Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tomorrowland Movie $ Gross - Flop or something else?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Chat] Tomorrowland Movie $ Gross - Flop or something else?

I just looked at the box office returns for Tomorrowland. Domestic plus international - it brought in $205m on a production budget of $190m. There were 28 movies in the last 52 weeks that did better.

Critics were mixed on the film, and the public seemed to be too. However, is this really considered a flop - An original film that was #1 at the box office, #29 overall for the year, and over $200,000,000 in box office returns? DVD sales and rentals will also be interesting. DVD sales in particular will be an indicator if the film developed a cult following.

Seems to me that the problem was not interest or performance, it was just too expensive to produce. Budget the film at $90 to $100m, and it's probably considered a success. The entire ending action sequence, with all the special effects, probably cost a fortune and that was the worst part (at least to me).

Re: Tomorrowland Movie $ Gross - Flop or something else?

This doesn't account for all the marketing financial losses and other various costs. This movie lost money. It's a flop

Comment

Originally posted by Nemo123 View Post
      This doesn't account for all the marketing financial losses and other various costs. This movie lost money. It's a flop
      I agree with your accounting assessment - but the point of the post is to look at the underlying factors. On a lessor production budget, a $200m box office gross could be considered very successful. Candidly, where/how did they spend $190m making it? That budget seems way high to me. For example, I think Jurassic world had a production cost of $150m ....

Comment

No it wasn't that it was too expensive, it was because the movie stunk.

Like I have said before, if they would have given us what they teased it would have been successful. Instead, they gave us George Clooney and a hot chick trying to act like a tomboy trying to stop Dr. House and his army of robots from taking over the world.

I wanted small world.

I wanted DL.

I wanted a top secret program that selects guests from DL to travel to an alternate universe called Tomorrowland.

I don't think I have ever been upset with a movie like I am with TL.

Approximately 1.2% of the posts in the Walt Disney World Resort MiceChat forum have been contributed by PlutoHasFleas

Comment

What this weekend looked like this:

What 'Tomorrowland' did in 11 weeks
          Quote by Al:
          To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
          -Al Lutz

Comment

Have not see it myself, but I have heard mixed reviews. Regardless, I think in the eyes of all the people who make the important decisions it was not a financial success and Disney will adjust their plan accordingly.

Get ready for more Sequels and live action imaginings of classic characters.
            I open a toy, review it and take mediocore pictures. Read all about it HERE!

Originally posted by VintageMouse;n8463446

You know best :-)

Comment

Definitely a flop, but depending on your point of view, that doesn't mean that we won't see more of it in the parks.

Scenario # 1
              Disney decides that Tomorrowland is a disaster, and they never mention it again, a la Light Magic. It becomes taboo among the executives.

Scenario # 2
              Disney decides that they did not get their money's worth out of the movie, HOWEVER everyone does acknowledge that the visuals are awesome, so they decide to use those visuals that they've already paid to develop anyway to retheme Tomorrowland here at DL, rather than spending more money and paying someone else to develop a whole new design.
              Disneyland Cast Member
              Outdoor Vending
              1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:

http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

Comment

Originally posted by Big D View Post
                Definitely a flop, but depending on your point of view, that doesn't mean that we won't see more of it in the parks.

Scenario # 1
                Disney decides that Tomorrowland is a disaster, and they never mention it again, a la Light Magic. It becomes taboo among the executives.

Scenario # 2
                Disney decides that they did not get their money's worth out of the movie, HOWEVER everyone does acknowledge that the visuals are awesome, so they decide to use those visuals that they've already paid to develop anyway to retheme Tomorrowland here at DL, rather than spending more money and paying someone else to develop a whole new design.
                I agree Big D. And I actually forgot to tie my post back to DLR, and thus, it got moved. But, the point of my original post is that A LOT of people saw it and that it could still make it's way into the park.

Comment

Originally posted by Meville View Post
                  Have not see it myself, but I have heard mixed reviews. Regardless, I think in the eyes of all the people who make the important decisions it was not a financial success and Disney will adjust their plan accordingly.

Get ready for more Sequels and live action imaginings of classic characters.
                  I agree. In fact, I'm beginning to grow suspicious of the new paint jobs on the old Innoventions building and the Magic Eye Theater (plus, the theater's new sign).

We'll have see what D23 has is store.
                  "The happy haunts have recieved a faldric nomdage." ~Paul Frees

Originally posted by SOTSreleaseplease
                  The more Paul Frees, the better I say.

Comment

Working...
                  X