• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ALIASd
    Top Shelf!
    MiceChat News Team
    • Jun 2005

Brad Bird's '1952'

As previously reported here, Director Brad Bird will follow-up his massive global success with 'Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol' with a secretive new film for Disney entitled '1952'. The script by Damon Lindelof ('Prometheus') and Jeff Jensen is loosely described as a 'Close Encounters of the Third Kind'-esque film with humans meeting aliens on Earth. Oscar-winning actor George Clooney is currently in talks to star.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006
  • ALIASd
    Top Shelf!
    MiceChat News Team
    • Jun 2005

Re: Brad Bird's 'TOMORROWLAND'

'1952'
    is now titled
    'TOMORROWLAND'

12/19/14
    Last edited by ALIASd; 01-28-2013, 12:01 PM. Reason: FILM TITLE CHANGE
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Comment

• ALIASd
      Top Shelf!
      MiceChat News Team
      • Jun 2005

Re: Brad Bird's '1952'

On January 23rd Director and Co-Writer Brad Bird released a photo with the first clues to the film's mysterious premise via his Twitter account:

@BradBirdA113 "The Box...opened"

Note: could a Mod please change the thread title from 1952 to Tomorrowland, thanks!

Comment

• Hathaway Browne
        MiceChatter
        • Jul 2008

There's a few suggestions already that this could be about the land, rather than just sharing the name due to the 1952 working title.

Makes me wonder, could it be about Disneyland and its creation or even the plans for EPCOT City?
        Nah, probably not. I'm guessing it'll be some sort of sci-fi. Can't wait to hear a synopsis either way.
        sigpic

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
        Walt Disney

Comment

• Hathaway Browne
          MiceChatter
          • Jul 2008

Well here is (although not confirmed) the plot for the film.

***** Avast! Thar be Spoilers ahead! *****

Short synopsis..
          Spoiler

A teenage girl, a genius middle-aged man (who was kicked out of Tomorrowland) and a pre-pubescent girl robot attempt to get to and unravel what happened to Tomorrowland, which exists in an alternative dimension, in order to save Earth.

and in a bit more detail:

Spoiler

The “Tomorrowland” that they keep referring to in this break-down appears to be a place where science has blown past the world we live in, and when Frank Walker was a young man, he first encountered the promise of Tomorrowland at the 1964 World’s Fair. David Nix was there, showing off his own work, and he told Walker to come back when he was older and his inventions actually worked. A girl named Athena saw great promise in 11-year-old Frank, though, and she snuck him into Tomorrowland. Eventually, Frank was discovered by Nix and thrown out, but not before learning that the girl he loved, Athena, was actually a robot.
          By the time we meet Frank in the film, he’s much older, and George Clooney is set to play the part. Nix is the role that Hugh Laurie is signed for, and by the point the main story of the film kicks in, Nix has been in charge of Disneyland for many years, and he’s become rotten, corrupt. Athena, unchanged since Frank was a young man, plays a key role in the film, and the hero is a girl named Casey who has a quick scientific mind that becomes important as the story unfolds. Nix is a guy who values technical accomplishment over creative thinking, and when he throws Frank out of Tomorrowland, he’s not alone. Every creative thinker is banished, allowing Nix to focus purely on aesthetics and technical advancement for its own sake.

/film.com
          sigpic

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
          Walt Disney

Comment

• swampymarsh
            Under that tree again!
            • Nov 2011

This is only slightly on topic.

Tomorrowland.com is taken, not owned by Disney. I find that strange and a terrible lack of forthought on their part.

If you go to that site you will find tomorroland.com is for promoting an annual music festival in Europe.
            Be Cool Stay in School!
            Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Comment

• sediment
              Banned User
              • Jan 2005

Isn't he also doing a movie called "1906"? About the SF quake?

Comment

• CaliforniaAdventurer
                MiceChatter
                • Jan 2005

Once upon a time, I forget what year.

Comment

• ALIASd
                  Top Shelf!
                  MiceChat News Team
                  • Jun 2005

Re: Brad Bird's 'TOMORROWLAND'

Originally posted by ALIASd View Post
                  '1952'
                  is now titled
                  'TOMORROWLAND'

12/19/14
                  Attn MOD: Request to have TOMORROWLAND added/changed into thread title
                  Thanks!

Bird has '1906' still on backburner, waiting for WB to bite for large sfx budget for a period film. Another hit like 'M:IGP' couldn't hurt...

Comment

• CaliforniaAdventurer
                    MiceChatter
                    • Jan 2005

I'd like to see him do 1984, too, when the year comes that he's not too busy.

Comment

• sediment
                      Banned User
                      • Jan 2005

Ghost Protocol was pretty good, for an unrealistic action film.
                      I liked the humor in it. I'm guessing that is mostly Brad Bird's doing.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X