Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

MiceChat Rules

A list of MiceChat's rules can be found at the top of the Disneyland forum.
2 of 2 < >

Ad Blockers

Please do not use ad blocking software when visiting MiceChat. It costs money to keep MiceChat online, and ad revenue offsets this. Thank you.
See more
See less

Animatronics before Walt Disney was even Born

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Other] Animatronics before Walt Disney was even Born

Turns out there was a man named Henri Maillardet who invented an automaton which was incredibly advanced for its day. He died in 1830 before Walt Disney was even born.
    Attached Files
    When I go to Disneyland, I tune my FRS Radio to channel 2, without a quiet code. They're faster than a cell phone and you can talk to a whole group at a time, and you don't have to get everyone's cell phone number in advance.

Re: Animatronics before Walt Disney was even Born

Originally posted by MikeChat View Post
    Turns out there was a man named Henri Maillardet who invented an automaton which was incredibly advanced for its day. He died in 1830 before Walt Disney was even born.
    Walt Disney did not invent everything, but he took what was there and made it 100 times better.

Comment

From Wikipedia:

Maillardet's automaton (or Draughtsman-Writer, sometime also known as Maelzel's Juvenile Artist orJuvenile Artist) is an automaton built in London circa 1800 by a Swiss mechanician, Henri Maillardet. This automaton was a principal inspiration for Brian Selznick's book, The Invention of Hugo Cabret which was later adapted to make the film titled Hugo directed by Martin Scorsese.

Comment

There were many of these types of displays of advanced mechanical engineering in this era, often called "clockwork" items.

Comment

These amazing machines go wayyy back. Here's one from the 1770s:

Incredible mechanical boy built 240 years ago who could actually write

Walt saw these things on his trips to Europe and was fascinated by them. They were part of the inspiration for his proposed "Disneylandia" traveling exhibit of miniature 3D animated scenes.
          "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
          Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
          imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Comment

These are great-- I've been fascinated by mechanical toys since taking a class back in college. Makes me want to dig up some old projects.

Comment

The movie Hugo features many of these.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X