Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blurr View Post

3 months. They’ve said Dec. 4th is when it becomes available for all subscribers at no extra fee. Which I’d definitely recommend to anyone with a Disney+ account whose “meh” about the whole thing.
    I might watch it when it becomes available as a standard offering, but I wouldn't pay the $30 for it. I finally broke down and watched Rise of Skywalker and I feel Mulan will give me the same bad taste. But who can resist staring at the accident on the other side of the freeway?
    We need another Walt...and fast!

"It's always more difficult to recover than it is to do the right thing at the beginning" - Tony Baxter,
    The Imagineering Story, Episode 4 "Hit or Miss"

Comment

Originally posted by Laugh-O-Grams View Post

I might watch it when it becomes available as a standard offering, but I wouldn't pay the $30 for it. I finally broke down and watched Rise of Skywalker and I feel Mulan will give me the same bad taste. But who can resist staring at the accident on the other side of the freeway?
      LMAO!! Good point..

Comment

Aladdin was the only recent live action I liked. Lion King, Maleficent (1 and 2), Dumbo, all meh. They just keep choking that golden goose of the vault. I just hope they get some more thoughtful people thinking up what would be worthy of a remake. I'm getting scared for Jungle Cruise now.

I also would like a remake of 20k, but I figure they'd ruin that too, and I don't think they could plus it.
        Matt's 40th Birthday Disneyland Trip. Club 33, Napa Rose, and Adventureland Suite!!! ~~|~~ Katherine's 11th Birthday Dapper Day trip with Club 33 ~~|~~ Matt's Review of the Art of the Craft Tour at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel ~~|~~ My Spring, 2017 Dapper Day Trip Report ~~|~~ My Fall, 2016 Dapper Day and Club33 Trip Report ~~|~~ My Summer, 2016 Walt's LA tour with Bob Gurr and Marty Skylar ~~|~~ My Summer, 2016 Family Firsts Trip Report ~~|~~ Matt's September, 2015 Solo after the Safari Sunrise Trip Report ~~|~~ World Famous Jungle Cruise Safari Sunrise Premium Experience Trip Report ~~|~~ My February, 2015 Dapper Day Trip Report ~~|~~ My October, 2014 Family Vacation with Mickey's Halloween Party ~~|~~ My September, 2014 Dapper Day Trip Report ~~|~~ My August, 2014 Solo Trip Report - 1901/C33 Jazz Club ~~|~~ My June, 2014 Solo Trip Report ~~|~~ My February, 2014 Dapper Day Trip Report ~~|~~ My Epic May, 2013 Trip Report ~~|~~ My October, 2011 Trip Report ~~|~~ My October, 2010 Trip Report

Comment

Originally posted by whoever View Post
          Aladdin was the only recent live action I liked. Lion King, Maleficent (1 and 2), Dumbo, all meh. They just keep choking that golden goose of the vault. I just hope they get some more thoughtful people thinking up what would be worthy of a remake. I'm getting scared for Jungle Cruise now.

I also would like a remake of 20k, but I figure they'd ruin that too, and I don't think they could plus it.
          Golden goose is right!

Regarding Mulan, I've heard from enough critics that it subtracts so much from the animated original, and then adds nothing interesting to replace those elements.

Also, they gave Mulan superpowers when the whole point of her character was to train and make herself a better soldier. It's almost like they took the heart out, and sold the masses a skeleton.

Comment

Jeremy Jahns explained the movie well.

Comment

For what its worth, my 8 year old nephew saw it and said he loved it.

More than the cartoon version.

And this dude is a regular Siskel & Ebert haha

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Andy View Post

Golden goose is right!

Regarding Mulan, I've heard from enough critics that it subtracts so much from the animated original, and then adds nothing interesting to replace those elements.

Also, they gave Mulan superpowers when the whole point of her character was to train and make herself a better soldier. It's almost like they took the heart out, and sold the masses a skeleton.
                BINGO!! Thats all I was trying to say. They ripped the guts out and we got "Crouching Mulan Hidden story line" :-)
                Last edited by YeaDZNY; 09-11-2020, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Backlash over filming 'Mulan' in Xinjiang 'generated a lot of issues,' admits Disney

"Hong Kong (CNN Business) - A top Disney executive has acknowledged that the uproar over its movie 'Mulan' has caused 'issues' for the company.

The remarks — given by Chief Financial Officer Christine McCarthy at a Bank of America conference on Thursday — come after days of online criticism directed toward Disney (DIS) and just before the film's theater premiere in China on Friday. In the credits of the movie, the company thanked a Chinese government agency accused of human rights abuses in Xinjiang for its help in making the film. Disney had not previously spoken publicly about the issue.

'Mulan was primarily shot in, almost the entirety, in New Zealand. And in an effort to accurately depict some of the unique landscape and geography of the country of China for this historically period piece drama, we filmed scenery in 20 different locations in China,' McCarthy told analysts at the conference, which was held virtually.

McCarthy said it was 'common knowledge' that filming in China requires the permission of government publicity departments, and noted that it is standard practice to 'acknowledge in the film's credits, the national and local governments that allowed you to film there.'

'So in our credits, that was recognized, both China as well as locations in New Zealand. And I would just leave it at that,' she said. 'But that's generated a lot of issues for us.'

McCarthy did not elaborate on what those 'issues' were, and Disney did not immediately respond to a request for further comment outside of US business hours....

The move by Disney to credit Chinese agencies was immediately met with a fierce backlash. Critics demanded that Disney clarify its dealings with authorities in Xinjiang, while some social media users called for people to boycott the movie.

Asked by an analyst on Thursday whether she thought the controversy would affect the film's performance, McCarthy demurred.

'I'm not a box office predictor [or] prognosticator,' she said. 'But I will say that it has generated a lot of publicity.'

Earlier this week, McCarthy told investors at a separate conference that the studio was 'very pleased' with the initial response to the film's release over the Labor Day holiday weekend...."

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                  it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                  together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                  designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                  - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                  - Bob Chapek

Comment

Poor artistic level, misunderstanding of Chinese culture lead to Mulan failure in China.
                    “Not the least hard thing to bear when they go from us, these quiet friends, is that they carry away with them
                    so many years of our own lives.”

DL Trips: '58, '59, '61, '65, '66, '67, '68x2, '69x2, '70x2, '71x2, '73x2, '74x2, '75x2, '76x2, '77, '78,x2, '79x2, '80x2, '81, '82, '83, '88, '89x3, '90x2, '91, '93, '94, '95x2, '96, '97, '98x4, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07x2, '08, '09x2, '10, '11, '13
                    WDW Trips: '81
                    EPCOT Trips: '93
                    Tokyo DL Trips: '86

Comment

Mulan is underperforming in China:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/new...es/ar-BB18Z9jo

Speaking of China, I'm no fan of Florida Senator Rick Scott, but I do like that he's joining human rights groups and pushing to not let China host the 2022 Winter Olympics.

https://global.espn.com/olympics/sto...olympics-china

Comment

Can't be any worse than the trash beauty and the beast

Comment

Originally posted by calvegas04 View Post
                          Can't be any worse than the trash beauty and the beast
                          That's for sure! I thought so before watching it. But, unfortunately, afterwards I understood they are equally trashy.

Comment

Hahahaha!! Disney, what a bunch of shills. So much for "exclusivity"

Mulan's Disney Plus exclusive ends Tuesday, going on sale via Amazon, Vudu, others

"Disney's Mulan will become more widely available Tuesday after it had been a Disney Plus exclusive since Sept. 4, with other online stores like Amazon Video, Vudu and Fandango Now already offering preorders Thursday for the $30 digital movie purchase. By going on sale outside Disney Plus and no longer requiring a $7-a-month membership for a purchase, the movie will essentially be cheaper in the other stores."

Comment

Originally posted by Jar.Jar.Abrams View Post
                              Hahahaha!! Disney, what a bunch of shills. So much for "exclusivity"

Mulan's Disney Plus exclusive ends Tuesday, going on sale via Amazon, Vudu, others

"Disney's Mulan will become more widely available Tuesday after it had been a Disney Plus exclusive since Sept. 4, with other online stores like Amazon Video, Vudu and Fandango Now already offering preorders Thursday for the $30 digital movie purchase. By going on sale outside Disney Plus and no longer requiring a $7-a-month membership for a purchase, the movie will essentially be cheaper in the other stores."
                              As one who spent a chunk o' bucks on souvenir light bulbs from the Main Street Electrical Parade per Disney's vow that it was "Glowing Away Forever," this doesn't surprise me.
                              "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                              it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                              together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                              designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                              - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                              - Bob Chapek

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X