Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (merged)

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Queentitania19
    Making my own Mousekteers
    • Nov 2007

Re: Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

Originally posted by TrevorD View Post
    They wont make it without Jack, Will and Elizibeth. There not that stupid.
    Keira has already said that she won't do another movie. Orlando was very hesitant to commit himself to the project also. They aren't going to forgo making all that money just because of those two.... johnny on the other hand, they can't make another movie without him.
    sigpic
    I raise my Kitties right.... they only watch the finest shows.

Comment

• Retrocool
      Banned User
      • Sep 2007

I'm pleased that Geoffrey Rush is back. I expected that both Bloom and Knightley would not be returning, as that was the talk when At World's End came out, but I wasn't sure about Rush.

I'm probably going to be disappointed, but I would love for there to be a return, even as just a cameo, of Tia Dalma/Calypso. There's probably no reason for her to be in the next one, but I can dream.

Comment

• AlohaStitch
        "Always On The Move..."
        • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Retrocool View Post
        I'm pleased that Geoffrey Rush is back. I expected that both Bloom and Knightley would not be returning, as that was the talk when At World's End came out, but I wasn't sure about Rush.

I'm probably going to be disappointed, but I would love for there to be a return, even as just a cameo, of Tia Dalma/Calypso. There's probably no reason for her to be in the next one, but I can dream.
        I would LOVE it if Tia Dalma/Calypso made an appearance.
        Originally posted by migo
        I poop with joy!
        Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

Comment

• Retrocool
          Banned User
          • Sep 2007

Originally posted by AlohaStitch View Post
          I would LOVE it if Tia Dalma/Calypso made an appearance.
          Yeah, she left the scene rather suddenly in the last one, didn't she? Heck, they could even make a whole film series exploring the Davy Jones/Calypso relationship.

In fact, I have to disagree with the notion that without the Jack Sparrow character, there is no POTC. That's nonsense. POTC existed long before Jack Sparrow was thought up. POTC is a creative universe, and all sorts of characters, with all sorts of stories, exist in it. Sure, Jack's a great character, and we love him, and Depp is terrific in it, but that's not the ONLY story to be told from that world. There are tons and tons of others that could very easily become full-fledged movies (and they wouldn't have to cost $300 million a pop, either).

I'd even be amenable to a cable TV series.

Comment

• SnorkletsMom
            I see mouse people
            • Mar 2008

No Depp = no Jack = no POTC4.

Comment

• Queentitania19
              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by SnorkletsMom View Post

CORRECT!!

I absolutely love POTC but I would never go see a movie without Johnny Depp. And Davey Jones is the least interesting character in the entire series. He was so blah as a villain. Norrington is more interesting than him. Regardless it was Depp's off the wall character that carries the film.
              sigpic

Comment

• Retrocool
                Banned User
                • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Queentitania19 View Post
                I absolutely love POTC but I would never go see a movie without Johnny Depp.
                Oh please. You've seen plenty of movies without Johnny Depp.

Did you ever go on the ride before they installed Depp animatronic characters? If so, then there goes your Depp-only theory.

Comment

• Stitchy
                  Disappearing/Reappearing
                  • Jun 2006

In fact, I have to disagree with the notion that without the Jack Sparrow character, there is no POTC. That's nonsense. POTC existed long before Jack Sparrow was thought up. POTC is a creative universe, and all sorts of characters, with all sorts of stories, exist in it. Sure, Jack's a great character, and we love him, and Depp is terrific in it, but that's not the ONLY story to be told from that world. There are tons and tons of others that could very easily become full-fledged movies (and they wouldn't have to cost $300 million a pop, either).

I'd even be amenable to a cable TV series.
                  I have to disagree. Capt Jack Sparrow is the heart of the POTC movies. Without him, there's no point. Sure, there are a few other characters worthy of delving into their stories...but, Jack lends a certain je ne sais quoi that would surely be missed.

I also think a tv series would be a terrible idea. Tv...is the graveyard for good movies. As soon as a blockbuster becomes a series...you can sign it's death warrant. The thrill is over.

Originally posted by SnorkletsMom View Post
                  Originally posted by Queentitania19 View Post
                  CORRECT!!

I absolutely love POTC but I would never go see a movie without Johnny Depp. And Davey Jones is the least interesting character in the entire series. He was so blah as a villain. Norrington is more interesting than him. Regardless it was Depp's off the wall character that carries the film.
                  I agree. As I've said. If Johnny isn't in it, I won't be wasting my money. As much as I love POTC.....it just won't tempt me with out my Capt Jack.

Did you ever go on the ride before they installed Depp animatronic characters? If so, then there goes your Depp-only theory.
                  It's like this....

When they wrote the story of Titanic..they put in the characters of Rose and Jack to pull movie goers into the story. To make them emotionally connect to the movie. That way, they would FEEL the tragedy, instead of just seeing it.

With POTC...they basically did the same. They gave us Capt Jack Sparrow. An oddly attractive pirate with elaborate hand gestures, a fondness for rum, women and gold....and an accent slightly more decipherable than Ozzy Osbournes. Immediately, we fell for him. It's the old saying..."women want him...men want to BE him". Focusing the movie on him, drew our interest towards him. Now, we watch to find out what happens to him. To follow him...and his story.

Sure, the ride existed without Jack. But, quite simple....we didn't know Jack. Now, we do. And we like him.

A POTC movie without Jack....isn't a POTC movie worth watching.

Comment

• Queentitania19
                    • Nov 2007

Oh please.. yourself. You know I meant I wouldn't go to any POTC movie without Johnny Depp in it. Not that I would forgo all movies forever that didn't have him in it. Riding a ride and watching a movie are two very separate things, at least they should be.

As for TV, I have to disagree in general although for pirates in specific I agree that it would most likely be horrible. I actually like TV better anymore. I think there is more creativity and better writing on most TV shows than in movies nowadays. TV takes risks that mainstream film doesn't.
                    sigpic

Comment

The Movies and the Ride are truly seperate identities. Sure TDA pushed them together with refrences to one another, but the Movies need Jack while the ride doesn't. Besides, if Jack taps out, all three of the main characters are out leaving nothing but secondary characters to fill in their spots.

Comment

• Barbossa
                        Infinitized!
                        • Jan 2005

Nooooooo!
                        Jack Sparrow to be replaced by a new chracter in Pirates 5?

Comment

If that happens, I will not consider it as Pirates of the Caribbean

Comment

• SnorkletsMom
                            I see mouse people
                            • Mar 2008

POTC without Jack Sparrow.

Yeah, good luck with that.

Comment

• FantasmicNut
                              hugs and peaches!!!
                              • Dec 2008

I'm sad now. no Johnny is boring. a pirates without jack sparrow?! forget it. i might see it, but theres not a good chance i'll like it that much.

come on johnny! we need u!!
                              "Won't you please be my prisoner, please, please, please!"
                              "I do not like the cone of shame"
                              "Oh! A ball! Oh boy! Oh boy! a ball!!"
                              "Hey, I know a joke! A squirrel walks up to a tree and says, "I forgot to store acorns for the winter and now I am dead." Ha! It is funny because the squirrel gets dead."
                              "I hid under your porch because I love you."

-Dug=the cutest dog ever!!

sigpic

Comment

• Queentitania19
                                • Nov 2007

Seriously. Besides, Johnny said that his contract was contingent on his approval of the script. He can just say that he doesn't like the script and then we won't even get a 4th movie. This is a travesty.
                                sigpic

Comment

• Aladdin
                                  Prince Ali
                                  • Jan 2005

That "article" really is upfront, and it just appears to be trying to hype news from something that ain't. I wouldnt trust it at all. Johnny didn't like the 2nd and 3rd Pirates????????? Balderdash!
                                  Critter Country's a mess ev'r since the Country Bears were kicked out. Ya can't cover pooh with honey and 'spect people ta like it.
                                  An Adventurers It's Time to Put the Spotlight Back on Bring Back the REAL Disney Gallery
                                  Life for Me! ~ ~ ~ Melvin, Buff, and Max!!! ~~~~ Dump the Dream Suite!
                                  Meese-ka Moose-ka Mice-Chatter!

Comment

• Retrocool
                                    Banned User
                                    • Sep 2007

Or, they could just not make any Pirates 5, wait a decade or two, then revisit the franchise with all new characters, and MAYBE a cameo by an aging Johnny Depp.

Comment

• dmtnt55
                                      The 'Big Dreams' Kid
                                      • Jul 2009

So I believe On Stranger Tides is a book from 1988, about a man named Jack who is looking for the Fountain of Youth, and the bad guy is Blackbeard.

Sounds awesome!

Sooo excited, can't wait! I'm so first in line! Midnight showing, anyone?

Comment

• Retrocool
                                        Banned User
                                        • Sep 2007

Originally posted by dmtnt55 View Post
                                        So I believe On Stranger Tides is a book from 1988, about a man named Jack who is looking for the Fountain of Youth, and the bad guy is Blackbeard.

Sounds awesome!

Sooo excited, can't wait! I'm so first in line! Midnight showing, anyone?
                                        On Stranger Tides - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Huh! I'll be damned!

Comment

Someone posted that previous story earlier. I wonder how that affected the first three films?

It seems Disney even owns the rights for that story (link)

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X