Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News I don't think Disney had this in mind when it decided to host piXar fest

The "X" is purely intentional.
    Pixar is set to release their next feature 'Coco' on Thanksgiving day.

Originally posted by hbdad
    I don't get the X
    Yea me neither.

Comment

This is definitely a hit to Disney and Pixar, but one I'm sure they can recover from. Disney is as much its cast members as it is its leaders and it's important that any issues regarding sexual harassment, etc. be dealt with. In the sister article regarding his memo and THR's reporting of his actions, we can learn more about what is causing this leave of absence. For what it's worth, here's a video of A Day in the Life of John Lasseter from 2011. If you skip ahead to about 7:55, you see some of the behavior talked about in the THR article. I know quite a few people that work with John, and based on what they tell me about how many hours he works per week, I'm sure this sabbatical might also be for his own personal recharging. Hopefully, too, in the time being, everyone at Disney is able to continue their work without relying on him (perhaps too heavily) the way they do now.

Comment

Originally posted by WaltDisney'sAlec View Post
        This is definitely a hit to Disney and Pixar, but one I'm sure they can recover from. Disney is as much its cast members as it is its leaders and it's important that any issues regarding sexual harassment, etc. be dealt with. In the sister article regarding his memo and THR's reporting of his actions, we can learn more about what is causing this leave of absence. For what it's worth, here's a video of A Day in the Life of John Lasseter from 2011. If you skip ahead to about 7:55, you see some of the behavior talked about in the THR article. I know quite a few people that work with John, and based on what they tell me about how many hours he works per week, I'm sure this sabbatical might also be for his own personal recharging. Hopefully, too, in the time being, everyone at Disney is able to continue their work without relying on him (perhaps too heavily) the way they do now.

I'm sure you're right, but it's still incredibly disappointing for those that loved Pixar and his work. Frankly, I'll never look at his name or his work as the same. That doesn't mean I won't continue to enjoy those projects, but it hurts. Even if he comes back as a new person, it'll take serious time to recover from this as a fan of Disney, Pixar and Lasseter. Hopefully he gets help.

How does this change Pixar Pier? Is his name still gonna be on all Pixar projects going forward? Disney invested a ton in him, obviously. I'm interested in seeing this play out.

Comment

Nothing will happen with Pixar Pier because the name is Pixar, not Lasseter. If people notice, a lot of these people who has been fired from pretty iconic brands have been gone but the companies keeps on ticking. All the plans for Pixar movie and theme park wise will keep going even if they have to shuffle staff to keep it going. Pixar is just too big a brand and while Lasseter was responsible for a lot of that its bigger than him now just like Disney is now bigger than the man who started it.

Comment

I think d1mex is right to wonder about Pixar Pier to some extent. It will continue to get built, but we need to remember that it was John Lasseter's protectiveness over Cars Land that fought for every last dime to be poured into the theming of the area. People may not remember it, but Micechat reporting at the time caught on to minor changes that were ordered by Lasseter himself in advance of the grand opening. Anyone remember the spinning Condor Flats radar sign that was broken most of the time? They fixed it in preparation for the grand re-opening of DCA, but when Lasseter saw it spinning off to the side of the Carthay Circle Theatre, he ordered it removed himself. Now, he perhaps may have chosen the 6-month timeline very carefully, as he can still make it back to DCA in time to have final approvals on the changes to Pixar Pier in May/June of next year. Whether the parks, movies, or overall faith in Disney suffer as a result will only become clear over time.

Comment

Originally posted by WaltDisney'sAlec View Post
              ...Now, he perhaps may have chosen the 6-month timeline very carefully, as he can still make it back to DCA in time to have final approvals on the changes to Pixar Pier in May/June of next year. Whether the parks, movies, or overall faith in Disney suffer as a result will only become clear over time.
              John won't be coming back. Members of management making inappropriate advances is a terminal offense at Disney: All members of management have to regularly sign off that they've read and agree to HR's rules. No exceptions, no second chances. Disney Legal is quite merciless in this regard -- and appropriately so.

John's done at Disney. He certainly will have no say in anything that happens in the Parks.
              "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
              Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
              imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

"I didn't know the story of baby Jesus could be any better,
              until Thor told it to me."
              -
              Young girl at Disneyland's 2017 Candlelight Ceremony
              narrated by Chris Hemsworth

Comment

This thread will be closed since there is already another one discussing the same thing.

Comment

Working...
                X