the rest is just a muddled mess as far as story and tone.

I truly think it feels like Pixar just couldn’t decide what the movie should end up being, and it shows. Interesting stuff (the Scottish folklore aspects and exactly how the magic at play in this universe effects the wider story, and more screentime with the very appealing and goodhearted yet low-on-decorum King Fergus) are shoved aside in favor of an uneven, middling story and rather bizarre story-shift which mainly is played for maybe 15 minutes for unfunny slapstick/fish out of water nonsense before attempting to be tied back into the core emotional depth which is the goal of the film.

The ‘witch’ character and her talking raven to me were solidly bland/pointlessly eccentric and like something straight out of a Dreamworks movie. They are not funny, not threatening and not even very interesting: feels like a plot device character basically there because something has to make Meridia change her mind/actions and relationship choices. Malificent, Scar, or Syndrome it isn’t by any stretch of the imagination.

The rest of the film is a very weird combo, the Pixar beauty of animation and solid emotional core muddied with Disney fairy tale style slapstick/cute animal sidekicks and a out-of-left-field menace with scarcely visited backstory, and then an almost cringe-worthy unfunny Dreamworks style ‘modern’ joke plopped in the middle along with very modern-sounding arrangements of songs with lyrics played over a fairy-tale style environment and action. It was basically just a hot mess to me, and strong elements bogged down by indecisive and bland mediocrity.

Pixar can (and has) done better. Forgettable film, and that’s truly a shame.
          when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

Comment

To me, this film starts great and coasts at "good" for the remainder of the running time. When you're at the climactic finale, you actually don't realize it because it doesn't feel like you've reached it narratively and emotionally.

There's a lot more that should have been done with the other bear, Mor'du or whatever. And I just never felt as if the mother was in any danger.

Fergus is a caricature and treated as such throughout the film. They even make him incompetent as a king. I was actually annoyed at that.

The gags definitely felt as if they were more "dreamworks" and there was a lot more male nudity than I want to see in any film, animated or not.

The tag at the bottom of the end credits did answer something I was thinking about throughout the film and that was the delivery of every carved piece that merida bought. But now I'm actually wishing the end end bit was the Witch discovering that her home is completely destroyed.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
            http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
            http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

No comment one way or another. Just a different perspective.

Could the heroine of Pixar's 'Brave' be gay? (Warning: Spoilers!) | PopWatch | EW.com
              Writing about all things Disney, a couple of paragraphs at a time

http://disneylandtraveler.blogspot.com/

75,000+ page views and counting.

Comment

Went ahead and merged the two threads with the same name.

Comment

Howdy Pards,

Well, I've just returned from seeing BRAVE for the second time. Now, you may recall, that the very first time I saw it I rated it 5 stars and more on a scale of one to five. Reading some of your posts and looking at the poll I wondered if perhaps we had watched two different movies...most of you rated it four stars and some even rated it 3 stars.

So, like I say, I went again...and...I enjoyed it again...maybe even more the second time than I did the first. Of course, understand that I have to admit to loving everything PIXAR has ever done on that big screen...including CARS 2 which I also found to be an absolute delight.

Anyways the story of Merida is a fun filled, free spirited adventure...a real delight set in the Scottish Highlands...it's the story of a teenage red-headed girl growing up. It's the story of a Mom trying to help her grow up... It's a story of a family, a delightful, loving family. It's a story of Scotland in the days of castles and kings.

I'm not really sure which film you folks saw, but the one I saw...the one called BRAVE is
                  a delightful adventure...a delightful addition to the PIXAR world-wide Blockbuster film library. Watch the box office grow once again...and after a spectacular season of success...let's hope BRAVE becomes THE Christmas video/DVD of 2012! I know I'll be buyin' it the very minute it arrives on the shelves!

If you haven't seen the film yet...GO! It's a wonderful journey you will not soon forget...

Adios for now. Talk to ya on down the trail.

Wild Ol' Dan
                  "I can see the cattle grazin' o'er the hills at early morn…
                  I can see the campfires smokin’ at the breaking of the dawn,
                  I can hear the bronco's neighin', I can hear the cowboys sing,
                  I'd like to be in Texas for the Round-up in the Spring."
                  sigpic

Comment

For Pixar, 3D is a lesser priority

Pics score big at B.O. but don't do as well as rival toons in 3D
                    By Andrew Stewart
                    Variety

Pixar built Hollywood's most consistent animation shop by balancing interest from families and adults. But that brand strength doesn't always translate to 3D success: Last weekend, "Brave" yielded a 3D share of only 34% for its domestic B.O. tally -- a new low for stereo toons.

That result can only stoke Hollywood's concerns about the format's place in animation, once seen as the vanguard of the 3D revival. While the gap between 3D toons and their live-action counterparts widens and execs seek to understand why foreign auds spark to the format more than Americans, they're faced with a more ominous question: Are animated 3D films becoming an exception, or signaling a deepening domestic erosion?

It's no secret that 3D shares have slowly declined for both family and fanboy fare. Recent toons by DreamWorks Animation and Sony Pictures Animation have outpaced Pixar in domestic opening 3D shares. DWA's most recent offering, "Madagascar 3," saw 45% of grosses from the premium format, but by comparison, the studio's "How to Train Your Dragon" in 2010 commanded 67% of its B.O. from 3D -- the highest for any toon since 3D began making its comeback.

Pixar has trailed its animated competition going back to its first 3D release, "Up," which grossed 53% of its opening from 3D in 2009 (that same year, "Monsters vs. Aliens," from Paramount-DWA, debuted domestically with a 58% 3D share; Sony's "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs" rang up 60%).

While DWA's Jeffrey Katzenberg has been at the forefront of the modern 3D resurgence -- having vowed since "Monsters" to make every pic in stereo -- Pixar chiefs have downplayed the format's significance from creative to marketing. Around the time "Up" was released, Pixar stereoscopic supervisor Bob Whitehall said the studio takes a conservative approach with 3D, emphasizing story and emotion over depth and gimmickry.

Still, the company has released all four of its last films -- "Up," "Toy Story 3," "Cars 2" and "Brave" -- in 3D. Studio has even committed to re-releasing 3D versions of "Finding Nemo" and "Monsters, Inc.," which weren't originally envisioned for stereo, according to Disney.

The fact that Pixar falls behind in 3D shares -- at the domestic B.O. at least -- has some bizzers scratching their heads, since the studio's films play extraordinarily well with teens and adults, even more so than the pics from other animation shops. Still, when it comes to families, parents are increasingly wary of paying 3D premiums unless word of mouth suggests that the format is highly additive.
                    full article at:
                    For Pixar, 3D is a lesser priority - Entertainment News, Film News, Media - Variety

---------- Post added 06-25-2012 at 07:59 PM ----------

I'll be signing my Limited Edition "Brave" print at the El Capitan theater this Sunday at 7pm! Come by and say hello!
                    FYI - Victoria Ying is a Visual Development Artist at Walt Disney Animation Studios ('Tangled', 'Paperman' short) and Disney Fine Art Storyteller

Disney Fine Art
                    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Comment

Originally posted by AcmePunched View Post
                      I gave it 3 stars.

I (and many of my animation friends as well) were actually rather disappointed with this one. We all wanted to love it but it never really came together by the end. The beginning was great, and really brought the mother/daughter dynamic to life, but the process by which they finally resolve the issue feels flat and inorganic. The flowy-language'd voiceovers that bookend the film and the constant repetition of the word "fate", to me, just seemed out of place and silly especially when I felt the story really wasn't about fate at all. And I hated the fact that Merida's totallyawesome archery skills didn't have any sort of spotlight or large role in the climax.

The visual artistry is top-rate, of course. Like everyone says, Merida's hair is pretty much a reason to see this movie in and of itself. But that's not the equivalent of a good story, and this story feels like something we've seen time and time again. Treading familiar ground can be done awesomely *cough*howtotrainyourdragon*cough*, but unfortunately this movie didn't reach that point.

This isn't to say I didn't enjoy watching the film. I've seen it twice already, so that should be some indication. It has plenty of fun moments. But I only liked it, I didn't love it, which unfortunately makes this my least favorite Pixar film. (Yes, I even loved Cars 2! Why does everyone else hate it so much? ;__; ) Come on Pixar, your first female protagonist deserves better than this!

In other news, La Luna is possibly my new MOST favorite Pixar short. Go figure.

The adults in How To Train Your Dragon are Vikings with Scottish accents. The Viking kids do not have Scottish accents. Everyone in Brave is Scottish with a Scottish accent. Other than that, what similarities were there between the two? There's no dragon in Brave, either.
                      Amnesia used to be my favourite word, but I forgot it.

Comment

I'll try to say this and have it make sense without having spoilers. Brave is the prettiest movie to look at Pixar has ever made. The visuals are so good that you have to stop and remember someone animated this! Not filmed! Someone created this! Yeah, it's breathtaking.
                        The story isn't really Pixar standards, but that doesn't make it bad. Up and Ratatouille are very similar, (again, trying not to spoil) but the way they move along towards a goal and then there's finally conflict at the end. That's all I'll say. There's an awkward turn halfway through the story that was very Disney, and I wasn't counting on it, but you put your head down and power through it and it becomes very satisfying by the end.
                        Also, I don't know if it was the people I was with, or the general crowd in the theater, or just me being in a good mood, but I found the first half of the movie hilarious! Anyone else?

Click the banner! ^^^^
                        Follow us on Twitter
                        @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
                        Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

Comment

Originally posted by Pizzapants View Post
                          but you put your head down and power through it and it becomes very satisfying by the end.
                          That's what she.... nevermind.

Originally posted by Pizzapants View Post
                          Also, I don't know if it was the people I was with, or the general crowd in the theater, or just me being in a good mood, but I found the first half of the movie hilarious! Anyone else?
                          The first half is VERY enjoyable. Or the first 1/3rd, whatever it comes down to. I just think it all goes down a notch once she gets to the witch's cottage.

Comment

I agree that it seemed more of a Disney Princess movie than Pixar. I really wanted to like it but just didn't.

The beginning was fine but I had seen all of the funny/good parts in all of the trailers and spots on the Disney Chanel.

The twist in the middle caught me off guard, and not in a good way. I see how it tied into the story but it was still underwhelming for me.

I am happy for all of those who enjoyed it, but for me, it is at the bottom of the Pixar movies along with Ratatouille and Wall-E.

Comment

Yah I think it's all about expectations and that's partially the marketing's fault.

When you get a beautiful looking trailer about a girl riding a horse into mysterious forest with the tagline "If you could change your fate... would you?" And she's going against a bear and it's called BRAVE.

What do you think you're getting into? You're getting into an adventure! You're getting into something mystical. A fantasy. Something really interesting!

So what did we end up with? A great start to a mediocre story.

The essence of Brave was not changing your fate anymore. It became "i'm going to put a spell on my mum.". Not quite the adventure story we wanted because it turned into a physical comedy of hiding a bear through the castle.

They also went so far as to tell us how they were going to repair the spell, then actually doing it. Nothing was discovered. It was all spoon fed to us.

At least with Cars 2, at the heart of the spy movie, it's about being a good friend and accepting them for who they are. I still can't decide what the heart of Brave is supposed to be. Don't poison mom?

Comment

Man..the film is beautiful but.....it just to me get's boring about 30 mins in....would never thought I'd like a Cars film better but hey there is a first for everything

If the movie was a normal adventure like a Disney film then it would have been great..but sadly they waste a good main character on nothing more then a beautiful but boring fetch quest
                                Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

Am I the only one that was horrified to see nudity in a Disney film!?! Yes, the story was interesting, the scenery was beautiful, the characters were entertaining. Of course there are scores of little boys that laughed at the bare bottoms parading across the screen (I should mention the animation was realistic). I am sure there were chuckles when the extremely heavy chested baker stuffed a key down her shirt and the boy later dove down her shirt to retrieve it. I missed the delightful addition of the bears turning back into boys without any clothes because WE LEFT THE THEATER. I would not dream to take my children, nor would I go myself, to a movie where a string of men showed their rear ends and I am extremely disappointed we saw it on a Disney Pixar film! I had to remind myself I wasn’t watching something from the Shrek family of films. Some would say, “It is a PG. You should have expected a step above a G film.” Intense scenes, ok...dramatic storyline, I get it. This is a completely new category for Disney AND for Pixar! I have always loved Disney animated films and I have enthusiastically praised Pixar films for their incredible stories and clever jokes. Now I see them no better than any other studio that will do whatever it takes for a laugh. I cannot adequately express my disappointment in Disney Pixar and I am appalled at the lack of outcry about this!

Comment

i just saw the movie and i thought the this movie came out of as a random film. it was good but the movie itself came out as if they randomly made it for no reason. but still very enjoyable though. i did like the part where the people start to fight at dinner time. cute movie though

Comment

Originally posted by Stephanie Hamilton View Post
                                      Am I the only one that was horrified to see nudity in a Disney film!?! Yes, the story was interesting, the scenery was beautiful, the characters were entertaining. Of course there are scores of little boys that laughed at the bare bottoms parading across the screen (I should mention the animation was realistic). I am sure there were chuckles when the extremely heavy chested baker stuffed a key down her shirt and the boy later dove down her shirt to retrieve it. I missed the delightful addition of the bears turning back into boys without any clothes because WE LEFT THE THEATER. I would not dream to take my children, nor would I go myself, to a movie where a string of men showed their rear ends and I am extremely disappointed we saw it on a Disney Pixar film! I had to remind myself I wasn’t watching something from the Shrek family of films. Some would say, “It is a PG. You should have expected a step above a G film.” Intense scenes, ok...dramatic storyline, I get it. This is a completely new category for Disney AND for Pixar! I have always loved Disney animated films and I have enthusiastically praised Pixar films for their incredible stories and clever jokes. Now I see them no better than any other studio that will do whatever it takes for a laugh. I cannot adequately express my disappointment in Disney Pixar and I am appalled at the lack of outcry about this!
                                      I thought the nudity was humorous, and innocent. It wasn't intended to be lewd or lascivious.
                                      OT: As an aside, I think the U.S. has backwards ideas about nudity in general. Kids today don't even change for gym class, or shower afterwards! A naked body is nothing to be ashamed of.
                                      Amnesia used to be my favourite word, but I forgot it.

Comment

SPOILER ALERT BELOW!!!!!!!

Spoiler

Maybe it's because I love animated animal characters, but I'm surprised to see that so many people hate the plot twist. (We just saw a commercial on The Disney Channel which spoiled the twist. Good thing we had already seen it!)

Actually, I worked out the twist before seeing the movie, from seeing the trailer with the three identical boys and three identical cubs, and then a set of stickers with the female bear character, who I guessed to be Elinor. But it was nice to be proven right .

Elinor being a bear who act like Elinor, and then reverting to a bear that acts like a bear, points up who she really is and how devastated Merida would be if she lost her mother. This premise also sets up a lot of emotional dramatic moments - a mother not recognizing her own daughter, a man nearly killing his own wife, etc.

In the plot department, it did remind me of Princess and the Frog, in that they have to go waaaaaaaaaaay out in the wilderness to find out...that they have to go back to where they started.

A lot of people (critics and posters alike) are saying they were disappointed that the witch wasn't as strong of a villain as Malificent, Syndrome, etc. But I don't think she was supposed to be a villain. (There was that one trailer that dubbed her over a scene laughing evilly...I don't think that ever happened in the movie). Who I would compare her to is Edna Mode. Like the witch, Edna appeared halfway through the story, and only in a couple of scenes, but she was way more memorable. Still, I did think that modern reference cauldron gag was really funny, because, with the vials of potion, it seemed concievable to that universe (as opposed to if they had put a number keypad on the side of the cauldron or something).

The three boys/cubs are another nice example of Pixar pantomime, but it was interesting that their transformation (and the idea that they might spend the rest of their lives as "real bears") didn't seem to carry nearly the same dramatic concern as their mothers'.

So yeah, a solid entry to the Pixar canon, but I do hope that Disney lets them do more weird premises like a rat who wants to be gourmet chef or an old man who attaches balloons to his house and flies to South America. I wonder how many of those kinds of films were in development before the official Disney purchase, and how the purchase has changed the way Pixar develops stories
                                        Last edited by animagusurreal; 06-29-2012, 02:43 AM.
                                        "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
                                        Disney sequel):
                                        Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
                                        Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
                                        Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
                                        Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
                                        Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

Comment

Originally posted by AcmePunched View Post
                                          This isn't to say I didn't enjoy watching the film. I've seen it twice already, so that should be some indication. It has plenty of fun moments. But I only liked it, I didn't love it, which unfortunately makes this my least favorite Pixar film. (Yes, I even loved Cars 2! Why does everyone else hate it so much? ;__; ) Come on Pixar, your first female protagonist deserves better than this!

In other news, La Luna is possibly my new MOST favorite Pixar short. Go figure.
                                          To start off, I also really liked La Luna, probably one of my favorite shorts as well ... I'm also a fan of Cars 2, though not as good as the first, I do like it. I've probably seen both Cars films more than 30 times, thanks to my boy.

Brave is beautifully animated, as expected from Pixar. I love all the detail in the animation. I agree with some that the film seem to start of great, then kind of got lost along the way. I did feel like I was watching two different films somehow entangled together. That said, I did like the film and gave it 4 stars. While the nudity didn't bother me so much, the name DreamWorks certainly came to mind when I saw it. I think Pixar was a little off the mark on this one, but I would still recommend seeing it.
                                          sigpic

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X