Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Couple being sued over "UP" house :(

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • News Couple being sued over "UP" house :(

    People are silly, I think the house looks fine and keeps up w/the victorian home styles and I've definitely seen crazier house color palettes in San Francisco and LA.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	transparent.gif
Views:	1
Size:	43 Bytes
ID:	7375028

    Click image for larger version

Name:	transparent.gif
Views:	1
Size:	43 Bytes
ID:	7375028
    Couple Sued Over "Up" House in Santa Clara | NBC Bay Area


    p.s.

    It's not as nice as this one

    http://hookedonhouses.net/2011/07/11...built-in-utah/
    Last edited by Chineseandamovie; 05-01-2014, 06:04 AM.

  • #2
    Re: Couple being sued over "UP" house

    After reading the article, it seems the concern is more about lead paint toxicity and whether their repaint/remodel is compliant with rules and regs related to toxic substance removal. We live in a neighborhood with many Victorian era homes, so I've seen firsthand the effects of improperly cleaned lead paint issues. One neighbor actually had to have a HAZMAT team scrape about 8" of dirt from their property and that of the adjacent neighbors due to lead paint chips.

    That being said, if these folks are raising cain about the lead as retaliation for the color choice, they can also come to my neighborhood to see the "Pepto Bismol" house. They will be grateful for this couple's moderate paint scheme!
    sigpic
    “That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Couple being sued over "UP" house

      Originally posted by Attic Haunt View Post
      After reading the article, it seems the concern is more about lead paint toxicity and whether their repaint/remodel is compliant with rules and regs related to toxic substance removal. We live in a neighborhood with many Victorian era homes, so I've seen firsthand the effects of improperly cleaned lead paint issues. One neighbor actually had to have a HAZMAT team scrape about 8" of dirt from their property and that of the adjacent neighbors due to lead paint chips.

      That being said, if these folks are raising cain about the lead as retaliation for the color choice, they can also come to my neighborhood to see the "Pepto Bismol" house. They will be grateful for this couple's moderate paint scheme!
      Yeah I agree. The led and bad chemicals is no bueno.

      Funny story for you, I was watching Family Feud recently and one of the questions was "Name a color you would paint your house to upset your neighbors?" and the number 1 answer was HOT PINK lol

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Couple being sued over "UP" house

        My neighbors freaked out (100 year old houses), because they thought I was sanding off lead paint. I had to explain to them I had ALREADY removed the paint with an infrared paint stripper, and what I was sanding was the wood, and that it was connected to a full HEPA compliant shop vac. People freak out over lead paint way to easily.
        Matt's September, 2015 Solo after the Safari Sunrise Trip Report
        World Famous Jungle Cruise Safari Sunrise Premium Experience Trip Report
        My February, 2015 Dapper Day Trip Report
        My October, 2014 Family Vacation with Mickey's Halloween Party
        My September, 2014 Dapper Day Trip Report
        My August, 2014 Solo Trip Report - 1901/C33 Jazz Club
        My June, 2014 Solo Trip Report
        My February, 2014 Dapper Day Trip Report
        My Epic May, 2013 Trip Report
        My October, 2011 Trip Report
        My October, 2010 Trip Report

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Couple being sued over "UP" house

          Is is really lead though? I'm just asking because reading that article, the neighbors claim it really isn't the paint color that bothers them, it's the lead, and yet I thought we stopped selling lead-based paint back in 1977 when the CPSC banned it for use. Is that even available anymore? ( Sorry if this is an obvious answer but I don't do much painting, I wouldn't know. I just assumed we no longer make lead based paint. )

          There was a local freeway that started construction in the early 90's and it was tied up in court for a decade because of the "spotted gnat-catcher" or some other environmental excuse. In the end, no matter what their claims were in the lawsuit, the local residents were really just suing because they didn't want the freeway going in. ( Even though their homes were built at the same time the land around them was being graded for a freeway so you know, no surprise there, no legacy homes to be infringed upon. ) Any time I hear residents say it's really not about the color, I'm thinking it's really about the color but they'll go with "lead paint" because it's a reason that doesn't monsterize them.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Couple being sued over "UP" house

            Originally posted by fifthrider View Post
            Is is really lead though? I'm just asking because reading that article, the neighbors claim it really isn't the paint color that bothers them, it's the lead, and yet I thought we stopped selling lead-based paint back in 1977 when the CPSC banned it for use. Is that even available anymore? ( Sorry if this is an obvious answer but I don't do much painting, I wouldn't know. I just assumed we no longer make lead based paint. )
            If it is, indeed, the paint they are worried about it isn't the new paint going on, it is the old paint on the house that has to be scraped. Even if the house has been painted several times since the 70s, there is likely lead paint layering under what is there.
            sigpic
            “That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
            but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
            ​I'm blogging here again!

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Couple being sued over "UP" house

              I think it's a great color scheme! Real Victorians are colorful beauties, not drab monochromatic boxes. That being said, if there's a lead issue, the owners should deal with it pronto. Lead poisoning is nothing to take lightly. I hope they and their neighbors can work together to insure everyone's safety while not worrying so much about color. Check Google images for "Painted Ladies," and see what real Victorians look like.

              I want an "Up" house!

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Couple being sued over "UP" house

                Originally posted by tgdiver View Post
                I think it's a great color scheme! Real Victorians are colorful beauties, not drab monochromatic boxes. That being said, if there's a lead issue, the owners should deal with it pronto. Lead poisoning is nothing to take lightly. I hope they and their neighbors can work together to insure everyone's safety while not worrying so much about color. Check Google images for "Painted Ladies," and see what real Victorians look like.

                I want an "Up" house!
                Actually Victorians were painted in natural tones, so darker reds, browns, greens and yellows. The bright color Victorians are more of a recent thing from SF.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Couple being sued over "UP" house

                  Ah, thanks for the clarification. Yeah, if they're not disposing of scraped lead paint then wow, that's a problem.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Couple being sued over "UP" house

                    Originally posted by fifthrider View Post
                    Ah, thanks for the clarification. Yeah, if they're not disposing of scraped lead paint then wow, that's a problem.
                    I put my heat-scraped paint in a bucket, and then sand the wood with the sander attached to a HEPA filtered shopvac. All of it goes in the trash to the landfill which is already full of heavy metals and dioxins.
                    Matt's September, 2015 Solo after the Safari Sunrise Trip Report
                    World Famous Jungle Cruise Safari Sunrise Premium Experience Trip Report
                    My February, 2015 Dapper Day Trip Report
                    My October, 2014 Family Vacation with Mickey's Halloween Party
                    My September, 2014 Dapper Day Trip Report
                    My August, 2014 Solo Trip Report - 1901/C33 Jazz Club
                    My June, 2014 Solo Trip Report
                    My February, 2014 Dapper Day Trip Report
                    My Epic May, 2013 Trip Report
                    My October, 2011 Trip Report
                    My October, 2010 Trip Report

                    Comment

                    Ad Widget

                    Collapse
                    Working...
                    X