Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wreck It Ralph - a triumph! Destined for huge box office success!

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wreck It Ralph - a triumph! Destined for huge box office success!

Saw it on Monday.. loved it.

For King Candy.. I immediately thought of The Toymaker from Babes in Toyland. Given the setting of Sugar Rush, and the Ed Wynn acting.. that's what I thought of. Anyone else?

I also assume the arcade attendant was supposed to be Walter Day (of the high score keeping Twin Galaxies)

I found the movie tear jerking at times.. and a great film. Its story is masked enough it doesn't feel like 'heres what coming...' all the time. The cameos are good.. the idea of the power strip is very cute. I was hoping for a bit more classic arcade twists.. but there was certainly enough to wet your whistle.

I still wonder how these films will last over time compared to other 'classics' - with my main concern with the use of contemporary pop in the soundtracks and some of the pop culture references (the Mentos, etc). But certainly worth the price of admission and left me willing to recommend the film (or see it again).. something the Tron did not
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Originally posted by sleepyjeff
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Comment

I <3 'd Wreck It Ralph more then I did Pixar's Cars II (there's no Princess in this film, its just an overall quality animated story where seeing Q-bert was my favorite scene) .... I enjoyed it on a different level compared to Pixar's Brave (which I enjoyed because it wasn't a traditional "disney princess" movie) - my only complaints for October / November?

1) put the Walt back in Disney (I'm not a fan of the new Walt Disney Pictures intro)
      2) should've done a better job marketing Frankenweenie (feels like the Walt Disney Co didn't even try & there is so much merchandise potential they are not bothering to explore)
      3) bring on the Wreck It Ralph Android app (why does everything have to be iPhone only? (rolls eyes)

Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	7.8 KB
ID:	7345376

C J
      sigpic

I <3 Making Friends Who Share The Same Interests :-)

http://www.facebook.com/darkamor

http://www.twitter.com/darkamor

Comment

Howdy Pards,

Well...I'm headed back to see it again tomorrow.

Funny how some of the lines in this movie stick with ya...like...say...

"Hey! My arm's gettin' tired. Have we gotta deal or not?"

If you haven't voted in our poll yet...go see the movie...then, tell us what you thought about it.

Adios for now. Talk to ya on down the trail.

Wild Ol' Dan

I can hear the bronco's neighin', I can hear the cowboys sing,
        I'd like to be in Texas for the Round-up in the Spring."
        sigpic

Comment

A good film, but I'm hoping if there is another film that more video game characters are in the film.

Also not spend sooo much time in one game zone, because that is was funny, cute and was animated beautifully a 4/5 for me
          Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

Definitely Disney's best all CGI offering thus far. Puts Tangled, Bolt, etc. to shame.

Comment

Great Picture of John C. Reilly. I LOVE his little Ralph Pocket Protector!

Click image for larger version

Name:	John C. Reilly.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	7345388

Ta Da!

Comment

Howdy Pards,

Well, I saw it for the second time this morning...strange how you catch even more of the magic on second viewing. It's a wonderful, fast moving, adventure packed ride. It will be interesting to see how it does at the Box Office in it's second weekend. If you haven't seen it yet...go see it. If you have seen it...do as I did...go back and see it again...

And, if you haven't voted in our poll after seeing it...please take a minute to do so. At this point over 70% of those responding are in agreement that the film is an absolute triumph for Walt Disney Animation.

Wild Ol' Dan

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
                  Saw it on Monday.. loved it.

For King Candy.. I immediately thought of The Toymaker from Babes in Toyland. Given the setting of Sugar Rush, and the Ed Wynn acting.. that's what I thought of. Anyone else?

Howdy flynnibus,

Me too!

Wild Ol' Dan
                  Last edited by Wild Ol' Dan; 11-10-2012, 06:47 AM.

sigpic

Comment

Howdy Pards,

"this movie kinda fires on all cylinders, you're gonna laugh, you're gonna cry, and you're gonna have a really good time."

Box Office Actual as of Friday, November 11th...

Total Lifetime Grosses:
                    Domestic: $93,690,000 78.1%
                    + Foreign: $26,300,000 21.9%

= Worldwide: $119,990,000

Wild Ol' Dan
                    Last edited by Wild Ol' Dan; 11-11-2012, 02:48 PM.

sigpic

Comment

Some random thoughts on Wreck-It Ralph -

The thing I liked the most about it was how it had the distinctive Disney look, and yet was visually unique unto itself, with all those different video game styles colliding with each other.

There's a scene between Ralph and King Candy that reminds me of the "Mowgli has to go back to the man village" scene with Baloo and Bagheera, which sells the dramatic side of the plot.
                      Spoiler
                      When he's telling Ralph why Vanellope can't race. I like how that part was played totally straight, so you didn't know if he was lying or not until later. The plot twists were well foreshadowed, but actually surprised me, which is pretty rare for an animated Disney movie. I totally didn't see the Turbo thing coming. Interesting that the hero of the movie was a rogue game villain and the villain was a rogue game hero.

The one thing I wondered was - what happens when the player loses at the game of Fix-It Felix, Jr.? If you've ever played those old arcade games, after you pass each screen, there comes another, more difficult screen - most likely you're eventually going to die. So what happens when Ralph "wins?" I can picture a scene where Ralph gloats (as he's programmed to do), the player points at him and says, "I hate you!" (like we all wanted to do to that laughing dog from Duck Hunt), and then Ralph feels bad. (This would be towards the beginning, establishing why Ralph feels dissatisfied with his life.)
                      "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
                      Disney sequel):
                      Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
                      Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
                      Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
                      Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
                      Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

Comment

Howdy Pards,

As I look back at the job I had most of my life...it was very much like being thrown off a roof everyday. Only for me it was 32 years...instead of 30. So...I understand Ralph's desire to be invited to the party...to be accepted by his co-workers...to have a piece of pie or cake for a change. I understand his desire to prove that he could be a good guy if given the chance.

Twas a feller named Henry David Thoreau as I recall who said, "Most men lead lives of quiet desperation."

So...Ralph went off into whole other worlds to win a Gold Medal like the one Fix It Felix got nearly every game.

We all have a desire to escape the commonplace. That's why we walk through those tunnels and gates at Disneyland and Walt Disney World. To find an elusive thing called happiness.

There is something to be said for the routine...I suppose. Especially if it keeps the lights on and keeps food in the refrigerator...but...deep down inside...a good many of us sometimes feel trapped by the ordinary. We feel the need to explore...to search for a better, happier, more meaningful existence than...well, just existing.

So...like Ralph...we yearn to be recognized...to be understood...to be loved...to be accepted by others.

Now...there are many lessons to be learned from Wreck It Ralph. Perhaps the most profound lesson of all however is the lessons he learned when he began to help Vanellope achieve her goals...her dreams. It seems one of the best ways to find happiness yourself is by helping other people achieve the things that make them happy.

It was a special moment when Vanellope ran back into the cave to get Ralph the homemade, heart shaped "medal" she had made for him... remember?

Yep...I reckon there were many lessons to be learned from this wonderful movie. Life lessons. Lessons about the value of friendship...encouragement...caring about others...and, are you ready for this? This grizzled ol' cowhand is just gonna come right out and say it...love.

Vanellope Von Schweetz proved to be a mighty wonderful friend to have, and, in the end Ralph knew he didn't need a medal to be a good guy. "Because if that little kid likes me, how bad can I be?"

Wreck It Ralph is a movie with heart. And...it's a movie with lessons we all need to learn.

Wild Ol' Dan

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TCadillac View Post
                          Definitely Disney's best all CGI offering thus far. Puts Tangled, Bolt, etc. to shame.
                          Maybe no Tangled.....that's still a good film too...and I liked the songs and for me music can really make a film a instant classic like Tangled and the Muppets
                          Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

'Wreck-It Ralph' crosses $100 million mark at domestic box office today!
                            "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Comment

I loved it, rarely do I give a 5 in the poll but this one did it.

I'm sure being a kid in the late 70's and 80's had a lot to do with my love for this film. I saw it with 10 other people, from my nephew who's 10 and my dad who's 61 and everyone really enjoyed it. Worked on all generations very well.

Comment

Originally posted by aashee View Post
                                I loved it, rarely do I give a 5 in the poll but this one did it.

I'm sure being a kid in the late 70's and 80's had a lot to do with my love for this film. I saw it with 10 other people, from my nephew who's 10 and my dad who's 61 and everyone really enjoyed it. Worked on all generations very well.
                                Very good point and I agree. Even my 62 year old dad was laughing along with my 8 year old boy. My dad liked "why did the hero flush the toilet...."

:lol:

Ta Da!

Comment

Howdy Pards,

As of November 12th,

Total Lifetime Grosses
                                  Domestic: $99,556,758 79.1%
                                  + Foreign: $26,300,000 20.9%

= Worldwide: $125,856,758

Wild Ol' Dan

sigpic

Comment

its a bit sad that the film is already flat lining and if the $150mil cost mentioned previously is true... this film doesn't look like much of a financial success.

With costs being so high.. and theatre runs being so short.. this is kind of scary for movies going forward. The cost of films or prices.. something is gonna break.
                                    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
                                    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Originally posted by sleepyjeff
                                    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Comment

Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
                                      its a bit sad that the film is already flat lining and if the $150mil cost mentioned previously is true... this film doesn't look like much of a financial success.

With costs being so high.. and theatre runs being so short.. this is kind of scary for movies going forward. The cost of films or prices.. something is gonna break.
                                      Howdy flynnibus,

Have no fear. BRAVE has already brought in a HALF A BILLION dollars at the box office...and it was just released on Blu-ray/DVD yesterday. It's headed for a Billion easy.

Wreck It Ralph has barely opened up overseas. Once it does it's box office is gonna soar and, I believe, exceed BRAVE in Box Office results. Disney knows what it is doing. Wreck It Ralph is hardly "flatlining" as you say. It's gonna be a HUGE financial success!

And, all this is not counting toys and other merchandise that will see sales through the roof this Holiday Season.

Disney planted a little seed at the cost of $165 million...it will see returns well past a billion dollars for Wreck It Ralph.

Taint nuthin' to worry about.

As of November 12th...

Total Lifetime Grosses

Domestic: $101,011,607 79.3%
                                      + Foreign: $26,300,000 20.7%

= Worldwide: $127,311,607
                                      Production Budget: $165 million
                                      Remember, this thing was released on November 2nd...

Excellent reviews...excellent word of mouth...a triumph...headed for HUGE box office success.

Wild Ol' Dan
                                      Last edited by Wild Ol' Dan; 11-14-2012, 11:41 AM.

sigpic

Comment

Just saw Skyfall this evening, but will definitely see Ralph next week.

Comment

Howdy Pards,

Here's the estimated box office total as of November 16th...

Total Lifetime Grosses
                                          Domestic: $107,591,000 80.4%
                                          + Foreign: $26,300,000 19.6%

= Worldwide: $133,891,000
                                          If you haven't voted in our poll yet, go see the movie then give us your thoughts.

Wild Ol' Dan

sigpic

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X