Olaf's Frozen Adventure is the worst Disney creation since Superstar Limo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olaf's Frozen Adventure is the worst Disney creation since Superstar Limo

If you see the outstanding Pixar movie "Coco" I suggest arriving 30 minutes after the show time. You'll miss some interesting previews, but it's worth it to also miss the 21-minute cartoon, "Olaf's Frozen Adventure," the worst Disney creation I've experienced since DCA's ride "Superstar Limo" or maybe even the early 70s (late 60s?) movie, "Snowball Express." It's just a sleazy attempt to sell Frozen merchandise this Christmas.

Very ouch baby. Tell us more!
    Jim in Merced CA - former cast member at Walt Disney World, Walt Disney Imagineering and Disneyland.

Comment

I've noticed people complaining about it online. I haven't seen it yet, but I know it was supposed to be a TV Christmas special(hence why its 22 minutes). I was surprised that the Lopezs' did not write the music. I did hear a sample of the music and it was somewhat "meh".

Comment

It was perfectly fine. Olaf was actually tolerable in it, and Elsa & Anna had some great comedic bits (Idina Menzel is an underrated actress when it comes to comedy). Also, ELSA'S DRESS WAS AWESOME!!!!!

The main issue was that it was like 21 minutes long, in front of a standard-length animated movie, which was a bit long for a Disney production. Made for some bored kids by the end of Coco.

Comment

Let it go: Disney is stripping 'Olaf's Frozen Adventure' from 'Coco' screenings
          "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
          Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
          imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

"I didn't know the story of baby Jesus could be any better,
          until Thor told it to me."
          -
          Young girl at Disneyland's 2017 Candlelight Ceremony

Comment

They DID say that it was a limited engagement, though.

Comment

^ If Disney had announced it as a limited engagement before it opened, no problem. But if they didn't announce it as limited engagement, and then they discovered issues with it, and yanked it with the excuse of "we only meant it as a limited engagement all along," that's bs. I don't know which one it was. But the article mentions audience confusion -- which might mean that Disney got complaints from the exhibitors. When there are a lot of kids in your audience, and the parents have taken them to see Coco, forcing them to first sit through a featurette-length piece that they didn't come to see can be problematic. Disney knows that as well as anyone in the business -- it's surprising that they did it.

- Neil Gabler

-

Comment

KTLA: Disney to Remove ‘Olaf’s Frozen Adventure’ Short From ‘Coco’ Screenings

A quote:

No, fans did not love “Olaf’s Frozen Adventure,” but that’s not reportedly why the short is being pulled from theaters.

EW reports the Disney short film, which has been screening before Pixar’s acclaimed new animated film “Coco,” was always meant to have a short run.

But the ending of showings as of December 8 led some to speculate it was because fans have been panning it.

“The Olaf’s Frozen short movie before COCO was a torture to my eyes,” actor Ashish Chanchlani tweeted. “It was a slow poison getting on my nerves. One of the worst things Disney has ever made.”

According to Mashable, “The Frozen short has been especially problematic for a number of reasons.”

“Length is the biggest issue, of course, since the actual movie doesn’t start until 40 minutes after the advertised time, between trailers, ads, and Olaf,” the publication reported. “That’s a lot of extra sitting around for an audience comprised primarily of kids expecting a story about music and family, set against the backdrop of Mexico’s Dia de los Muertos”....

And from the EW story "Here's why Olaf's Frozen Adventure is really leaving Coco screenings"

Mashable called the pairing of Olaf’s Frozen Adventure with Coco, which received glowing reviews and recently won Best Animated Film from the New York Film Critics Circle, “culturally tone-deaf.” Other critics have echoed the sentiment.

“We are creatures of habit, and Olaf’s Frozen Adventure eventually feels like the grinning house guest who won’t leave, even though the party was supposed to clear out long ago,” reported The Washington Post. “As each successive song in the four-tune reel cues up, moviegoers’ reactions can be heard to switch from laughing irritation to growing mockery to outright anger.”

- Neil Gabler

-

Comment

Working...
                X